[Android] Small Application Project: 5-way Bluetooth Relay app.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This small project is what I was working on for quite some time, learning as I go. All of this is self-taught, with a bunch of help from Stack Overflow questions and from Android Developers Google Group.

It's a giant stepping stone for one of many upcoming projects. I now have a firm grasp of Bluetooth communications with more than 2 devices. This app does Bluetooth communications up to 5 devices. Currently, I do not have the expenses (nor equipments) to test my app for use with 5 devices, but theoretically, it can go up to 7. 7 is the maximum number of a Bluetooth piconet, if I recall. I can prove that 3 devices can communicate easily with each other, thus forming a closed triangle.

Anyone who wants to learn more about Bluetooth programming can go ahead and download my project, which is attached to this thread below. You may also go ahead and change a few things, fix a few issues, etc. If you want to try the app out, download the APK file attached and install it onto at least 2 Android devices.

Requires:
  1. Eclipse IDE (Recommended: Eclipse Classic).
  2. Android SDK.
  3. At least 2 Android devices, preferrably running Android 4.0 for better Bluetooth capabilities.
If you have any questions, please feel free to post a comment below, and I'll get back to you instantly. I lurk here more often than you think. ;)

Attachments

• Server.zip
    935.8 KB · Views: 965
  • bluetooth.apk
    188.9 KB · Views: 665

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't have that many devices for testing ;(

question, say you have your devices in such an arrangement:

1 2 3 4 5 (a line)

and 1 and 5 are normally too far away for a Bluetooth connection, will your system work? will it go through 2, 3, and 4, in order to bridge the connection?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I wasn't able to add a method that allows Bluetooth ad-hoc connections, since I haven't gone that far.

1and 5 will only connect to 2, 3, and 4. They both can't connect to each other, so they will only relay towards those 3 devices.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.