Health Alcohol more dangerous than heroin, cocaine

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study.

British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole.

Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Last edited by a moderator:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I always wondered how alcohol is legal but pot is not in our modern times. Either pot should be legalized or alcohol should be illegal, or even both should occur.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Everybody knows that alcohol are dangerous, if you drink to much, and It's very dangerous to use alcohol and drugs at the same time.
But say alcohol are more dangerous then crack, heroin? and the other crap drugs? What a BULLSHIT!
Seriously, what's this guy been smoking?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> But say alcohol are more dangerous then crack, heroin? and the other crap drugs? What a BULLSHIT!
I read an article on the same topic on Telegraph. These rankings also factor in the damage to society the drug does. Alcohol does considerably more damage to society than heroin.

...Apparently. Then again, that might be because of how easy it is to obtain.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
But say alcohol are more dangerous then crack, heroin? and the other crap drugs? What a BULLSHIT!
You should probably read the article again. At no point does it say that crack and heroin are less dangerous that alcohol. What it does say is that alcohol has a higher social impact and that other drugs, like lsd and ecstasy, are less dangerous.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Everybody knows that alcohol are dangerous, if you drink to much, and It's very dangerous to use alcohol and drugs at the same time.

I don't get why you go into every post pertaining to drugs and try to against scientific arguments with, "omg no, that's not the way I see it, so it can't be!".

You quoted the article's title...what good does that do for your argument other than verify that you haven't read beyond the headline?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
No? Well, they should not say "Alcohol is more dangerous" Isn't that so?
I probably should have used the word "lethal" or "dangerous to the individual". The article is actually pretty specific that it means "dangerous to the society as a whole", if you read more than the first two lines.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210 contains the weight used to merge the two different rankings together. It doesn't delve any deeper on why those particular weights are in any way significant though.
Edit2: Paper: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61462-6/fulltext I wouldn't really call this a study though, it's a panel of experts trying to dumb down the science so much that decision makers can understand it. I guess it makes good headlines but doesn't really contribute anything new.

FireCat

Reaction score
I probably should have used the word "lethal" or "dangerous to the individual". The article is actually pretty specific that it means "dangerous to the society as a whole", if you read more than the first two lines.

I read the whole article, well kinda fast. but it wasent nothing new news on it Really.
And the article are a bit misleading. Well, however, like romek said It's easier to obtain, than drugs and maybe is more dangerous for whole society.
but I highly doubt it is. Its equally. Well, and this study wasn't about the whole world right?

Anyway, a summary: Alcohol are bad if you abuse it and drugs screw your life. That's It

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
and to society as a whole.
This is where it fails according to me.
Heroin and Cocaine is more difficult to obtain, if it was legal to use them I can without a doubt say that they will do more harm to society than alcohol. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that:thdown:

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
probably because coke and heroin and not particularly "social" drugs, especially compared to alcohol.
EDIT: how do you measure social damage anyways?

Zakyath

Reaction score
>EDIT: how do you measure social damage anyways?

"Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison."

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Okay guys, hear me out here!

Cus there's this one thing that is even more dangerous then alcohol. It kills thousands of people every day.
It's high calory foods! It raises the cholesterol of so many people making them much closer to getting heart attacks.

No more coke! No more candy!

See the similarities? (I confess to exagerating)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Anyway, a summary: Alcohol are bad if you abuse it and drugs screw your life. That's It

that's half of it, and personally that's the half that I don't care about (for reasons that you said) - what I do care about is if a drunk driver hits me and then I get hurt because of it, or I develop cancer because of smoke from smokers who refuse to smoke off-campus

so what is the danger to me (or others) if a person uses Heroin or Cocaine, and does it compare to the impact of alcoholics/smokers?

@ Ninja sheep - same thing, they don't adversely affect me, (or nowhere near as much as alcoholics/smokers do), so I don't really care so much

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score

SOME drugs screw you life, Drugs like heroin, meth, PCP, and those types screw you up. Recreational use of drugs like MDMA (Ecstasy), LSD (Acid), and Shrooms are not as bad for you as you think, they only really get harmful if you overdose or misuse them.

