Are you a GUI or JASS?

Do you like GUI or JASS

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
I think it is a waste of time to post in this topic.

QFT.

The only reason someone who knows JASS would even consider going back to GUI would be in order to create something for someone who clearly doesn't get the "change this value" comments.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
after 50 + votes, GUI is winning in the votes... maybe JASS is too hard, maybe GUI users are ignorant, but lets face it, our thehelper.net community uses more GUI then JASS... only by a slight margin though....

keep the votes coming :)

mordocai

Reaction score
only reason GUI is winning is because of this simple fact-
JASS is intimidating i admit it. Its a big block of text that if you dont know wth your doing will be most likely messed up, and you wont understand the problem.
However some people like to use GUI because they cant write jass, but are too ignorant to learn it saying its "too hard" and "ill never understand it", etc. As for me, i have just now started to understand how to use GUI/MUI and arrays. I can understand JASS but think that learning it now will not be that beneficial but will later. I have read tuts and everything and thats the reason i understand the basic/semi-advanced things. However GUI is WAY more user-friendly then jass is, because it uses visuals Thus i voted both, because i use GUI but understand jass

DBZ-123

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Chose both

I prefer jass more than gui.
Coding In Jass Is Fun For Me For Some Reason

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
For some reason colored text looks more appealing than those GUI thingies, which are pretty hard to read IMO..

Sid

Reaction score
Depends... I prefer GUI but quickly turn to JASS if any advanced code shows up
Also, I have coded an AoS AI completely in GUI... So, I don't think GUI sucks.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
It sucks, you just dont know it yet. You can do stuff with GUI, but you just end up banging your head in the wall more often than with Jass. :banghead:

( Actually, the above sentence is not quite true, because when you learn Jass, you want to do more advanced stuff, so you will still end up banging your head when things dont work. :banghead: )

edit. :banghead:

edit 2. an example: Lets say you wanna make a knockback:
You can do it with GUI.
You can do it even easier with Jass.
Then you realise that since you are using Jass, you can include dozens of cool extra features, that are impossible to do with GUI. And since some of those extra features can be pretty difficult to make, the banghead amount stays pretty much constant. ( At least this is how it works for me )

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Both.

I know GUI and I'm learning JASS, I already know the basics of JASS. Things I'm unsure about are methods, static, delegate, interface, keyword.... etc..... I only can make basic slide spells using ABC.... :(

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
All those things you listed are vJass struct related stuff.

I dont think you ever need interfaces or delegate, unless you want to make some cool and complex system. But you should try to learn what method and static mean. Keyword can be useful too, in some rare cases. ( I hardly ever have any use for it )

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
What does keyword do?

You shouldn't use ABC though, it's quite old. Use TimerUtils or something although in the past I used TT which I now realise that
TimerUtils is better to work with.

LoveTD's

Reaction score
I'm learning how to program in C# and other languages right now,
and I find it more usefull to use GUI because of all the actions the editor has to give us.
With GUI you can easily see what actions you have and with jass you would have to learn every single line of action the editor has to offer us. GUI is also simple and understandible.
If I had a little bit more time I would love to know all the actions in jass, but writing effective code with GUI is much and much less time wasting as learning all the codes in jass :).

Thats why I preferr GUI over jass.

(If you however already know jass then that would probably be faster to make codes, dunno for sure though because I never made a good working trigger in jass... I'm only using some custom scripts sometimes in my GUI codes...)

free_killing

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
GUI is the BEST u can do alot of stuff with it without needing the knolege of programing as for jass is very hard to learn for most people and u need he knolege of programing

im trying to learn jass but i have no idea:nuts:

there for GUI IS THE BEST FOR ME

THE OVER ALL GUI MUI IS THE BEST

You have to know a little bit to use GUI, if not, then you will make almost all your triggers not MUI, not leakless, and much more..

Igor_Z

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Best solution is both... Cuz if u know GUI u can make a lot of spells, but u should know that GUI is limited and cannot do some stuff, on the other hand JASS is almost unlimited... Thats when custom scripts come up.. U can use JASS functions in custom scripts, combine them with GUI and u can do whatever u want if u mix them both... Anyways i know that Proffesionals will chose JASS over GUI, but if u ask me, i use both of them together & the results r great

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Poll said:
GUI
216199, BANANAMAN, Cheddar

omg, just read cohadar :DD

With GUI you can easily see what actions you have and with jass you would have to learn every single line of action the editor has to offer us. GUI is also simple and understandible.

There are IDEs for a reason ; )
You can always look 'em up in the JASS API vex(?) uploaded, or using aforementioned IDEs (TESH & JC both have a function list).

GUI can be a pain to read. The only pro I see is that you have code folding and automatical indention, which some JASSers do actively ignore.
If I look at SOME PEOPLE's GUI code... Ouch. When I have to JASS a System for BS CF, I throw away all old code he used and recode it myself^^

If I had a little bit more time I would love to know all the actions in jass, but writing effective code with GUI is much and much less time wasting as learning all the codes in jass .

You cannot write effective code with the GUI :/ In order to do truly effective things, you will need to code your own functions. Elsewise you will need to recode the same XYZ lines of codes over and over again, or you will have to do Strange and Unreadable Trigger Execution.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I prefer GUI.

I never encountered something that I can't do in GUI, but it's done in JASS...
I started learning JASS but I quit cause it's just to much to learn for nothing...
and I don't think JASS will help me in rl anyway

I'm learning C++ in school and I don't wanna get confused by JASS codes

GUI is just enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.