An Addict's Confession

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
When you look at me in the real world today you'll see an almost normal boy.
Goes to school. Has a decent amount of friends and somewhat popular.
Yet i am not what i seem on the surface. For the real world only concerns me 20%. Where does the other 80% end up you ask? I can give you one and only one answer....The Computer. This is my first thought when i am awoken by my sudden urge to play 5 am in the morning and my last thought before i sleep.
I am addicted to anything related to Computers in anyway. But my main addiction are video games......Yes it seems i always must play some sort of video game at least once a day.....whether PSP,PC,GBA SP im not discriminative.
as long as it's a good game i'll play it. You'll always find me at my computer during weekends,holidays any day that there's no school or any event that requires me away from the computer. Only a few people at my school understand what im talking about these days...i have to some times remind myself that im not dealing with people like me. I am always picked first during group assignments that require use of the computer. Im the only one interested in learning flash in my whole class.....I sometimes think im slowly going insane....i have recently punched someone for saying that Warcraft sucks and WoW is better and that i should buy it if im a true "gamer" he said
I had no second thoughts when i punched him square in the eye....Now do you call that normal?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Is this story true? (About you) If it is, then you shouldn't have punched the one guy for his opinion. Why? Opinions don't matter, from friends, family, professionals, anyone. Just listen to the positive ones, sometimes.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
When you look at me in the real world today you'll see an almost normal boy.
Goes to school. Has a decent amount of friends and somewhat popular.
Yet i am not what i seem on the surface. For the real world only concerns me 20%. Where does the other 80% end up you ask? I can give you one and only one answer....The Computer. This is my first thought when i am awoken by my sudden urge to play 5 am in the morning and my last thought before i sleep.
I am addicted to anything related to Computers in anyway. But my main addiction are video games......Yes it seems i always must play some sort of video game at least once a day.....whether PSP,PC,GBA SP im not discriminative.
as long as it's a good game i'll play it. You'll always find me at my computer during weekends,holidays any day that there's no school or any event that requires me away from the computer. Only a few people at my school understand what im talking about these days...i have to some times remind myself that im not dealing with people like me. I am always picked first during group assignments that require use of the computer. Im the only one interested in learning flash in my whole class.....I sometimes think im slowly going insane....i have recently punched someone for saying that Warcraft sucks and WoW is better and that i should buy it if im a true "gamer" he said
I had no second thoughts when i punched him square in the eye....Now do you call that normal?

LOL, +rep

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
interesting. And yes, a good job. People who play WOW are so annoying. I met a third grader once who said that was one of his favorite hobbies...

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Well wow has one and only good thing

it's one of the reasons that Blizzard isn't a part of EA :D

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
interesting. And yes, a good job. People who play WOW are so annoying. I met a third grader once who said that was one of his favorite hobbies...

What's so wrong having WoW as a hobby? I tell you, just because 1 WoW player is annoying, doesn't make every WoW player annoying.

Reaction score
> People who play WOW are so annoying
> WoW is a lifestyle, not a game.
No more comments like that, please. *with last of his powers, he was trying to prevent closing.. he failed...*

@Sil3nt & BANANAMAN
You like violence? Do you?

I wouldn't say that Warcraft is better or worse than WoW. There is many people who are addicted to both of them. I am not one of them though, I am only addicted to World Editor.

But this sure is not so happy and fun thread.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Yes i do enjoy violence...very much....but of course not tooo much for that would land me in jail :rolleyes:

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Addiction is a powerful... emotion? No, it's more of a state of mind, really, but even that doesn't aptly describe the term. I've experienced powerful addictions to several things, including WoW, food, drugs (or weed, at least, pyschadelics aren't addictive), and there's really no singular solution to any addiction that works for everyone. But if you hold yourself in some sort of contempt because you use computers so often, then maybe you should attempt to find methods to stay away from the computer.

If you don't want to use it in the mornings as soon as you wake up, turn it off each night and sleep in a little later. That way, you'll be in too much of a rush for school to even turn the computer on. After school, head to a friends' house. I don't know what you'd do there, or if you'd play video games or not, but if you're looking for something then you can always light up a spliff right quick and chill around. And Hell, playing video games with people in the same room isn't bad at all! In fact, it's often far more social than just watching T.V. and many other things some people do together these days.

In my personal experience, Addiction can be overcome with a strong sense of self-discipline and willpower. When I had to quit smoking, I cracked down on myself like a drill seargent would a new recruit, and I smoked ONCE in 6 months. Not bad, eh?

