Aiming at a Computer related career...

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
Hey guys I saw The-Shadows thread and it really got me thinking. I've always known that I wanted to do a computer related job, but the more I read in on the challenges you need to face it becomes a little scary. I am only 14 so I have plenty of time to focus on what I need done, but my main worry is what grades I need to get into a computer related job (and uni course) and what subjects do I need to ace.

Last semester I got an overall grade of B in english, science, and maths. But this semester I've been getting constant A's in english assignments and I believe I could either get a B or A in maths. I'm not sure if that is good enough, but I really would like to know. If it is of any importance I might be getting an A in a web page design course, and I'm doing a lot of computer courses next year.

Thanks in advanced,

(To sum it up, I'd like to know which subjects I need to pass and what grades would I need to get to get into some computer related uni course and career).

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You just need to pass your courses. Your grades and your College Test Scores will determine what kind of college you can get into. The better your grades and the higher your test scores the better a college that will accept you.

IT is a very large field. You can be a programmer, a graphics designer, do webpages, be a sysadmin, be a network tech, and many more. What you classes you should be taking kind of depend on what area you want to get into.

I highly suggest that you talk to your school counselor about courses that you might be able to take at your current level. Look into Universities that have good Computer Curriculms and check out the types of classes that you have to take to get a Computer Science degree. Set a goal on what school you want to go to and try to decide as early as you can what you want to do so you can tailor your studies and research towards that.

Good Planning, a strong work ethic and common sense in the decisions you make now for your future will greatly help you. Just make sure you talk to people about this that are qualified to help. That would be your school counselors and heck you can even call the universities and talk to someone there about what they think you should do. Its great to ask in forums but take what you get here with a grain of salt.

Good Luck!

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
this is a tech support site. not a college prep site. if you want information on what to do. search it up.

This might be surprising but. People go to college.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
this is a tech support site. not a college prep site. if you want information on what to do. search it up.

This is a general discussion forum, don't get it confused with the sites intentions. There are seperate forums for technical support. I only come here to get feedback on my Warcraft 3 project, enjoy the general community, and get some world editor help. I was scared of the challenges mentioned in The-Shadows thread so I asked for a little guidence, why is that so wrong?

This might be surprising but. People go to college.

Exactly what are you saying?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
You're 14. Long way to go. Wanting to do Computer now doesn't mean it will stay till when you graduate.

I wanted to be an Engineer at 12. Graphic design at 15-17. Then, Biotechnology. And then, Microbiologist...

All different fields... So, yeah, long way for you to go. And the maths you're learning now will not be same in future. Maths always gets harder. You're probably doing variables etc now. Who knows, you may learn to hate maths in future? But of course, it's good to have ambition, which gives you a goal to set.

Edit:
Oh, as far as I know, Computer Science requires you to take up Maths in your high school. That's all. Average score will do. In college, you'll probably take up English, Com Science, Maths etc. In university... no comment, depends on your field. But of course, this may differ in different countries.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I thought you learn variables at like 11 or something, lol.

Well if you're not in high school, see if your area or state or place has those like specialized high schools rofl. Like in my state, there's these other groups of high schools that go for the entire state consisting of like Comp Sci, Communcations, Bio Tech, Army or something, and more.
Or if you are in high-school and your place has those specialized schools, maybe be a share-time kid, rofl.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I wanted to be an Engineer at 12. Graphic design at 15-17. Then, Biotechnology. And then, Microbiologist...

I wanted to be a pilot... then a soldier, then a cop... then a air force pilot (combined two), then just rich, then I did become a soldier to piss my dad off, then I got left out of the will so I'm not rich, and then I was a mechanic for a shitty shop and now I'm unemployed.

Drop out of school, get a GED, and hack something the NSA owns. You'll go to prison until you're 18 and then the NSA will probably hire you to hack stuff.

And you being 14 explains SO much.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score

There are 11 Year Old's who are more mature than the 23 Year Old's on the web.

So yeah. Being 14 means (almost) nothing.

Varine

Reaction score

There are 11 Year Old's who are more mature than the 23 Year Old's on the web.

So yeah. Being 14 means (almost) nothing.

Uhh... not about maturity, I didn't even state what it explains. It's just the way he acts when I talk to him about things and his use of language. But thanks for jumping in. Here's a makeshift smiley face, just for you: =).

Varine

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you'll need to be good in math to get a IT career

Not really, you need to have some of the concepts down, but unless he's going to be doing game design or something involving math it's not completely necessary. And then it's only for things like physics and programming.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
You don't eve really need a lot math with programming, unless your doing some pretty advanced programs.

Yeah, math is something everyone should be able to do, but for programming, unless your doing some pretty complex shi-, you'll do fine with average math grades.

Varine

Reaction score
You don't eve really need a lot math with programming, unless your doing some pretty advanced programs.

Yeah, math is something everyone should be able to do, but for programming, unless your doing some pretty complex shi-, you'll do fine with average math grades.

I meant for game designs when you're incorporating things like physics and pathing and AI. If you're writing a word processor, no, I don't think it's going to be very necessary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.