Amazing new Editor Footage

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Azlier, Blizzard want to "make even new users be able to create their ideas with an ease" Witch is impossible, but they can make things really easy to be made (see the first part of the video. Something that would use some triggering and a model editing program uses just the object editor.)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
All I needed there were the mouse control and the better keyboard detection. The UI thing is cool, too. Everything other than those three is possible in WC3. Underground environments were not impossible in WC3.

Actually custom UI is possible in wc3 with DGUI. Removing wc3 UI is possible to a ceritan extent. You cna remove the abilities and inventory but you can't remove minimap and unit picture. It still is possible in wc3.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
What do you mean by casual mapmakers? People who don't go on any wc3 website and just make the systems on their own? Or people like on the helper who use other peoples systems and create stuff using them. Cause the system is found on wc3c.net and isn't much of a secret system. A lot of people know about it.

Reaction score
I would like too see less "wc3 can do that too". No one cares.

Looks amazing, too bad I can't get it. :cool:

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What do you mean by casual mapmakers? People who don't go on any wc3 website and just make the systems on their own? Or people like on the helper who use other peoples systems and create stuff using them. Cause the system is found on wc3c.net and isn't much of a secret system. A lot of people know about it.
Casual =/= private. Casual would be using the editor every now and again, but without being too serious or having any particular goals.

It could be someone who occasionally tweaks certain melee maps to make them more fun/different, such modifying some units/spells or adding a few little features like automated gold income.
It could be making a map with the sole purpose of entertaining a group of friends. Nothing too serious and not some hugely developed project, just something to keep a person occupied with the editor and let them have a bit of fun

I would like too see less "wc3 can do that too". No one cares.
QFT - even if WC3 is capable of doing some of these things, the point is that SC2's editor allows for making these kinds of things quickly and easily.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Azlier, Blizzard want to "make even new users be able to create their ideas with an ease" Witch is impossible, but they can make things really easy to be made (see the first part of the video. Something that would use some triggering and a model editing program uses just the object editor.)

For the part with the uberlisk, how much time does it take to re-create it in Wc3? I mean, without special attacks and so on, just the terrain and the triggers? Because the narrator talked about "a day and a half" and I think that things other than giving the uberlisk fancy things are not that time-consuming (Even I could make a map with hero walking past waves of ghouls for about a day :) ).

Meaning that maybe it's harder to actually do the uberlisk.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
They said the people who made that map are exprets at the tool so don't expect to make all that amazing stuff right away.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
They said the people who made that map are exprets at the tool so don't expect to make all that amazing stuff right away.

But compare how much time they've had to work with the tool, with how long Warcraft III has been out. Obviously a SC2 Galaxy Editor expert has nowhere near the experience of a Warcraft III Worldedit expert.

For the part with the uberlisk, how much time does it take to re-create it in Wc3? I mean, without special attacks and so on, just the terrain and the triggers? Because the narrator talked about "a day and a half" and I think that things other than giving the uberlisk fancy things are not that time-consuming (Even I could make a map with hero walking past waves of ghouls for about a day ).

I doubt the terrain took very long, and I really doubt that the uberlisk took anywhere near a full day and a half. My bet is that that entire thing could be put together in a couple hours once you're familiar with the editor.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
-But compare how much time they've had to work with the tool, with how long Warcraft III has been out. Obviously a SC2 Galaxy Editor expert has nowhere near the experience of a Warcraft III Worldedit expert.

Not really. Once we enter the sc2 editor, everything will be completely new. We will have a whole new language to learn and that tool they used to create the map, its something we've never seen before. So you can't really compare that well.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Not really. Once we enter the sc2 editor, everything will be completely new. We will have a whole new language to learn and that tool they used to create the map, its something we've never seen before. So you can't really compare that well.

I've been using World Editor for near 6 years now. Blizzard has been working on Starcraft 2 for what? Maybe 3 years? That doesn't include how long these 'experts' have been using the editor. Galaxy editor hasn't been around since the beginning of development.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Galaxy Editor will be like a whole new editor. And even though you've been on the editor for so long, they made a game using all the languages in the editor and stuff. They've made and masterd stuff wc3 editor has never even had. How can you be so sure that sc2 will be just like wc3? And sc2 was secretly in production for like 6 years so its been around for a long time.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Galaxy Editor will be like a whole new editor. And even though you've been on the editor for so long, they made a game using all the languages in the editor and stuff. They've made and masterd stuff wc3 editor has never even had. How can you be so sure that sc2 will be just like wc3? And sc2 was secretly in production for like 6 years so its been around for a long time.

(I think) Darth is saying that Blizzard's in-house 'experts' with the editor have not had a significant amount of time to spend with the editor (particularly when compared to some people who have been using the world editor for years).

Presumably, it would be purely a spare time thing for these employees (unless Blizzard are paying them to learn how to use the editor :p) and with the timeframe the Blizz employees had to learn to use the editor (considering the editor would not have existed from day 1, as Darth said), it would suggest that it's not overly complicated or difficult to learn

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Well tehy use the editor to create all the campaigns so they did have to use the editor.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Well tehy use the editor to create all the campaigns so they did have to use the editor.
Blizzard quite possibly hasn't made much of the campaign yet. It's probably mostly must be done in the final stage of development, since you need a functional game to fully put it together.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What uberfoop said, and I don't think the SC2 campaigns will involve a top-down shooter map, which would be a completely different experience to create a scripted melee map (since you wouldn't have the top-down camera, ship control, projectile handling, wave spawning/movement/projectiles, and a host of other things).

The differences between a campaign map and a custom map (particularly the ones shown there) would be vast, if WC3 campaign maps are a good representation of what SC2 maps will be like (i.e. usual melee-style gameplay, with a few strings attached like limited units, objectives and scripted events like a once-accessible path becoming blocked by debris or something)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Ha ha wow, I don't know if I wan't to work on a shooter map this time around for SC2 now that it is supported, but I can't wait to see one made so I can have fun playing it. Maybe I will help out in a project but definitely not doing it on my own like I did before. ^_^

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, mouse support is very doable in WC3. I made a shooter like that in WC3. Unfortunately I uninstalled WC3 and now it's gone, unless it's on my mail. I'll check if it's there.

I was able to detect both left and right clicks, and not with invis units. With a nice little native called "ForceUIKey".

Edit: you're lucky guys, it was on my mail. Not sure what version this is though.

It's only possible in a controlled environment like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.