US News American teens lie, steal, cheat at 'alarming' rates - Study

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
American teenagers lie, steal and cheat more at "alarming rates," a study of nearly 30,000 high school students concluded Monday.

The attitudes and conduct of some 29,760 high school students across the United States "doesn't bode well for the future when these youngsters become the next generation's politicians and parents, cops and corporate executives, and journalists and generals," the non-profit Josephson Institute said.

In its 2008 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth, the Los Angeles-based organization said the teenagers' responses to questions about lying, stealing and cheating "reveals entrenched habits of dishonesty for the workforce of the future."

Boys were found to lie and steal more than girls.

Last edited:
Just 30 thousand?....

"Boys were found to lie and steal more than girls."
That means girls still cheat more. GG, girls. :p

Yeah, main thing is plagiarism according to my English teacher.
You have to be pretty damn dumb to copy and paste directly....
If you're copying and pasting have the decency to fix it up a bit!

People who plagiarise just make me lol inside.

Most of the time , entering a sentence of it into google will get you the result right away.

And does that survey take into consideration that every generation probably lies, steals, and cheats when they are teenagers? Only difference is is that this generation is honest by lying, stealing, and cheating when asked.

An overwhelming majority, 83 percent, of public school and private religious school students admitted to lying to their parents about something significant, compared to 78 percent for those attending independent non-religious schools.
I agree with Varine on that one, heh.
-->I don't doubt the survey, however. Just last year my school had a massive cheating scandal where about 30 sophmores got copies of the midterm. Respected school, too. The principal was really pissed.

It's just easier to cheat and such surveys are taken and recorded.

It's just easier to cheat and such surveys are taken and recorded.

I always lied on surveys because I thought it was funny. But really, they'll probably grow out of it by the time our generation begins to take over the nation. There will probably be the weird ones who are like 50 and still do drugs, just like now, but I imagine the majority of these students will mature into respectable people as they age. Being teenagers they probably just feel invulnerable and just want to be done so they'll take the easiest way through they can.

These surveys are silly.

I've been "randomly" selected roughly five times during my time in high school to take these things.

The results are bogus.

I, a middle-class average whitey, am, as far these surveys and their institutions know, a wealthy African-American who drinks heavily during school and has a problematic addiction to every drug in the book.

How?

Anonymity.

These surveys are so concerned with allowing the participant to remain anonymous - in order to allow students the freedom to record illegal activities with out fear of repercussion - that, though the fear of repercussive action has been eliminated, the door has swung wide open for "students", who feel negatively towards the survey for whatever reason, to horribly skew the results.

While those who purposely skew the results of a survey do, indeed, promote the high levels of "dishonesty" recorded via that same survey amongst students/teenagers, the entire situation becomes an apparent - and LARGELY RIDICULOUS - endeavor in chasing the dog's own tail.

Overall, the entire principle of an anonymously proposed survey on honesty, or anything relating to illegal or negatively moral activities, is about as reliable as 4chan.

I, a middle-class average whitey, am, as far these surveys and their institutions know, a wealthy African-American who drinks heavily during school and has a problematic addiction to every drug in the book.

I am a penguin who is addicted to crack and carries a knife for protection.

As an earlier poster noted Anonymity is the major issue with these things. I remember in my senior year in high school for laughs me and three friends filled out bogus answers. These are all scan-tran deals (Mark the circle, feed thru a machine) so I'm pretty sure graders would not notice the ridiculously bogus answers. Meh, who knows, however, show me a teenager who hasn't lied to his/her parents about something important, and I'll show you a liar.

For some reason I feel that I knew this already. Pretty much every teenager really lies to their parents at some point. I've done this too. More than once. It doesn't matter though... Usually they try to be too much involved with the life of their teenager which, naturally, is annoying to most. What comes to surveys... They are mostly fake, I would say. This opinion is because they ask you things the way they want you to answer... Some people answer the same question differently, depending on what words are used. So pretty much useless...

Surveys are to be done honestly for me, because my school allows the Seniors to conduct researches and surveys to the students in the school. Because their requirement for their graduation is their research papers. So if I go Senior I must have an accurate results to. Do unto others saying thingy [URL="http://fhelzone.blogspot.com" ]:D[/URL]

I support the moral bankruptcy of our youth. Lying, cheating, and stealing are tools of the innovative and cunning.

What used to bug me back in high school.

Was other students just Would draw on the wall or kick a trash over, if they relized they woundnt get caught. i was like ?! why you doing that.
hes like not like anyone gonna catch me"

What used to bug me back in high school.

Was other students just Would draw on the wall or kick a trash over, if they relized they woundnt get caught. i was like ?! why you doing that.
hes like not like anyone gonna catch me"

Agreed. I think it's because discipline is too connected with punishment in the modern upbringing of children. It should be about right and wrong, not about fear of punishment.

Agreed. I think it's because discipline is too connected with punishment in the modern upbringing of children. It should be about right and wrong, not about fear of punishment.

lol oh hell no, punishment is LACKING in modern discipline and that's the reason kids are running rampart doing these stupid things. I copped a shitload of beatings and other disciplinary measures as a kid, most of the time unasked for, and I can honestly say that I act more appropriately then 100% (yeah damn right, every one of them) of the kids I went to school with. If my parents got so much as a call from a teacher for handing in an assignment late my parents would disown me, punish me and tell the teacher to punish me in what ever way they saw fit. It wasn't hard to learn the lesson of right and wrong through that method.

There is only one rule you need to live by to be a decent person - Do to others as you would have done to yourself. If you wouldn't like to have someone steal from you, don't steal. You don't want to get beat up on, then don't start fights. At the end of the day if everyone is still lying, cheating and stealing around you then you can just say fuck em, I did the right thing... It all catches up with everyone at some point anyhow

There is only one rule you need to live by to be a decent person - Do to others as you would have done to yourself

It's a very effective yet not perfect rule sadly enough.

I don't get annoyed when people poke me repetedely (I butchered that word horribily <_<) on the shoulder. Nor do I even care in the slightest. According to the rule, it would still be alright for me to do it to another, less tolerant person.

Though, then again, it still catches a majority of bad ideas (I don't know a person that would want to be killed o_o) and, as you said, it catches up eventually.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.