[Android] My first self-programmed game, under a working title, "Marble Run".

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I played the 1st level - the indicator works well, and I was able to "jump" with the marble for the first time - if you move over the "end" with your ball following the non-controllable ball, you end up with a "game over" underneath the "next level" (minor issue, I could still go on to the next level)

level 2, and I managed to escape the tubes with my marble without meaning to (and I wasn't jumping)

level 9 - easy, and it gives "unable to load level 10" at the end, thus sending me back to level 1 (I think the main menu or level selector would be better)

edit: I went back, the lag seems to be from it not clearing previous levels, if I force-close the game and then go back to it, it gets better (temporarily)

level 4 was fine

level 5 took me a few tries to jump across, but I did it - and then found no "target ball", so when I sent my marble to the "end", I got a "Unfortunately, Marble run has stopped." crash that took me back to the main screen

level 6 - I give up, I can't beat this one

level 7 - I missed 1 ball on the 2nd side, and it got "stuck" inside the black space

level 8 - I like the "marble accelerators", but they are a bit rough on the "player-controlled" marble, I would perhaps add a lag on the screen's movement and make the control marble move as the others do when it hits them - also, this map is huge, and I get "lost", I have no idea how fast I am moving, and sometimes the other marbles move WAYYY too fast for me to catch them (OK, that may be my fault, as I had some fun shooting the other marbles)

level 3: this level is laggy every now and then (I don't know if it's because there are 2 marbles or what) I managed to get the pink marble "stuck" between like two pipes, kind of like this, in between the two red pieces

#
||
||
#

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your level feedbacks. Even our professor mentioned some levels are downright torture to play in, and he suggested that I redo the levels entirely. All of the levels are to be revised by another team member, so as not to indirectly repeat history of making contrasting difficulties. It's marked as a known issue.

I was afraid the indicator in Level 1 is too small for people to see, but it turns out pleasantly fine. I was also planning on separating the tutorial indicator into 3 different levels, each teaches a player how to do stuff individually without cramming everything into 1 level.

Oh yeah! I didn't ask you for your phone model and manufacturer. May I ask of you for those information? Thanks in advance.

The "tile" that looks like #, is called a connector, it's something I created to try and connect 2 horizontal and 2 vertical pipes together, like a cross. Thanks for reporting a bug about it!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I was afraid the indicator in Level 1 is too small for people to see, but it turns out pleasantly fine.
Oh yeah! I didn't ask you for your phone model and manufacturer. May I ask of you for those information? Thanks in advance.

HTC G2 (or Vision)

and while the indicators work, they weren't quite what I was thinking - I was thinking like if the left side of my screen is:

_
|
|<
|
|
_

the < is where the indicator would be - on the border of the screen, not quite in it's own section

I think you need to develop the game a bit more before worrying about the level difficulty.. the levels should be easy to re-arranged from easiest to hardest once they are made

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Been looking for a solution for quite a while on how to test an app with different CPU frequencies to no avail. I also checked up on the GPU for both your phone and mine.

HTC Evo 3D.
Here's a brief introduction about the GPUs in both of our phones.

I could say the hardware I'm currently using to test my app is more gaming oriented. I cannot reproduce some of your issues, such as lagging. I'll continue my search to try and to fix the rest of the issues.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I could say the hardware I'm currently using to test my app is more gaming oriented.

your phone is about a year newer than mine (I should upgrade.. ), not only does it have about 4x the graphics power, the CPU is also .4 ghz faster and has an extra core

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Whens your goal to have this released on android? I don't mean have all the features you want ect. but your first release?

When you get to that point, if you have time maybe put a few things you learned form the submit process and if they reject it why. I am planing to start pushing my game to android in dec if I can finish adding the major features i want for it.

Have you found that people running different versions of androids (OS version) to be in issue for your project?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Whens your goal to have this released on android? I don't mean have all the features you want ect. but your first release?

When you get to that point, if you have time maybe put a few things you learned form the submit process and if they reject it why. I am planing to start pushing my game to android in dec if I can finish adding the major features i want for it.

