Alice in Wonderland (2010)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Alice in Wonderland

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/aliceinwonderland/hd/

From Walt Disney Pictures and visionary director Tim Burton comes an epic 3D fantasy adventure ALICE IN WONDERLAND, a magical and imaginative twist on some of the most beloved stories of all time. JOHNNY DEPP stars as the Mad Hatter and MIA WASIKOWSKA as 19-year-old Alice, who returns to the whimsical world she first encountered as a young girl, reuniting with her childhood friends: the White Rabbit, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Dormouse, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire Cat, and of course, the Mad Hatter. Alice embarks on a fantastical journey to find her true destiny and end the Red Queen’s reign of terror. The all-star cast also includes ANNE HATHAWAY, HELENA BONHAM CARTER and CRISPIN GLOVER.

I kno dat everybody knos dis. So dis is like a squequel to da first story?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
So I heard the caterpillar is being played by Alan Rickman. Can't wait to see that bit of it, heh.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
This shit is going to be even crazier than the cartoon version. It's a legal acid trip.

Dyslexia://

Reaction score
If you people want to experience drugs without actually doing them, watching this in 3D is basically the same effect. :thup:

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Saw it and liked it...I dont think johnny depp should have been hatter though, it wasn't one of his better roles to me, as for anne hathaway being white queen I don't believe she had a big enough role...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If you people want to experience drugs without actually doing them, watching this in 3D is basically the same effect. :thup:

Far from it.

Good movie though. The dancing was weird as hell....

Jonny Depp was pretty much a little crazier Jack Sparrow.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Spoilers throughout this post, if you don't want to be bothered reading it all, basically the film blows and is a waste of your money due to its slew of stereo types, lack of plot/direction and unclever site gags. If you call me out on it blowing and don't read my post, prepare for mortal kombat.

And sorry for the general sloppyness of my trains of thoughts, but this isn't being marked so Ho-ho.

I kno dat everybody knos dis. So dis is like a squequel to da first story

Yes sequel to the animated. Animated she's a little girl and is sort of discovering this world. That's why in this new one she's older, and the people keep referencing her, and saying "oh its not her, she's too old or w/e".

So I heard the caterpillar is being played by Alan Rickman. Can't wait to see that bit of it, heh.

He just voice acted. The character looks nothing like him, and its a poor performance. Its basically just his typical pole up the ass "everything is stupid except for me." He has a lot of silly lines that are supposed to be philosophical while making childish analogies to the after life and metamorphosis of a caterpillar. Anything intelligent he says is then juxtaposed by a very sternly said "You stupid girl.' It just doesn't fit.

This shit is going to be even crazier than the cartoon version. It's a legal acid trip.

I saw it in 3d, while visually pleasing, most of the environments are quite ugly due to the barren look. Some characters are painful to watch after a while, the Queen of hearts is funny at first with her big head, but is just annoying after like 5 minutes. The nutter with the mad hatter is just a feat of CG uglyness, and you get to watch him be goony.

Towards the end there's several models and skins on the CG stuff of significantly lower quality then previously in the film. I suspect thinning budget. Clearest example I can think of is the dragon blood that's extracted looks like its hardly integrated into the film at all, and it just stands out really really poorly.

Or instead spend your $10 on actual drugs and end up with a memorable experience. This movie while visually entertaining is not much else, and even then its not really superb in any aspect. Avatar whoops it, Up whoops it, the old Reboot television show is as visually pleasing.

Saw it and liked it...I dont think johnny depp should have been hatter though, it wasn't one of his better roles to me, as for anne hathaway being white queen I don't believe she had a big enough role...

Apparently Johnny Depp really wanted to be in the film and even offered to play female characters (this is according to some critics snuffy reviews, I have no idea where they got their info from). His role was far larger then in the novel, and I thought was just unecessary. His role as the hatter seemed liek a chance to just be like "Look I'm wackey!". Watching him felt like watching the gong show.

Anne Hathaway had a stronger performance, despite doing significantly less. Her weird floaty walking around got a bit silly, it should have been toned down. The makeup done on her was very inconsistent. She's got pale skin, they made her more pale, gave her black lipstick, and almost every scene she's in, towards the end pinkness starts showing through on her lips. Its a little funny if you just sit down and focus on it.

Good movie though. The dancing was weird as hell....

Yea about that... Its likely already clear I didn't like the film, but theres a fair bit of reasoning behind that.

If we focus on a few key components, it starts with a man who lays on some "Its ok to be weird" moral lines to his daughter who speaks like a 40 year old victorian era woman. Fast forward to the future, she's at a proposal ceremony of sorts, her dads died who was just established to have a good bond with the daughter, but she hardly seems to care about that. Some girls aproach her and they annoy her, so through the power of black mail/gossip 'defeats them' (gotta make sure the girls have a role model to look up to).

