am i using ";" right?

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
One day Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura were all walking along together; Sasuke was on the far right of Naruto at the time

yeah i like naruto
but i need to know if im using that right

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.

Semicolons can be used to separate a compound sentence.
Though, in my opinion, you could construct that sentence so that it flows together a bit better.

Insane!

Reaction score
Yes.

Semicolons can be used to separate a compound sentence.
Though, in my opinion, you could construct that sentence so that it flows together a bit better.

how can i do that?

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
What would the "official" say be on where to use semi-colons? I generally always know what to place and where when I'm writing, like I could never tell you how to use "effect" and "affect" in their respective places, but I always know which to use when it comes to it.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
How were they walking, where were they walking, and why were they walking?

EDIT:

What would the "official" say be on where to use semi-colons? I generally always know what to place and where when I'm writing, like I could never tell you how to use "effect" and "affect" in their respective places, but I always know which to use when it comes to it.
Literature is an art. There's no official way, you're literature teachers lie.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Use a semicolon to combine two related complete sentences.

Use a semicolon to separate a series of phrases or clauses that already have commas included.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Semicolons are also used to introduce subordinating conjunctions such as although, still, while, and until when creating a compound sentence.

Yes, I'm a grammar Nazi. :D

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Semicolons are also used to introduce subordinating conjunctions such as although, still, while, and until when creating a compound sentence.

Yes, I'm a grammar Nazi. :D

Wow, you should meet my grammar teacher.. :p

1337Elite

Reaction score
I've read that you could, in simplest terms, think of semicolon as "and". Not sure if it's true though, as I very rarely use it.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
My friend ; I went to the party.

Doesn't really work ALL the time. :p
It can be used in place of an and that's acting as a conjunction between two complete sentences, I think. Not all the time. :D

1337Elite

Reaction score
It's safe to say that it has many uses. ^^

From Wikipedia: "It binds two sentences more closely than they would be if separated by a full stop/period. It often replaces a conjunction such as and or but."

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Considering the number of people who (mis)understand its use (not in this thread, but rather people in general, I've seen "how to use semicolon" questions a lot), I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the best use is simply avoiding it. :p

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Considering the number of people who (mis)understand its use (not in this thread, but rather people in general, I've seen "how to use semicolon" questions a lot), I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the best use is simply avoiding it. :p

Nah, in my opinion it makes sentences seem less terse and flow better.

Insane!

Reaction score
thanks guys
Also

Code:
/"/ [B][COLOR="Red"];[/COLOR][/B],,[B][COLOR="red"];[/COLOR][/B] \"\ -bleh!

:p

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I rarely use semi-colons. Periods are much simpler and Bond two ideas or clauses together better.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I rarely use semi-colons. Periods are much simpler and Bond two ideas or clauses together better.

I can't see how you can possibly say this, considering it contradicts everything that a semi-colon is. Simpler, yes, I'll grant you that; however, semi-colons were designed to link two similar ideas together when a period won't do them justice. For some, it's better to avoid semi-colons altogether, but when they're properly used they can improve the ebb and flow of a story and the way it's written.

Semi-colons rock, but I use them too much. As long as you use them sparingly, and properly, they can do nothing but help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.