Technology Anger mounts after Facebook's 'shadow profiles' leak in bug

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Friday Facebook announced the fix of a bug it said inadvertently exposed the private information of over six million users when Facebook's previously unknown shadow profiles accidentally merged with user accounts in data history record requests.

According to Reuters, the data leak spanned a year beginning in 2012.

The personal information leaked by the bug is information that had not been given to Facebook by the users - it is data Facebook has been compiling on its users behind closed doors, without their consent.

A growing number of Facebook users are furious and demand to know who saw private information they had expressly not given to Facebook.

------------------------
So Facebook is trying to hook up a whole bunch of other information from the net on its users behind everyones back. The question is - is this even a crime? Probably not but I am not very happy about it. What do you think?

Last edited:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Why give out so much of your personal information in the first place? Data security is not perfect and mistakes happen. I think too many people are thinking they are and their property is safe on the internet. Also, these users shouldn't bitch around when reality gives them a wake up call. The services offered by Facebook are for free and it's interface and functions are alternating and evolving so fast that it's only natural that security issues will manifest.
The internet ist a dangerous place if you're naiive enough to think that you're safe.
However Data theft is a different story, if you could call it that, due to the fact that in the end you are entrusting personal data to a 3rd person and it has to be stored somewhere for you to have access over it. I'm not quite sure what to call this, but a little mistrust and skepsis is always good if you're surfing the web.

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
Sounds like another reason NOT to use Facebook. You put all your private information on the internet and expect it to stay private? Should have just kept it to yourself, anything said electronically is going to be written down and recorded.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.