Have you found that people running different versions of androids (OS version) to be in issue for your project?

My first release is when we got the very basic structure of the game finished. Right now, we're still managing on creativity and production, and I'm the latter.

Once we're done, we'll seek to submitting our work to the Market. Anything right or wrong comes afterwards will be reported to here. Or, I could create a separate thread, and probably ask a mod to sticky that for me.

So far, I have not encounter other problems regarding to different devices and different OS versions of Android, due to the fact that:
  1. People around me don't have a lot of Android devices. They would usually rely on older cellphones, and not smartphones.
  2. Due to our field in Computer Science, most of the people I know aren't very into game development, especially given that the resources here aren't very explict.
  3. I'm an exception to everyone: They aren't used to reading foreign resources that talks about game development.
  4. Everyone likes to see 3D content, but I have not even scratch the surface of those topics. It would be very much easier for me if I were in a team that's entirely interested in both programming and game production, because then I would be even more motivated and compelled to finish the project. Sadly, that's not the case here.
  5. We are limiting ourselves because of said team. I am working alone on this project, with very few contributions from our (bad) level designer. This project is actually wearing out my determination rapidly. Our team just wanted this to be over with, so they could move on and work in something that they are interested in.
Tonight, I will release an update, along with our project decisions, and my thoughts about this project. More on those subjects coming soon...

rover2341

Reaction score
Everyone likes to see 3D content, but I have not even scratch the surface of those topics. It would be very much easier for me if I were in a team that's entirely interested in both programming and game production, because then I would be even more motivated and compelled to finish the project. Sadly, that's not the case here.

I think your game looks pretty sick sorta a old school look. At least to me I think your games visuals work just fine. (form the screen shots).

Ok, you may or may not find in issue on the different os versions.

Once we're done, we'll seek to submitting our work to the Market. Anything right or wrong comes afterwards will be reported to here. Or, I could create a separate thread, and probably ask a mod to sticky that for me.

That would be sick. Maybe ill do one for the windows market place, as well. But I dobet anyone will care for that here. (I mostly finding Microsoft haters around... lol jk). Hearing from your experiences of getting it though market place will very helpful.

For example the biggest thing that stops a windows phone app from getting though the market place is making it work for dark and light theme. (you can force it one way).

Also I learned later, that It would have been helpful to keep a ongoing "Beta Version" of my game, one that only people i allow to go to can see. Hidden from the market place. So I can update that with anything, and the few friends i have that would try it for me can test it on the spot with out having to install anything speail, just have to follow a link, to install it on there phone, and they will see the updates as i make them. (Andriod may have something like this). When I feel its good enough I just resubmit it in a non beta form, so the market place can see it as a new app. (If this does exist on andriod you may get more feedback from people as its easyer for them to test your app)

Thanks for the info cant wait to see it get submitted.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated the game to Alpha 0.6.
Changelog:
+ Changed background color to brown, so as not to mistaken Void as black.
+ Fixed issue with displaying "Game Over" text after winning a stage.
+ Renamed a button key from "Main Menu" to "Level Selection" for Pause Menu.
+ 90% sure fixed the Cue Ball -> CurvePipe corner collisions.
+ Changed ImageInfo indicator images to a dedicated folder, in case of adding future content.
+ Settled for Cue ball to not bounce away like Marbles when hitting Bumpers, even if jumping down onto them.
+ Fixed Culling problem.
+ Changed version number to Alpha 0.6.
+ Made a few changes to Connector, that allows Cue ball to move around, but not for Marbles.
+ Added Border/Void marker to editor, thus allowing the Border tile to also be Void to fit its surroundings.
+ Modified Stages 1 ~ 6 accordingly to the level designer's wishes.
+ Modified Stages 7 ~ 9 accordingly to the level designer's wishes.
+ Fixed having to play the first stage after finishing the last stage.
+ Added new Tutorial ImageInfo and improved the old one.
+ Added Coins.
+ Added Stages 10 and 11.
+ Fixed the dialog not displaying the actual dialog when completing the final stage.
+ Tweaked all the stages.
+ Completely fixed the Dialog whether you lose or win.
+ Added Stages 12, 13, 14, 15.
+ Added Coin Sounds.
+ Added Jumping Sounds.
+ Fixed Tutorial not correctly showing when it is supposed to.
+ Added Score to HUD.
+ Increased the level layout blocks from 12 to 30.
+ Increased max levels limit in level selection screen.