I go to raves quite often and have seen and experienced said drugs myself. The ONLY people you ever see getting hurt at these events are the ones that drop way too many rolls of ecstasy or another drug and overdose, or drop pills and not keep hydrated. All ecstasy does is make your serotonin releasers in your brain release serotonin at a faster rate than normal, which is why your senses and self confidence and love are much higher, as your emotions are raised. However, if you take too much of it at one time, you have no more serotonin and therefore you have problems, it causes brain damage and what not. If you take ecstasy responsibly, the only downsides to it is that you constantly clinch your jaw the whole time, so you HAVE to chew on something like gum, or some people use pacifiers (not my thing...), or you chew your tongue up. The second being that after you're coming down from your trip, you get REALLY depressed, sometimes to the point where you start crying and have no idea why. This is due to your serotonin levels being lower than they're supposed to, and your emotions are skewed.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, Firecat, but you really should do a bit more research before making these "I know it's true" claims. It seems like all the "knowledge" of drugs that you know are all stuff the government throws out. While some of the stuff the government says is true, a LOT of it is scare tactics to make people scared of them. Look at ACTUAL research on the drug, and not what some higher-up tells you.

Note: I don't condone or recommend drug use. While I have dabbled in certain things, I research them a lot. Discussions about drugs interest me, it's not that I want to do them or anything, I just like knowing things like this. I'm just weird I guess. Lol

Heres some sites to check out for some actual FACTS about the drugs and not just what some government tells you.

http://dancesafe.org

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
i dont really care how safe or unsafe a drug is.
what concerns me is how doing drugs changes people.

people who use drugs are often really annoying to me.
i went to alternative school for doing a prank in highschool and most of the other kids there were in for drug related stuff.
all they talked about all fucking day was how one time they did x number of such and such pills and smoked x amount of pot and drank x number of beers how high and drunk they were and how awesome it was. i went to a party and we were listening to one of my favorite albums and a guy across from me said to me how great it would be if he was rolling right now while listening to it, as if to say the things are so much better when drugged out of your mind.

my point is, i dont like drugs not because they can be dangerous, but because people who use them get to the point where the only way they can enjoy themselves is by getting high, and i dont want to ever get to that point where all colors and sensations seems dull and bland unless i am intoxicated.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
@perkeyone: While I agree that sucks, never have I felt that way. Sure, some people do, but those ones are going to do it whether it's legal or illegal anyways. I said recreational use, not constant use. Just like every other thing in this world, there will be those dumbasses who abuse it, yes. But with that theory in your head, we should take away cars because there are the few that speed and get in wrecks and kill people. You can't punish the general public for the stupidity of a very small percent.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
i totally agree about not punishing everyone for a few mess ups but i guess i just havent really met many of the tolerable ones =/

the halloween party i went to, i greeted a guy at the door and shook his hand, introduced myself. the other people there were playing a game called apples to apples. i took it upon myself to explain to him briefly how it was played and his reply was something along the lines of "oh yeah, my friend tried to explain the to me earlier but i was high" this was the first time i had met this person and already... within 5 mins of talking to him... he decided to would be appropriate to share that he does drugs.

he, along with a few other guys ended up talking about drugs for most of the night night. the game of apples to apples hadnt even finished and out of nowhere they asked if they were the only ones there who smoke pot... you could feel the awkwardness in the air pressing down on everyone. they proceeded to go into a long discussion about all the benefits of smoking pot and about how it is not that bad for you. i really didnt give 2 shits about any of the points he made my only problem was that he, being the drug user that he is, took it upon himself to change the topic of group conversation to drugs...

FireCat

Reaction score
what I do care about is if a drunk driver hits me and then I get hurt because of it, or I develop cancer because of smoke from smokers who refuse to smoke off-campus
Thats about you. lol But If your child might start using drugs, "alcohol abuse". Well, maybe your friends Or a family member?
I mean if you doesn't really care so much. hmm So would you do something about it or not?

Note: I don't condone or recommend drug use. While I have dabbled in certain things, I research them a lot. Discussions about drugs interest me, it's not that I want to do them or anything, I just like knowing things like this. I'm just weird I guess. Lol
LOL DDRtists Well, you can be a bit stubborn in your ways :p
But from what I am reading on your posts, Well, I can't fully accept it.
but some was kind of interesting to read. lol

"Just if!"
If all of your research wasn't right at all, well, say after a couple of years
What would you say?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.