AoE DoT

Kyux

Reaction score
how can i make it so when you enter the region (AoE of previous spell) you take DoT for however long you are in that area? sorta like the tiberium effect in C&C3

Endless_Trev

Reaction score
every second add all units within the range of the middle of the area, to a temporary unit group, pick every unit in the group and damage it, then destroy the group

BarzahdX

Reaction score
If your question is as simple as you made it sounds, just make an ability based off of any AoE DoT spell, of which there are a plethora; flamestrike, blizzard, cluster rockets, to name a few.

If you mean a non-channel, than you'll have to have a dummy cast the spell on the targeted location of the original(hero?) caster's spell.

DL.PIGGY

Reaction score
Or you could have a dummy unit at the point with immolation or building damage aura

Kyux

Reaction score
the trigger one sounds a lot better, i haven't had too much luck dealing with dummies. so could you please explain a bit more on that first reply?

Happysmiley

Reaction score
You could also base a spell off of inferno, and set it to summon a dummy unit instead of the infernal. Give the dummy unit an aura that gives hp regen, but set it to a negative value. There isn't alot of triggering required, so it suits you if you don't have that much knowledge of it.

DL.PIGGY

Reaction score
You could also base a spell off of inferno, and set it to summon a dummy unit instead of the infernal. Give the dummy unit an aura that gives hp regen, but set it to a negative value. There isn't alot of triggering required, so it suits you if you don't have that much knowledge of it.

Nope doesnt work. Negative hp regen will mess up the killing unit/damage source.
Stick to permanent immolation or Building damage aura, other wise use flamestrike and stuffs as above mentioned.

Kyux

Reaction score
i dont really mind how it's done, but can someone please explain thier way to me? with triggers and stuff too

Never_Quit

Reaction score
Err.. Sorry but can someone explain what is DoT? :nuts:

Damage over time.

the trigger one sounds a lot better, i haven't had too much luck dealing with dummies. so could you please explain a bit more on that first reply?

You will have to trigger it whether it has a dummy unit or not (or use pre-existing spells and buffs). If you do not use a dummy unit you will need to use timers. (Timers and pre-existing spells can get messy depending on the number of abilities.)

i dont really mind how it's done, but can someone please explain thier way to me? with triggers and stuff too

There is more than one way to do this.
To make a non channel, channeling ability, I would do something like...

Trigger:
  • Channel Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Blizzard
      • ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set tempPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Triggering player) at tempPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add (Ability being cast) to (Last created unit)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)) Greater than 1
        • Then - Actions
          • For each (Integer A) from 2 to (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)), do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Increase level of (Ability being cast) for (Last created unit)
        • Else - Actions
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Archmage - Blizzard tempPoint
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_tempPoint)
      • Wait 0.01 seconds
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Stop
      • Animation - Reset (Triggering unit)'s animation
      • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)'s spell animation
      • Animation - Queue (Triggering unit)'s stand animation

The wait command is so the cooldown fires. It will not interfere with multiple people casting at the same time.

and then for clean up

Trigger:
  • Rid Dummies
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Footman
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game

EDIT: This method would be handy in that there would be one trigger for each dummy spell, so you just copy the trigger and replace the spell blizzard with whatever.

It also has one clean up trigger. Just make sure that your dummy unit has enough mana to cast.

Cons: It probably leaks. Also, I'm not sure if scoring or experience would work properly with this setup. If the hero dies, the spell will remain cast until finished.
Also notice the damage factor on the test map. The more blizzards cast, the less damage done??

The last thing left, would be to add the invulnerable(neutral) ability to the dummy, set the shadows to x and y size 0, and set the dummy's model to NONE

Attachments

• Dummy Test.w3x
    19.6 KB · Views: 169

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
You could also just spawn a unit with Locust and Permanent Immolation. If you want the spell to be channeled, use something like Tornado to summon the unit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.