An electric guitar for a beginner?

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
I've always loved the sound of an electric guitar, and now I've decided to get one and start learning it.
I want someones expertise on what electric guitar should i get for a beginner ( beginner as in never even held a guitar in my hands ) for around ~300-350$ .. I like guitars which have a more metal oriented sound..

Also one of my concerns is, I've read that many people say learning the electric guitar as a first is way too complicated and i should start with an acoustic one... The thing is I've always dreamed about an electric one, but the fact that people say it's too complicated for beginners is starting to scare me off.

The guitar that I've been so far considering is the Epiphone Gothic SG ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPISGGOTH )

and the ESP LTD F-10 ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPF10PACK , it's a pack, i know amps in packs are crap but i just want that guitar ) .. What scares me off from this one is that it's said that it's a "pure rock" guitar.

Also to anyone who says " go to a local store and try 'em out " , weird as it is, there are no local stores here in my city that sell guitars ( or at least decent ones ) , i can either order them by web or go to the capital which is far and I'd rather just order it.

P.S I hope there are people who know about this here.. Didn't want the thread to lay dead :) Also i hope this is the correct sub forum. If not, Moderators, please move this to the correct one.

Any opinion is welcome.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Also one of my concerns is, I've read that many people say learning the electric guitar as a first is way too complicated and i should start with an acoustic one... The thing is I've always dreamed about an electric one, but the fact that people say it's too complicated for beginners is starting to scare me off.

I don't play guitar myself, but this is what I've heard. I agree with them. It lets you get a cheap guitar to practice on, and you can learn if you like playing the instrument before you go out and spend $300. That way, you can decide you don't like playing, or want to try out another instrument instead.

I had a keyboard as a kid, and decided I liked playing. I've been playing since. However, I got a beginner drum set 3 years ago, and I ended up selling the drums a couple months ago because I just didn't enjoy playing.

Zakyath

Reaction score
if you are SURE you're really going to get through with this and REALLY learn to play guitar (not just a few chords), there's nothing that should keep you from buying an electric guitar. Go to music stores and ask the personal. They know the best.

shinami

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice, I think I'll go with an acoustic one for now..

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice, I think I'll go with an acoustic one for now..

Personally, i first started on a electric and self taught myself for a year in picking before chords then started lessons and i found it great fun and just yea.. great fun =D. I personally find acoustics MUUCH harder to play, but that is cause im only still small and I found it difficult to get my hand over the neck and etc. Its a myth that acoustics are easier IMO. (they also hurt your fingers on the fret board more as a beginner though that problem solves itself very quickly)

PS: only get a guitar if your determined to go through with it, if you dont practise constantly youll never get better. It's not a piece of cake like many people think. Also at some points it will seem like your never getting any better but you are.

-- Get a teacher asap, a good one, they really do help specially with composing (=

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want an electric guitar, I recommend a Dean. That's what I have. Great metal tone to it.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
remember to get an amp, distortion pedal, and speakers as well...

really it's the amound of equipment that makes a electric guitar hard to pick... the guitar alone does not create the sound.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
remember to get an amp, distortion pedal, and speakers as well...

really it's the amound of equipment that makes a electric guitar hard to pick... the guitar alone does not create the sound.
Are you insane? Distortion pedal to start learning? All you need is the guitar (some picks) an amp (that usually comes with the guitar).

You should get a fender stratocaster, mine cost me ~240$. If you want effects on your guitar, you should download a trial of Guitar Rig 3. Once you have the concept down of playing comfortably, then you can start buying addons.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019421F8 - Fender Strat 199$

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3 - Guitar Rig 3

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Are you insane? Distortion pedal to start learning? All you need is the guitar (some picks) an amp (that usually comes with the guitar).

You should get a fender stratocaster, mine cost me ~240$. If you want effects on your guitar, you should download a trial of Guitar Rig 3. Once you have the concept down of playing comfortably, then you can start buying addons.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019421F8 - Fender Strat 199$

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3 - Guitar Rig 3

What he said.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

shinami

Reaction score
I have another dilemma.... What's the difference between and acoustic guitar and an electro acoustic one?

EDIT: Never mind, i found out, if some moderator see's this post, delete it please.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
If you're learning the guitar, you are best off buying a cheap acoustic for learning on, and trying it out, so you know if you even want to keep going.

Jumping into an electric one without knowing how to play the instrument is going to be costly because you will need an amp + some other rigama-jew stuff.

Best way to go is borrow a friends (inexpensive), find out if you're really that into it, then buy a decent electric bass. (5 string/coil)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.