Report Almost 1 out of 4 26 Year Olds still live with Parents

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A ten-year survey of millennials reveals that almost one in four (22.6%) 26-year-olds are still living with their parents.
The U.S. Department of Education report confirmed that, if you are tired of living with Mom and Dad, then do your homework and stay in school. According to the survey titled “Where Are They Now," education makes a difference: generally those with more schooling were less likely to be living at home. The study shed some light on how older millennials have been faring during the Great Recession.

According to a Pew Research analysis of the 2012 data, lower levels of employment, an increase in college enrollment, and a decrease in young people getting married are major factors in the increase of millennials living at home.

The survey followed 13,000 high school students who were sophomores in 2002, and checked in with them in 2012 to see where are they now.

10% living with roommate(s), prompting fellow millennial Katy Waldman to write an embarrassing Slate article bearing the headline, "More 27-Year-Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates"
53.8 percent made less than $25,000 from employment in 2011
40% had been unemployed for one or more months since January 2009
13% reported they were neither working for pay nor taking postsecondary courses
60.2 % of those who had enrolled in college, reported they had taken out student loans

Last edited:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to be the 60.2% some time in the future. Costs of living converted from New Taiwan Dollars to USD is really expensive as hell. I truly wish for something that can cut down costs like Paul Bunyan cutting down trees.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Not at all weird. If someone can't afford to live elsewhere through crap wages or unemployment. Well, why not?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Nice Paul Bunyan analogy, don't see those every day.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Indeed. Next time I want to see a Johnny Appleseed reference.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Not hard to believe that so many people stay with their parents, I do, although I'm busy studying so it's plain cheaper to drive through to my university everyday instead of renting a tiny, overpriced cardboard-box of a flat that's still a 20 minute walk away

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Not hard to believe that so many people stay with their parents, I do, although I'm busy studying so it's plain cheaper to drive through to my university everyday instead of renting a tiny, overpriced cardboard-box of a flat that's still a 20 minute walk away

Ah but you're not 26 are you?

My brother is going on 28 in June and he's still with the parents. You'd think at around his age he'd pick up n move out but ...

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
The way the article is written seems to imply that staying with one's parents is a bad thing.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Does he contribute something to the Household income?

Yes and no. Yes, he has a job & income, but he barely pays any rent and blows his money away. I dislike him for using our parents like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.