Apache Webserver 2.2 - Limit Bandwidth?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm running a Apache 2.2.17 webserver right now, and it currently is un-throttled in any sort as far as I'm aware (unless there is a default throttle?). The problem with this is, I have a 4Mb/s upload speed. That means that if the user has a good download, it will hog all of my internet speed and pretty much cut me out of the internet if someone is downloading something at times...

Is there a way to limit bandwidth usage to say, 100kb/s or 200kb/s for apache in general at one time? There was mod_bandwidth for 1.3, but that no long works or is around in 2.2.

Thanks, I've looked around google and surprisingly couldn't come up with anything for 2.2, and the ones that were there were crazy old...

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to vote for using Litespeed (http://www.litespeedtech.com/). It's a drop-in replacement to Apache if you're not familiar with it, and it gives you options for per-client throttling that might work for what you want.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Another option, if your router supports traffic shaping or QoS, would be to use the router to rate-limit your apache box. That would probably end up being the most reliable solution.

Other than that, Ghan's suggestion is a good one. The free version of litespeed works quite well.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Another option, if your router supports traffic shaping or QoS, would be to use the router to rate-limit your apache box. That would probably end up being the most reliable solution

My router is a Ubuntu 10.10 box set up as a router, I do NAT routing via the Webmin software. it's pretty nice, I believe it has QoS in there, I'll have to check it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.