Project Decision:
I'm no longer the level designer of this game. The stages I created were regarded as "wacky". Our new level designer thinked what the game really needs, is a "challenging" way of reaching the goal, and felt that the Marbles I have added in counts as "unnecessary". The rules have now changed since then, and to be honest, gameplay is more simpler to grasp. The rule are:
  • Tilt your phone around to control your Marble.
  • Try to reach the Hole to win.
And that's it. He recommends that I add something to encourage players to wander more about in the stages, so I added some Coins and some sound effects. The sound effects are merely a test to see if I can stick to running 2 threads and without having to create a 3rd temporary one and increase the amount of garbage collecting. The rest, you can tell just by reading the changelogs.

Right now, we decided to give it a go. Any feedbacks are appreaciated.

Thoughts:
I'm quite tired working on this project for so long... I can now finally understand why Notch, of Minecraft, wants to move on. Even though, this game is my first game I have built, I have truly underestimated the determination it requires to put out a decent-looking game. Likewise, I have learned quite a lot about the Android OS, and a few gimmicks here and there in game logics, so I think it evens out.

I'm looking forward to moving on to a brand new project, and hopefully I won't get uninspired by anyone else. I have regretted since the day I started recruiting my team members together to work on our school project. Those team members, to be frank, they are NOT programmers at all. One of them is a programmer, but he has a hard-headed attitude towards specific programming langauges, I don't know why. He also said time and time again that he will never touch Java in his entire lifetime, even if the reward is great.

The other person is completely into business, and he has no interests in Computer Science at all. All he ever only wants a Bachelor's degree. I cannot deny his skill in cramming and creativity, as he usually gets fair grades and credits, and he gets his creativity from work.

I could go on and on for hours, talking about them. But really, I should just forget whatever they are doing, and just be myself. But, I would easily be caught in a trap, and would kept asking to myself, "What do I do now?", "What else can I do?". I hate my team, that's all.

rover2341

Reaction score
Pretty intense thoughts.

I guess there's pros and cons in working with a crew.
I have helped on a project and gotten help on a project but never really worked with someone on a project.

Only thoughts I have is even if you can only get 2 levels. Get it out asap.
I think your games is attempting to get a huge amount done with very little feedback.

If you end up with bad reviews, for a few weeks fix it, and if you have to re lunch the game, just a slightly different name. You will lose anyone who dled it before but that way you can push your development faster.

That was my plan with my app, but I ended up not needing to relaunch it even though it only had manual features. It just put a fire under me to keep pushing little updates and here and there.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think you have been working too much without much of an idea for what the final version should be like.. adding extra levels/designing them should be among the last things to do, but deciding if there are any additional marbles besides the controllable one should of been among the first things outlined

