Anyone have a Zune HD?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a Microsoft Zune HD, because they look pretty effing awesome and that, but I'd like to know any of your guys' opinions on it. Is it as awesome as it looks?
Oh, and to you Apple fanatics, don't reply with stuff like "the iPod Touch is better because it has more apps" I don't care about apps and so far the Zune is sexier, has better hardware and is more lightweight.

Thoughts?
PS: http://www.zune.net/en-US/

Thanks

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Might I suggest searching on YouTube for Zune HD vs iPod Touch videos, or even just about the Zune HD. I like the look of it (I've never used one), and I probably would get one if the iPod Touch (or iPhone) didn't exist.

If you're interested in an iPod Touch, it might be worth you waiting until around September when the next iPod Touch generation will be released (I wouldn't buy one now), I'm sure it'll have the same resolution as the iPhone 4G (960x640). On the same thought of refreshes, how long has the Zune HD been out? Could it possibly be updated in the next few months?
has better hardware
I don't think its hardware is any better? Why do you say that?

EDIT: This is a Zune HD vs iPod Touch YouTube video sort of comparison by PCMag
EDIT 2: This is a Zune HD vs iPod Touch browser YouTube video comparison by TechnoBuffalo
EDIT 3: This is a review by NewEgg

Overall, it looks pretty cool. The OLED screen looks really nice too.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Thanks for the vids. Overall I think the Zune HD is good for what I want to do. (media, not web)
Also, I'm not really interested in getting an iPod Touch, they're not really my type of gadget. And they're not as sexy looking :thup:

With better hardware I mean for example the display.

EDIT: Anyone know any American online stores who can transport to Denmark?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
No worries, and yes the screen does look very nice.
And they're not as sexy looking
Haha, that makes me wonder if Apple will redo the look of the iPod Touch 4G to match that of the iPhone 4G.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
iPod touch is better because it has more apps </sarcasm>

I used a friends Zune once, and it's waaaay better than the iPod.
I'd get one, but there's an app I need for my iPod. :/

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Which one? I guess I could make it, if it's not connecting to some sorta web thingy dingy.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
get the zune.

Apps dont come over actual usability of a product.
If applications are the only redeeming factor of an ipod, then dont take it.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
so you wanted to buy something. That isnt available in your country? o_O

Since it was released in Sept of last year.. id say not anytime soon

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Well yes, it's awesome. I figured I could buy the Zune HD and make it go to a friend of mine (in the US) instead of me and then when she got to Denmark she could take it with her, and then I would wait for the Zune HD services to get to europe and just use the media player.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read something about it soon coming the europe.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Sure bout that? I thought I heard somewhere that due to moderate sales they won't sell the Zune outside the US

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could try looking around eBay. There's a good chance that you'll find a new (unpacked) Zune that will ship to your country.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
When the iPad first came out in the US, I had it shipped to a friend then sent via FedEx to me. I'd say that's your safest bet (if you can trust this person, if it doesn't come to Europe anytime soon).

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Which one? I guess I could make it, if it's not connecting to some sorta web thingy dingy.

The app I need? It's a basically a list of food I can and cannot eat. :/

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
EDIT: This is a Zune HD vs iPod Touch YouTube video sort of comparison by PCMag
EDIT 2: This is a Zune HD vs iPod Touch browser YouTube video comparison by TechnoBuffalo
EDIT 3: This is a review by NewEgg

Has the Zune HD upgraded since those? Because those are from September, and the iPod Touch seems nice still there. Faster and more options.

You have to pay $14.99 per month for the marketplace? Is the marketplace similar to iTunes? Could you still access the Zune software without paying? Because I don't think paying 15 per month is nice, :(
I could still, like with iTunes, use and add my own media to my Zune right?
Because my main purpose for these things is like more of personal media. Like even if I had an iPod Touch or something, I wouldn't really use it mainly to go buying stuff, but more for my own files and music and movies. Though, ehem, of course there's other ways around that.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
its 15 dollars a month for unlimited songs. I guess like rhapsody.

I would totally buy one, because no one has one.

Wait hold on, the Zune HD has apps too. Weird o_O
Zune HD doesnt have a built-in speaker, although i rarely find a spot quite enough to hear my own ipod without headphones, but it seems to have a better screen

The thing is that many song are on itunes, although i mostly use CDs for my classical music it might be troublesome to depend wholly on CDs instead of Itunes.

Ipod touch 64GB: 400USD
Zune HD 64GB: 350USD + 15USD for designs
So its a little cheaper

The Zune HD can also be customized, which is kinda important to me personally because you can really make the Zune HD your own

In my opinion i think the Zune HD is a viable replacement, and possibly better replacement, than the IPod, but so many people own IPods..
One of my favorite cubers has a Zune, and that is probably the only time ive seen someone else own a Zune, owning one would be quite unique.
The ipod is also much more equipped to handle social networking and other stuff, since Zune HD has no calendar, SMS, or others.

Anyway.. here is a rather outdated T-chart
http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=172048&page=1&zoomIdx=1

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Hmm... I found one on eBay I could buy. Pretty cheap too (only 40$ for a transport over the atlantic ocean :p)
But there's some tag "Important: best_tech_express requires immediate payment for this item with PayPal." What does this mean? I clicked learn more and I read that I had to make an immediate payment when purchasing it, to make sure that they actually get the money before shipping. Sounds OK, but it also says "Be aware that another member could win the item first by paying first." Does this mean that if I pay, and another has payed already, I lose my money?

If I buy it, I'll tell you guys about my experiences when I get it.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
But there's some tag "Important: best_tech_express requires immediate payment for this item with PayPal." What does this mean? I clicked learn more and I read that I had to make an immediate payment when purchasing it, to make sure that they actually get the money before shipping. Sounds OK, but it also says "Be aware that another member could win the item first by paying first." Does this mean that if I pay, and another has payed already, I lose my money?

That means that once you win the auction you just need to pay as soon as you possibly can. It will only be shipped once you have payed for it. No-one else can pay when you have won the auction, so you are at no risk of losing your money.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
That means that once you win the auction you just need to pay as soon as you possibly can. It will only be shipped once you have payed for it. No-one else can pay when you have won the auction, so you are at no risk of losing your money.

Oh, okay. I finally somewhat convinced my parents that I need one, and that it's a good idea, but I'm not really sure it's such a good idea. I mean, when I use it, can I use it? It doesn't lock for music or anything when it figures out I'm in europe? I realize I can't use the marketplace, but that's fine.
Also, if I brake it I can't get support, can I?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.