am i using ";" right?

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
One day Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura were all walking along together; Sasuke was on the far right of Naruto at the time

yeah i like naruto
but i need to know if im using that right

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Yes.

Semicolons can be used to separate a compound sentence.
Though, in my opinion, you could construct that sentence so that it flows together a bit better.

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
What would the "official" say be on where to use semi-colons? I generally always know what to place and where when I'm writing, like I could never tell you how to use "effect" and "affect" in their respective places, but I always know which to use when it comes to it.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
How were they walking, where were they walking, and why were they walking?

EDIT:

What would the "official" say be on where to use semi-colons? I generally always know what to place and where when I'm writing, like I could never tell you how to use "effect" and "affect" in their respective places, but I always know which to use when it comes to it.
Literature is an art. There's no official way, you're literature teachers lie.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Use a semicolon to combine two related complete sentences.

Use a semicolon to separate a series of phrases or clauses that already have commas included.

Ghan

Staff member
Semicolons are also used to introduce subordinating conjunctions such as although, still, while, and until when creating a compound sentence.

Yes, I'm a grammar Nazi. :D

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Semicolons are also used to introduce subordinating conjunctions such as although, still, while, and until when creating a compound sentence.

Yes, I'm a grammar Nazi. :D
Wow, you should meet my grammar teacher.. :p

1337Elite

I've read that you could, in simplest terms, think of semicolon as "and". Not sure if it's true though, as I very rarely use it.

Ghan

Staff member
My friend ; I went to the party.

Doesn't really work ALL the time. :p
It can be used in place of an and that's acting as a conjunction between two complete sentences, I think. Not all the time. :D

1337Elite

It's safe to say that it has many uses. ^^

From Wikipedia: "It binds two sentences more closely than they would be if separated by a full stop/period. It often replaces a conjunction such as and or but."

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Considering the number of people who (mis)understand its use (not in this thread, but rather people in general, I've seen "how to use semicolon" questions a lot), I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the best use is simply avoiding it. :p

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Considering the number of people who (mis)understand its use (not in this thread, but rather people in general, I've seen "how to use semicolon" questions a lot), I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the best use is simply avoiding it. :p
Nah, in my opinion it makes sentences seem less terse and flow better.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
thanks guys
Also

Code:
/"/ [B][COLOR="Red"];[/COLOR][/B],,[B][COLOR="red"];[/COLOR][/B] \"\ -bleh!
:p

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
I rarely use semi-colons. Periods are much simpler and Bond two ideas or clauses together better.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
I rarely use semi-colons. Periods are much simpler and Bond two ideas or clauses together better.
I can't see how you can possibly say this, considering it contradicts everything that a semi-colon is. Simpler, yes, I'll grant you that; however, semi-colons were designed to link two similar ideas together when a period won't do them justice. For some, it's better to avoid semi-colons altogether, but when they're properly used they can improve the ebb and flow of a story and the way it's written.

Semi-colons rock, but I use them too much. As long as you use them sparingly, and properly, they can do nothing but help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    We can fix that.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Chat should show on the sidebar when not logged in now.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    (You'll still need to log in to post messages)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Test!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I must be in a test server.
    Nice, Twitter tweets embedding now works
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Yup.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Excellent.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    @tom_mai78101 Hello there.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Tagging works in the chat too.
    @Ghan Missed it.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Still fixing things here and there. Added widgets to the portal, will make it match the ones here on the forum index tomorrow.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The venerable World Editor Tutorials site has been converted to HTTPS at last.
  • jonas jonas:
    cool
  • jonas jonas:
    and I can even edit my messages, nice
  • seph ir oth seph ir oth:
    GENERAL CHIT CHAT, YOU ARE A BOLD ONE
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hello there
  • The Helper The Helper:
    this new chatbox is great and the forum software update is great too
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    upgrade has fixed forum registration spam problem
    Something tells me we might be able to customize the chatbox a bit, considering that there's a gap under every message.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Going to deploy a fix soon, just had to take some time for myself this weekend.
  • Varine Varine:
    Unbelievable. Time for yourself? How dare you!
  • Wizard Wizard:
    xD

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop