Technology Anonymous takes out Sony.com and Playstation.com

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Yeah, from what I understand, a new law / regulation / whatever states that jailbreaking is legal, and that companies can't sue anyone whom jailbreaks, or develops jailbreaks.

If I ever find the article / new posts, I'll link 'em.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Yeah, from what I understand, a new law / regulation / whatever states that jailbreaking is legal, and that companies can't sue anyone whom jailbreaks, or develops jailbreaks.

If I ever find the article / new posts, I'll link 'em.

Well that's good news!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
WHAT? I never knew that o_O

it is legal - you are using the device that you paid for to it's fullest, as opposed to being locked down and being told in what ways you can and can't use it - most of the time this voids the warranty (the link is for iphones, since those get the most attention, and are the only ones that the term "jailbreaking" really applies to, but it covers pretty much all devices, including DD-WRT/tomato on routers)

how else would you guys suggest attacking sony? in court has proven ineffective, and this hits them where it hurts (their customers, who will be angry at sony, since anon isn't a target that they can take their anger out on) - or are you the kind of person who would prefer to do nothing and let devices get locked down and less accessible?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
You can't jailbreak it and then use it to cheat. You also will probably void your warranty but no one can really stop you.

I would suggest not attacking Sony. By these same standards, my company would be attacked for our security system we're using to protect our assets. What happened to their whole thing about nonviolence?

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I'm actually happy this happened. This just goes to show you. If you mess with people and tell them what they can't do. It will be done. Sony had it coming to them. Now Sony just needs to let people do whatever they want and fix up your network.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
what exactly are the benefits of jailbreaking a device such as the ps3
apart form being able to play illegal copies of games?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's irrelevant.

The point is the consumer has every right to do what they want with their console. Sony can choose to refuse a service (PSN) because of what they do, but they can not take legal action against a consumer for doing a legal action with their legally owned product. Taking apart a PS3, despite popular belief, is legal. Geohot merely did that, and was sued by Sony.

Sony violated the legal rights of an anon, and anonymous fought back.

Jailbreaking also does have other uses.

i.e., one could jailbreak to install a distribution of linux and one could, say, hunt pedophiles.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I wonder. Could Geohot counter-sue Sony (and win)?

not likely, as legal battles are mostly a battle of $$ (civil suits in the U.S. atleast) - sony has $$, Geohot does not (relative to sony)

what can you use a computer for besides playing games? - all of those possibilities

P.S. - if sony was going after the people who played games without buying them, that would be one thing, but they aren't - they are lumping all the people together and going after everyone, regardless if they played games on it or not - that there is the major issue

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Sony are suing Geohot because he published the key which is required by games to be able to run on the PS3. For all his claims he doesn't condone piracy, releasing the one thing which would most easily enable it makes those claims ridiculously laughable.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
He published a key. That doesn't sound illegal. Sounds maybe unethical but not illegal.

Varine

Reaction score
Mailing someone a packet of sugar doesn't sound illegal either. Weird, maybe, but still quite illegal.

Varine

Reaction score
Makes sense to me that publishing things that will likely cause a company to lose a significant amount of money without permission is illegal.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. Anon is helping geohot? He's a freaking asshat. I've owned a PS3 for 5 years and I've been forced to pay 60 dollars per game. And looking back at it, legitimacy over piracy doesn't actually hurt me as much as I'd expect it to feel.

Sony isn't going to back down on a fight against piracy, and I'll actually support them on that. Anon has never actually won against anyone, and when they challenge a corporate giant like Sony, they're not going to get a reaction at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.