And as for punching the kid in the eye for saying WoW was better than Warcraft... well, damn straight. You shoulda got him in the other one, too, for good measure. Just chill, bro, and shit'll be straight, I'm sure. Much love, homie.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
i have an addiction like you but not as bad, I only have the craving till 2:00 Am

Off topic
LOL, +rep

i honestly don't understand why you would give rep to some-member for having an addiction

BlightWarden

Reaction score
PC gamer rehab

I too am somewhat addicted to games. i spend half my holidays on guildwars during events. (mostly the finale's) i am addicted to map making but i'm not good at it. i am addicted to violence in certain games like tekken 5, but i hate real world violence. too many years of fighting and learning to defend myself.

punching someone over their opinion of a game is pretty lame. what happens when you lose power? power outage? do you freak out? for your own personal well being you may wanna distance yourself from gaming for small periods of time. also, video games are not nearly as important as friends, so don't treat your buddies badly over pixels.:nuts:

but as i said, i played diablo 2 lod for 6 yrs, and when i couldnt play i was anxious, couldnt concentrate on other things and found no joy in most of my other hobbies. i took a break for over a year and now i can barely play it without getting bored. moderation in all things. over excess is bad for your health.

heres a serious exsample. while playing diablo2 lod every day for 3 months about 4 years ago i was sitting in a hard chair. i would play for anywhere from 15-72 hours straight. i developed bad circulation in my legs and now if i sit in a chair for more than 1 hour my legs and feet swell with liquid. its been 4 years, almost 5 and my legs are only just begining to heal.

now when i game i sit crosslegged on my bed, but after 3 years of that i am developing hip problems. so in the end, taking breaks from gaming and getting some excercise is a good tactic. Oh and don't forget to eat something.:nuts:

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Alright...thanx will try your suggestions guys..
A new year a new beginning eh?

I have just evaluated my self recently...And i find i only compare to Ethan of Ctrl-Alt-del :eek:

but if you're looking for something then you can always light up a spliff right quick and chill around.

I would rather not..go down that path again.....

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Heh, fair enough. I think the best idea would be to find something fun and constructive you could be doing. Oh, wait a second, here's an idea; what about writing? =P

Still, though, writing could actually help you deal with your addiction if you enjoy it, so I'd suggest giving it a shot and seeing if that helps at all. Peace.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I don't see what is wrong with an addiction to electronics, video games, whatever. They may alter your mindset but who is to say that isn't for the better? You should, of course, try to break the habit if you don't like what it is turning you into but I find an addiction can bring equal enjoyment out of life or maybe even more than someone who doesn't have one.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
I don't see what is wrong with an addiction to electronics, video games, whatever. They may alter your mindset but who is to say that isn't for the better? You should, of course, try to break the habit if you don't like what it is turning you into but I find an addiction can bring equal enjoyment out of life or maybe even more than someone who doesn't have one.

I don't know how to say this better than: you're wrong.

Addiction does not bring joy in any form; you may enjoy playing on the computer, but on one enjoys being addicted to the computer. Same goes for any sort of addiction. Some people consider addiction "a disease." I'm not sure if I would go as far as to say that, but it's certainly an unhealthy mindset to have in any situation. There are very few situations I can think of where addiction could possibly be helpful, such as exercising, which is only helpful because it's 100% constructive and really can't do you any harm.

But by general rule of thumb, you can find out about something by checking it's definition: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Oooh, that's doesn't sound like too much fun, does it? I believe what you were referring to as "addiction" is actually just a healthy liking of video games and electronics. Just because you do something a lot doesn't mean that you're addicted to it, it just means that you enjoy it. Having to do something a lot, if it seems necessary but isn't truly a necessity, is what addiction is. It's a twisted thing.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I think the only true addiction is drugs. I think it is almost impossible to truly(as by the definition that Kev has posted) be addicted to video games, computer games, computers, stuff like that. I cannot think of anything that also can have a true addiction besides drugs, but I'm not sure there are any.

so both of you are right.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There are very few situations I can think of where addiction could possibly be helpful, such as exercising, which is only helpful because it's 100% constructive and really can't do you any harm.

I have to disagree. Just like other types of addictions, an exercise addiction can ruin lives - one can feel controlled by exercise and will not miss a schedule appointment for exercise.

It is not just mental. Withdrawal from exercise, when one is addicted to it, can result in depression just like other addictions.

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Erg-Foo/Exercise-Addiction.html
http://www.active.com/story.cfm?STORY_ID=10296&CHECKSSO=1&RESET=0

Fatmankev

Reaction score
I have to disagree. Just like other types of addictions, an exercise addiction can ruin lives - one can feel controlled by exercise and will not miss a schedule appointment for exercise.

It is not just mental. Withdrawal from exercise, when one is addicted to it, can result in depression just like other addictions.

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Erg-Foo/Exercise-Addiction.html
http://www.active.com/story.cfm?STORY_ID=10296&CHECKSSO=1&RESET=0

That's fair, I won't try to argue that at all; I was more just trying to get the point across that addiction can be a problem with things other than drugs, and that bananaman very well could be addicted to video games. It's just that, as I considered everything, exercise seemed like the least harmful thing possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.