Alphaing Hero Glow

Jinxx

Reaction score
I'm working on an AoS map. It's always pissed me off that you can't attach a hero glow to non-hero models. I know that there's an importable (lol, is that even a word?) graphic on the hive that simulates hero glow, but I'd rather do without it (especially since some people are saying it's bugged).

Now, would it be possible to alpha out the hero glow texture, and then import that into the map so it overwrites the default one? If this can't be done, the only other solution I see is stripping off the glow in Magos model viewer, then importing the "stripped" model (and thus wasting ~200kB of my map's budget with each vanilla W3 model re-imported). I'd rather all the heroes in my map lack the glow, than have a mixed bunch of retards, some with glow, some without.

So, what sayeth the mighty forum?

Rushhour

Reaction score
I'm using the model of hiveworkshop which got attached to the origin of my hero and I didn't see any bugs or problems.
As far as I know this model doesn't have teamcolor, so you would need to get some of them to have it in the right color for your hero. Some more efford for maps with a lot of players, but it's doable.

What bugs are they speaking of exactly?

Sjaakje

Reaction score
How hard is it to just add the glow to those that don't have it. You need to make the ability once and boom you can add it to all with ease.
If getting to put it on a unit is your issue, we can help you with that with ease.
I haven't checked the hiveworkshop model, but I have had (don't have it anymore) a perfectly fine model from somewhere else that looked just as if the unit had the glow by its own already. Nothing's wrong with attachments!

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
The hero glow is an effect attached to the model itself, so editing the model's texture would do nothing. The model holds all the data on which textures that should be used and which effects that should be attached, so you'd have to edit the actual model to remove the effect. It might be possible to alpha whichever texture the hero glow model uses, but not something I would recommend since it's used for more than just the standard hero glow.

Attaching a hero glow to a unit isn't that hard. Hero glows use the unit's team color. A texture is a flat image that is wrapped around a model, and uses "alpha layers" to define transparency. An alpha layer is like a second layer beneath that affects the coloring of the texture, best explained by this image:

layers.jpg

The problem with getting a hero glow to work is whether the graphical attachment uses team color in the first place. Most abilities do not. However, some abilities like "Slow Aura (Tornado)" do use the unit's team color for the attachments. Then it's just a question of finding the right model to import.

Jinxx

Reaction score
What bugs are they speaking of exactly?
I read somewhere that the glow was broken for the new versions of the W3 Editor. I'm not sure though, I haven't tried it for myself yet. Still, I'd prefer to remove all glows if possible.

How hard is it to just add the glow to those that don't have it. You need to make the ability once and boom you can add it to all with ease.
If getting to put it on a unit is your issue, we can help you with that with ease.
I haven't checked the hiveworkshop model, but I have had (don't have it anymore) a perfectly fine model from somewhere else that looked just as if the unit had the glow by its own already. Nothing's wrong with attachments!
No no, attachments are all fine and well, and importing/attaching isn't really an issue. Still, if the glow graphic from the Hive isn't broken, and it works alright, I'll import it and attach it, but if possible, I'd like to remove the hero glows altogether - my map is a swampy/gloomy map with low vision and rain, and I'd like to preserve the atmosphere, and the hero glows kinda' wreck the immersion... :(

The model holds all the data on which textures that should be used and which effects that should be attached, so you'd have to edit the actual model to remove the effect.
Right, as I said, removing it with Magos, then importing the model without it, but that's just wasting room for nothing in the map if there's a way to simply alpha out the glow texture.

It might be possible to alpha whichever texture the hero glow model uses, but not something I would recommend since it's used for more than just the standard hero glow.
This! Also, if it's the hero glow texture, why would it be used in other models? :confused:

EDIT: What I mean is, why would it be used for anything except the glows which all heroes have?

The problem with getting a hero glow to work is whether the graphical attachment uses team color in the first place. Most abilities do not. However, some abilities like "Slow Aura (Tornado)" do use the unit's team color for the attachments.
Yes, that's my second option, and I'll do that if all else fails, but I'd really, really, *REALLEH* like to disable the glows altogether in order to preserve the gloomy and dark atmosphere in my map - a hero glowing in the middle of a rainy swamp for no reason really breaks immersion! :(

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
EDIT: What I mean is, why would it be used for anything except the glows which all heroes have?
I don't know enough to give you a sufficient answer, but the texture itself is (presumably) just a small white or grey layer with alpha. It might not even be larger than 6x6 pixels, just stretched across the model (which has no effect on the quality, since it's only one color). The transparency is a property of the hero glow model itself.

There's nothing stopping other models from using the same texture. I don't know whether they do or not, or which models that does. The thing is, replacing general textures is always discouraged because it ruins the resources most models share.
Yes, that's my second option, and I'll do that if all else fails, but I'd really, really, *REALLEH* like to disable the glows altogether in order to preserve the gloomy and dark atmosphere in my map - a hero glowing in the middle of a rainy swamp for no reason really breaks immersion! :(
How about just changing the unit's color to neutral? The glow becomes extremely faint when using the dark grey color.

Jinxx

Reaction score
How about just changing the unit's color to neutral? The glow becomes extremely faint when using the dark grey color.
Not a bad idea actually, and I'll probably do this if all else fails, but I'd still like to know if the glow texture can be alphaed out. :rolleyes:

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
If you import black textures to the paths ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow00.blp through TeamGlow15.blp, there will be no more hero glows. I'm uncertain if any other models use those textures, so beware that there may be unintended changes.

Jinxx

Reaction score
If you import black textures to the paths ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow00.blp through TeamGlow15.blp, there will be no more hero glows. I'm uncertain if any other models use those textures, so beware that there may be unintended changes.
Damnit Weep, you're like this encyclopedia of obscure and arcane W3 Editor Lore! What other hidden and mystical knowledge do you hide within that skull of yours? :D

Hmm... black textures you say? Exactly just what kind of black textures? Can it be just some tiny, totally black texture swatch done in GIMP?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe it could be 4 black pixels made in paint. maybe it would even work without any imported texture because models will not show up at all if they cannot find their proper texture. (though this might cause the whole hero model to disappear...)

Weep

Reaction score
Damnit Weep, you're like this encyclopedia of obscure and arcane W3 Editor Lore! What other hidden and mystical knowledge do you hide within that skull of yours? :D
I don't even know. :nuts: Just random bits I've learned from experimenting.

Hmm... black textures you say? Exactly just what kind of black textures? Can it be just some tiny, totally black texture swatch done in GIMP?
Sure, it ought to work. When testing it, I just copied Black32.blp from WC3's own files.

Jinxx

Reaction score
Sure, it ought to work. When testing it, I just copied Black32.blp from WC3's own files.

What's the path for "Black32.blp" (so that I can extract it with Magos)?

OT: How's your GDD-based damage module coming along? I'm just asking out of curiosity, *cough* *cough*, not because I'm waiting impatiently for you to finish it so that I can finally play around with a leak-free damage-prevention system... *cough* *sneeze* *wheeze*... ahem...

Weep

Reaction score
What's the path for "Black32.blp" (so that I can extract it with Magos)?
Textures\Black32.blp

*cough* *sneeze* *wheeze*... ahem...
You might want to have that looked at... :D

Probably a while yet. I don't release things until I've been trying them out for a couple weeks or so, to try to find any bugs and make any improvements that I can, and to make sure that it couldn't be made in a more useful way.

Jinxx

Reaction score
Textures\Black32.blp
Thanks Weep - I think it's about time I pwned a hero glow or two! :thup:

...and to make sure that it couldn't be made in a more useful way.
A perfectionist, eh? Well, just take all the time you need, looking forward to the release! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.