Environment Antarctic glacier 'thinning fast'

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
One of the largest glaciers in Antarctica is thinning four times faster than it was 10 years ago, according to research seen by the BBC.

A study of satellite measurements of Pine Island glacier in west Antarctica reveals the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

Since 1994, the glacier has lowered by as much as 90m, which has serious implications for sea-level rise.

The work by British scientists appears in Geophysical Research Letters.

The team was led by Professor Duncan Wingham of University College London (UCL).

Calculations based on the rate of melting 15 years ago had suggested the glacier would last for 600 years. But the new data points to a lifespan for the vast ice stream of only another 100 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Good! It needs to lose weight!

Applesauce

Reaction score
Polar Bears are the Arctic
I nearly LOLed when I saw that :p
Maybe penguins then? But they can swim..

I don't see how heightened water levels will affect us much though. Maybe a few tsunamis, but nothing else.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I nearly LOLed when I saw that :p
Maybe penguins then? But they can swim..

I don't see how heightened water levels will affect us much though. Maybe a few tsunamis, but nothing else.

Global water level increase means flooding. That's the general idea, nothing much we can really do about it.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Maybe a few tsunamis, but nothing else.
Rising sea levels will not directly cause more tsunamis. They are caused by earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions, and a whole load of other ways, but not by mere rising sea levels.

And we shouldn't worry about Global Warming. We already have the solution.
futuramaglobalwarming.jpg

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Rising sea levels will not directly cause more tsunamis. They are caused by earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions, and a whole load of other ways, but not by mere rising sea levels.

And we shouldn't worry about Global Warming. We already have the solution.
futuramaglobalwarming.jpg

That is a really impractical solution(could work tho). If I did not know better I would say you watch to much futurama:p

I would say that the dutch people would be worst of:eek:
But what would be bad about them going under water?
They would become legends for crying out loud:eek:
Dutchland, the land that sank to the bottom of the sea(Does it ring a bell to anyone):p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And if global warming gets out of control, and all the ice melts, the next ice age could be triggered.

Oh.. Wait.
Ermm.. o_O

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The ice-age is a method the Earth uses to cool down much like us sweating when we are too hot. Makes sense Romek? :p

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Pollution makes more carbon dioxide and other high atmosphere elements to rise up, making less sunlight able to escape. Causing Antarctic to melts, causing sea levels to rise.

Sea Level rising and temperature rising causes the world climates to change.

The problem is we know that much but, when we say the World Climate changes, we have no idea how bad it could be. We can only assume.

Also with the sea level rising most coastal cities will (probably) be underwater, (Especially Florida) so... :thdown:

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
This is serious business guys.
Global warming is a bigger problem than terrorist, national debt and all of that. The potential damage the can be done to humanity due to this is huge. Too bad are leaders just don't give a damn.

R 3 T R O

Reaction score
Yeah i agree, People don't really realize the damage this can cause until it actually happens. If we don't act now, it will be too late and we will regret it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.