General Anonymous cyberwarriors stun experts

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Internet subcultures rarely make front page news. But when the mysterious forces of Anonymous took it upon themselves to attack opponents of WikiLeaks, the whistle-blowing website, their success took everyone – not least victims such as Visa, MasterCard and PayPal – by surprise.

This year has seen military and security experts often warn about the prospects of “cyberwarfare”. Few expected the most prominent assaults against large companies to come from a scattered group of anarchists and idealists with no identifiable leader, membership or nationality.

The loose internet grouping that calls itself Anonymous has been notorious in web circles for years, particularly for its apparently random attacks on the music industry, Kiss singer Gene Simmons, YouTube and the Scientologists. Its wilfully illiterate grammar and black humour has permeated the internet far beyond the 4chan messageboard, which originally spawned it.

Even as the more serious matters of attacks on big companies were plotted this week, Anonymous followers in 4chan’s open chat rooms chimed in with insults and jokes. But with what it has dubbed “Operation Payback” the group has mounted its most ideological crusade yet.

Last edited:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Simply awesome.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
So, what are they so stunned about?

This is what I'd call activisism.
It's just a bunch of people that do what they think is right and take any measures to do so.

esb

Reaction score
They're stunned at the lack of order and leadership.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
"mysterious forces of Anonymous" Sounds like an evil army of some video game.:D

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the article that suggests that "experts" are stunned beside the title. Also, who are these "experts"? I'm sure computer scientists and engineers are not surprised from what Wikipedia has shown them.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
How a unstructured group with no leadership can accomplish this much.
If you think mankind as an unstructured group without any leader (world leader, emperor of the world, Conqueror of the Shamballa, etc.), then it's perfectly acceptable for them to accomplish as much as possible.

esb

Reaction score
Mankind (for the majority) isn't and hasn't been unstructured or without a leader. Groups (Religion, countries, cities, tribes, schools, work places, etc.) have leaders. The whole world doesn't have a leader.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
they do more or less have a leadership and talk/organize/coordinate their attacks..

also

[YOUTUBE]zMNRSi93qIk[/YOUTUBE]

oprah claims anon is organized

esb

Reaction score
She doesn't count. She's simply stupid and ignorant.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
You can't compare Anon with other organized structures, it's impossible. There's no rank or leaders, there's not even a sign up form. You simply log in and give your two cents, if people agree it can become a movement.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
You can't compare Anon with other organized structures, it's impossible. There's no rank or leaders, there's not even a sign up form. You simply log in and give your two cents, if people agree it can become a movement.

How are you supposed to log in without signing up?
Is it just, Nickname and Password?

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
How are you supposed to log in without signing up?
Is it just, Nickname and Password?

lol, what I meant was you don't need to fill out a lengthy form like you would for a job. I haven't explored 4chan to much, but I'm sure you can leave replies without an account. That's how Anonymous came to be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.