Are animals sentient?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
They have nothing to do with the answer of this question
But they're still have good point and sure they have a bit answer off it.
Sorry but it wasn't a f*cking random quote. I removed it so happy now?
BTW: Don't Always Listen to dictionary. Really.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
But they're still have good point and sure they have a bit answer off it.
Sorry but it wasn't a f*cking random quote. I removed it so happy now?
BTW: Don't Always Listen to dictionary. Really.

Calm down dude, I just said that the definition they used for their information is incorrect and that is all I said. Perhaps I was a bit harsh with the random quotes part, and for that I apologize.
I just think that we could keep this discussion serious. Many things is ruined because of people getting those things involved.
The thing is that most organizations twist and turn the information until they get it from an angle that fits their needs. To often, as in this case, they get to far away from the truth.

I am just saying that to get an answer you first have to know what question to ask, the thing is that most people got the wrong idea about the meaning of the word sentient. Sentient is not emotions, sentience is not awareness of the self, it is the ability to percieve things objectively. That organization you posted that quote from said that it was emotions, if that was true and sentient beings where banned from the dinner table, then we would not eat any meat at all.

I say that if you say that you know about an animal that has the ability to percieve things objectively, then prove it, explain it and show it, please.

FireCat

Reaction score
Well let's see.. when I have more time

Perhaps I was a bit harsh with the random quotes part, and for that I apologize..
It's okay :thup:

But, how can I prove it?.
well, You don't like my poor quotes. hehe
Hmm.. maybe, I take my dog to you? LOL

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Well let's see.. when I have more time

It's okay :thup:

But, how can I prove it?.
well, You don't like my poor quotes. hehe
Hmm.. maybe, I take my dog to you? LOL

Well, for your information, I got a dog, and it is not very bright at all, I have actually seen no dog that has been very smart, and I have seen dogs that can count and stuff:p

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
thats not "learning" that is training. The dog cant do that without someone physically showing you it. A baby could learn how to do things without being taught. Or any human being for that matter.

For example. Lets say.. You didnt know how to solve a rubiks cube :)P) a person could use common logical thinking to think through what the moves do to the cube.
A dog cant do that.

FireCat

Reaction score
Well, for your information, I got a dog,
and it is not very bright at all, I have actually seen no dog
that has been very smart, and I have seen dogs that can count
and stuff:p
What dog you have?
Well, my dog is pretty bright and smart. I had 2 dogs before my third.
But they was to old and past away.

But, Yeah dogs can do a lot of trix if we learning them that.
But they can even do smart things with out learning from a human.
Thats for sure.! even if you not belived it they could do.
So, some dogs are pretty smart.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
It's been proven that bumblebees can count to three. A primitive insect like that with hardly any brain still has the ability to count without being taught.

Edit:

It was actually a honeybee, and it could count to four without being taught, have concepts of symmetry and asymmetry, and use symbolic language.

Ain't that interesting? :eek:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
For example. Lets say.. You didnt know how to solve a rubiks cube :)P) a person could use common logical thinking to think through what the moves do to the cube.
A dog cant do that.

Seriously dude, you just helped me express my point in the best possible way:) Thank you:thup:

It was actually a honeybee, and it could count to four without being taught, have concepts of symmetry and asymmetry, and use symbolic language.

The symmety part is no suprise considering the beehives:p But the other things, where have you read that, I would really like to learn more about it:)

@FireCat:
I don't know what it is called but my families dog is 50%golden retriever and the other english cocker-spaniel(I think that it is called that in English to). And that dog is not the brightest one in the bunch.
My GF's dog is a 100% cocker-spaniel, I preffer to call it the little monster, you can't find a more manipulative dog than that little bastard, it does everything it can to get what it wants and it does not stop for anything to get it:( It is not the brightest dog in the bunch either. I got this little game I like to play with it, and he never learns from his mistakes, when I walk it and he sees a bunny I get him really excited and then he runs and when the string of the leash ends he makes a backflip:cool: Man I hate that dog so much:rolleyes:

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
The symmety part is no suprise considering the beehives:p But the other things, where have you read that, I would really like to learn more about it:)
Here.

I quote:
Bees are the only other species, to date, that have been shown to communicate with symbolic language—that is, they can "talk" about details of something that is not present. (We note that psychologists dispute the use of the terms "symbolic" being applied to any non-human communication systems, but bee scientists regularly apply this term to describe bee language.) And what do bees "talk" about? Mostly astronomy – in particular about the Sun; where it is as compared to where the flowers are. And how do they "talk"? Mostly they dance!

Incase you didn't notice, the "here" above is composed of five different links, just so you know.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I'm still a bit doubtful considering that I don't know the full nature nor extent of the experiment.
I'm not sure what a baffle is, but I am pretty sure that it is some kind of hatch, the bees could actually have some kind of sense that we don't know about yet:p

It sure is amazing though, but I will still stick to my earlier statement about the animal I think is closest to what we call sentience and that is those chimpanzees:D

FireCat

Reaction score
I got this little game I like to play with it, and he never learns from his mistakes, when I walk it and he sees a bunny I get him really excited and then he runs and when the string of the leash ends he makes a backflip:cool: Man I hate that dog so much:rolleyes:
Hahah, what a dog you have. well, he does forget the leash.
because you make him so excited, no wonder. Poor dog :mad:

BTW:
About; The science of animal sentience
And its not a crap site. hehehe
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/animal_sentience/science/default.aspx

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
BTW:
About; The science of animal sentience
And its not a crap site. hehehe
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/animal_sentience/science/default.aspx

That kind of compation that they have got my friend out of work because one pig had a bruce in the size of a swedish 5:( Most of what those people do is good, but they usually take it to far. I meant that it is not a legit enought site to be looking for what words mean. I never said that it was a crap site;)

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
I believe animals are very aware that they exists..and I believe they are very aware they can die. Why else do they have the instincts to hunt. Then again...why do so many animals run out in front of cars...this has given me something to ponder. :thdown:

South-Titan

Reaction score
I think you mean sapient. Sentience is self-thought, only bacteria and basic organisms don't have sentience.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I think you mean sapient. Sentience is self-thought, only bacteria and basic organisms don't have sentience.

Seriously dude, look up that word and you will probably just as I be surprised over how confused the actual meaning of that word has become.
Self-thought is not the proper definition of the word Sentience.
It is in fact the ability to "perceive the things objectively".

There is probably many animals that are capable of that, but I would not draw the line as low as you did, that is just poor judgment.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Sorry, sorry, but that's how I was taught it. Don't have to hit me with my own words or anything.

That was not my intention of doing, if I did I am sorry^^
One should not believe anything one is taught these days:eek:

Feralex

Reaction score
I believe animals are sentient since we humans are animals too. We just happen to have a more highly developed brain and that allows us to put more pieces to the puzzles of the moral and philosophical issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.