Her suiter is a ginger who has highly stereotyped role portrayal. He is proper, uninterested in imagination, has a shallow chin, a weak bladder, and is joked about by other characters. He makes lots of goofy faces. He asks her for marriage, and so Alice runs away. Because a strong female protagonist runs away from conflict. That's how its done, amirite?

So she chases a rabbit, appears in wonderland, and theres a montage of "Look funny looking CG characters all doing their own thing trying to be funny!".

Intro scenes of wonderland is her shrinking and growing, and her clothing constantly falling off. While its not explicit, throughout the whole movie she's basically in clothing that's falling off which I found suggestive of the possibility of nudity. I guess it was a PG attempt at holding older male audiences attention.

Bit of banter about prophecies and loyalty, and some stupid lines like "No I make my own future" to which I guess I was supposed to be like "wow she's not doing what society wants her to! She's totally standing up to Victorian standards and social norms!"

So then Johnny Depp comes on scene and he just jabbers away. I will note he is red haired as well, is dressed like a homeless man, is crazy, and while we 'side' with him, hardly is a positive reflection of the ginger stereotype already portrayed. Its weird to think that what is sold as a 'dream world', the counterpart to the real world ginger is still far far from perfect.

Anywho, theres a lot of random needles in eye balls, and cheap site gags that would make Buster Keaton moan in his grave.

So we get to the climactic scene, basically a 2 minute cheesy cliche fight scene against a dragon whoosoe head gets lopped off and bounces around for nearly as long as the fight. Then the hatter does his CG dance with some non diegetic music (over imposed / dubbed) like right after the dragon's death. The villain is banished to an eternity of miserableness, and Alice goes home.

She makes a deal with the man who bought her dad's company and is like "Lets open a trade route with the Chineese!" and he goes "By jove what a mad idea, but ok!"

The end.

I'd give it 1.5/5 stars tops. I'm aware the movie is based on a novel based on a mans exploration of opiates, but director Tim Burton has no excuse for just watering it down to CG gags and stupid moral cliche lines and stereotypes (also, theres no black/mexican/asian/european/inuit/anything thats not white people). Like most of his work, its needlessly quirky for the sake of being different, proposes lots of lines of action that go no where, and ultimately has the conclusion of "Nothing happened, and I have made no intellectual commentaries on anything, but I got your $10, haha!"

sqrage

Reaction score
I also found it odd that there were NO other races than whites in the movie.

You do make some good points that i noticed throughout the movie too, but they didnt bother me as much. It was PG afterall and i believe Disney holds the rights to Alice in Wonderland so im thinking they controlled certain aspects of the movie.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
I heard this movie wasn't that good, but that Tim Burton fans and children will still enjoy it aplenty. At least that's what I heard.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
I heard this movie wasn't that good, but that Tim Burton fans and children will still enjoy it aplenty. At least that's what I heard.

Not everyone is children, and from the looks of it though, this one is slightly darker, just slightly.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I went with a friend to the 3D version of it, and I quite enjoyed it. Haven't seen the first in a long long time, and I'm not a huge fan of it, so I didn't notice the differences in them or anything about how they're alike or not alike, I just enjoyed it for the movie it was.

sqrage

Reaction score
I went with a friend to the 3D version of it, and I quite enjoyed it. Haven't seen the first in a long long time, and I'm not a huge fan of it, so I didn't notice the differences in them or anything about how they're alike or not alike, I just enjoyed it for the movie it was.

Well they're not the same plot. This is the sequel when she goes back once she's older. :p

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I also found it odd that there were NO other races than whites in the movie.

It was based both Alice in Wonderland and the sequel (written in 1875) by an Englishman who was a pedophile trying to get a little girl to like him. Of course there isn't any other races in it.

The movie, I found it amazing. Majorly because I was expecting it to be horrible and only follow the Mad Hatter (because of all the Johnny Depp fanatics) and completely ignore Alice. As for the CG, it was necessary and I found it amazing how they did it all. Like when Alice shrinks and grows and how they make the other actors react to her in that situation. (Looking up, looking down, etc.)

Afterall this is a fantasy land. So to make it more magical you're going to need CG

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I thought it was alright. If they had started with an original idea with the same premise, it would have been better.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Mia Wasikowska looked pretty hot in the movie, not so much normally though. In my opinion, of course. :thup:

alice-in-wonderland-wonderland-mia.jpg

sqrage

Reaction score
I actually thought the opposite. While I was sitting there watching the movie, I was constantly thinking "Couldn't they find someone hotter to play Alice?"

Blonde eyebrows are not my thing.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
I actually thought the opposite. While I was sitting there watching the movie, I was constantly thinking "Couldn't they find someone hotter to play Alice?"

Middle ground here, she's fine looking and the movie didn't need a hot Alice, but she looked like she was straining herself or wincing most of the time. In 3'd things are greyed down a bit (cause of the polarized glasses) and she looked like she was sick and dieing. Without them its not such an issue, once in Wonderland cause the de-saturation filter gets lifted... but it is unusual to see such pale actors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.