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess that's a better way of saying it. I may have a fault in not helping out on planning, as I wasn't interested in the overall game itself. Or maybe I used a "I am working alone" mindset and not "I am having fun without anyone else helping me", but I still hate my team members.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated to Alpha 0.6b.
Changelog:
+ Added Settings.
+ Made all sounds and music dependent on the user preferences.
+ Added slightly sleeky-looking Back button to Preferences.
+ Fixed Sound not playing correctly after completing a Stage and generating the next Stage.
? May have fixed the level not resetting correctly. Not sure.
+ Changed adding score entries around a bit.
+ Changed the scoring around, so that it records the best scores per stage.
+ Added Timer-based Bonus Score points.
+ Fixed not able to save score per stage.
+ Added Hole animation.
+ Changed the app's icon.
+ Added MusicHandler layout (pause, resume, finish) to all activities.
+ Added reset() in Cue and Ball classes.
+ Fixed MusicHandler, so that the music will stop/start only when triggered from Settings.
+ Fixed Cue ball not resetting the positions correctly.
+ Fixed Timer not stopping when it's supposed to.
+ Added a new indicator for Stage 2.
+ Moved the HUD to a corner for maximum view range.
+ Changed the HUD to become sideways. All features are intact.
+ Fixed Timer not disabled when it should be.
+ Changed text colors around.
+ Modified text for Winning Dialog and HUD.
+ Modified how the save data is handled.
+ Modified the Score screen layout.
+ Added another method of displaying GridView, programming-wise. No noticable changes upon viewing.
+ Fixed not returning to Level Selection screen after completely finishing the game.
+ Modified the code for loading the icons in the Level selection screen.
+ Re-added name input, and modified how it should be used.
+ Fixed keyboard not hiding/closing immediately after ENTER key input.
+ Changed version number to appropriate version.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I tried playing it - the music works, went through level 1 and 2 easily, but then it crashed (force close) - got through level 6, no problems (although spawning at an angle and dying instantly a few times.. that is getting slightly annoying, perhaps forcing an "even" start, where the phone must be balanced before starting the timer/moving/etc. would be helpful

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried playing it - the music works, went through level 1 and 2 easily, but then it crashed (force close) - got through level 6, no problems (although spawning at an angle and dying instantly a few times.. that is getting slightly annoying, perhaps forcing an "even" start, where the phone must be balanced before starting the timer/moving/etc. would be helpful

Thanks. I think I know why it crashes on level 1 to 2. Accelerometer calibration is something my professor is telling me about, but I wanted to put it near the "priority list". Calibrating the accelerometer seems like something I need to dig around in StackOverflow for quite a bit before understanding how to execute it.

I'll try to get an update up if I can manage my homework now. I have a test tomorrow, hopefully I pass. Heard there's a 28% chance of passing with an A.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it crashed as soon as I finished level 2 - I don't remember if I hit "continue" or "start", but around there (I did see the button pop up.. not sure if i pressed it b4 it crashed) - I wasn't quite thinking of a full-on calibration, just to pause the game at the start until the phone is leveled

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
it crashed as soon as I finished level 2 - I don't remember if I hit "continue" or "start", but around there (I did see the button pop up.. not sure if i pressed it b4 it crashed) - I wasn't quite thinking of a full-on calibration, just to pause the game at the start until the phone is leveled

That would be a lot easier than I intended it to be. I'll try fixing it. Thanks for the feedback.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
and... I finshed the game - I don't exactly like the "jumping" part though.. also the red coin in # 12 is evil - I couldn't get it..

P.S. it seems like I can't "double jump", despite the "woosh" sound being played twice

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
and... I finshed the game - I don't exactly like the "jumping" part though.. also the red coin in # 12 is evil - I couldn't get it..

Our level designer likes to be evil about it.

P.S. it seems like I can't "double jump", despite the "woosh" sound being played twice

It's a multithreading issue I can't seem to get it resolved, no matter how perfect the logic is.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated. Again, feedback is appreciated.

Changelog:
+ Fixed Accumulation Score not adding points after obtaining Coins.
+ Fixed Scoring.
+ Changed the behavior of the AlertDialog when you lose. You can now save with/without retrying and leaving.
+ Fixed all "Accumulated" typos.
+ Added Settings button to Pause Menu in-game.
+ Cleaned code.
+ Changed the text color on the HUD to make it stand out a bit better.
+ Fixed Tutorial pop-up closing too fast if a player accidentally touched the screen.
+ Error in the Icon art. Shadow and Light aren't aligned correctly.
+ Changed to using ModPlayer library.
+ Fixed ModPlayer being loaded twice.
- Unable to understand how the main activity is being launched twice upon startup.
+ Replaced "marblerun" raw module file with a better one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.