Sci/Tech Apple moves to ban Samsung's Galaxy SIII handset in the U.S.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Apple has moved to ban Samsung's new Galaxy S3 handset in the U.S., saying it infringes two Apple patents.
The companies have been locked in a patent battle on several continents for years - but Apple's latest move targets a key handset for Samsung, seen also as a 'standard bearer' for Google's Android operating system. The handset is due to launch on June 21 in America, and has been seen as a considerable threat to Apple's iPhone 4S, as it offers faster processing and a bigger screen.

Apple is widely expected to launch a new iPhone later this summer. Samsung said it will vigorously oppose Apple's request for a court to ban sales of the Galaxy S III smartphone and still plans to go ahead with the device's scheduled release in the U.S. on June 21. The South Korean company said in a statement that it will 'demonstrate to the court that the Galaxy S III is innovative and distinctive.'

=============================
In my opinion Apple are being ridiculous. This isn't the first time they've done something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
and it doesn't even mention what the patents are.. instead it gives way too much background information on both companies

the font is too small - the "report" is larger then the "read more"

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Yes that's another thing, what are these patents? I hope we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks, I didn't realise!

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
The short version from what I've read: Apple's currently suing over the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and they're arguing the SGS3 should be included with it as it's similar in design, and according to them (and my memory) a direct successor.

Two of four alleged patents against the Galaxy Nexus I think are acknowledged by the court (I could have the terms wrong). I don't remember what they are, but I know one of the claims that wasn't accepted was about slide to unlock.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Patent Wars. (Android vs. iOS)
Console Wars. (Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft)
Pirate Wars. (Piracy vs. Internet Freedom)
Hacker Wars. (Anonymous vs. big companies)
Browser Wars. (IE/Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera/etc.)
Real Life Wars (terrorism, war zones, etc.)
OS Wars (Windows/Mac OS X/Linux)
Forum Wars (here)
Plague Wars (Cancer vs. Health)
Food Wars (Obesity vs. Fast Food)
Economic Wars (Economic recession at EU and US)

How many wars are we going to get in this decade?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Patent Wars. (Android vs. iOS)
Console Wars. (Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft)
Pirate Wars. (Piracy vs. Internet Freedom)
Hacker Wars. (Anonymous vs. big companies)
Browser Wars. (IE/Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera/etc.)
Real Life Wars (terrorism, war zones, etc.)
OS Wars (Windows/Mac OS X/Linux)
Forum Wars (here)
Plague Wars (Cancer vs. Health)
Food Wars (Obesity vs. Fast Food)
Economic Wars (Economic recession at EU and US)

How many wars are we going to get in this decade?

you missed drug wars and the war on poverty

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Notice that Real Life Wars is relatively far down on the list. Are we really getting so sidetracked?
Also, the War against Nature belongs on that list too.

Zakyath

Reaction score
I'm seriously tired of all things regarding patents. One should not be able to patent an idea.

yeah, the idea that a poor man can make money on his own cunning and ambition is not OK. whoever's got the most money should be the one making (even more) money from their hard work.

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
yeah, the idea that a poor man can make money on his own cunning and ambition is not OK. whoever's got the most money should be the one making (even more) money from their hard work.

I feel patenting technology and ideas only hinders their progression and thus our progression as a human race. Yes, it's true, one man may have come up with an idea, and Iapplaud them. Unfortunately whoever documents the rights to that idea first is the one who gets the money with the way our patent system works.

I guess if you have a good idea, don't tell anyone until you get to the patent office. Then just sue anyone who didn't ask for permission to use your idea. Bankrupt them if you can!

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Say one single thing that we don't make war about?
Major ones that make headlines, appear in news broadcasts etc.? Or petty disputes and disagreements that escalate into large-scale physical violence?

Oh, wait. They're almost the same thing.
Basically anything that can cause disagreement can cause a war. The magnitude of that word depends on you.

Not everyone who works hard makes money, and not everyone who makes money has worked hard.

I feel patenting technology and ideas only hinders their progression and thus our progression as a human race. Yes, it's true, one man may have come up with an idea, and Iapplaud them. Unfortunately whoever documents the rights to that idea first is the one who gets the money with the our patent system works.

I guess if you have a good idea, don't tell anyone until you get to the patent office. Then just sue anyone who didn't ask for permission to use your idea. Bankrupt them if you can!
This competitiveness in itself is a problem. It hinders possible growth by the rivals of that one man. Pooling our resources and ideas could lead to faster development.

Of course, there's the argument that competitiveness encourages you to work faster, think harder, make more. But it can still be disruptive, and some just can't take it and crack, leading to further losses.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The problem with patents is that you can't really claim an idea as yours, lets take the airplane for example. The Egyptians made a plane model long ago but the Wright Brothers claim as their idea, and lets not forget Leonardo da Vinci. This is just how capitalism works, a few get rich, and the rest get nothing.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
And there are even more problems.
Just because you patent something in the US or europe or somewhere, doesnt hold the chinese people back from stealing your ideas anyway.
You cannot sue them, they just make their own iPhone.
And we here in europe fight each other whether you can slide-to-unlock or not while they are partying with their pirated products which just work like the real ones.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
and getting rid of patents isn't going to make things even more unfair...?
If you don't feel so much ownership for an idea that anyone could have, nothing's unfair about it. Everyone gets equal benefits from the results of that idea, so why should we be so possessive about what's "ours"?

And there are even more problems.
Just because you patent something in the US or europe or somewhere, doesnt hold the chinese people back from stealing your ideas anyway.
You cannot sue them, they just make their own iPhone.
That comes from being too specific. It generates so many loopholes in which people can do stuff that's similar but not the same.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.