• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The London olympics are great for everyone really... Except Londoners. As a citizen myself, I speak from experience when I express just how intense my hatred over how stupid some aspects of the 'preparations' are. Londoners are strongly advised to remain at home and not travel at all. 'Olympic Lanes' were painted onto most roads and come with heavy fines for usage, so the already dire congestion issues we faced have escalated to the point of leaving most Londoners home-bound (this is supposedly a solution to olympians arriving late to venues. I wish they'd just given vehicles transporting olympians the ability to use blue lights/sirens to pass through traffic with little effect on the rest of us).

After the scandals revolving around the selling of the Olympic tickets, it also turns out that a large amount (I've heard anywhere between 10-25%) of seats are unsold. It was also found that online ticket allocation (it was all done on a random basis. You apply and hope for the best, which is in itself silly) was prioritised to foreign buyers. Although this does come with economic benefits, it almost feels like betrayal that the regular tax payer who funded the Olympics can't even watch them.

What do you think when an event is described as "unticketed"?
The first wave of fails has arrived: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19010407

...And need I mention the horrific logo? :(
London%202012%20logo.jpg

Which happens to look like Lisa Simpson and Bart doing stuff.
Warning: Cannot be unseen
olympiclogoheader.jpg

London 2012 LOLympics. Hehehe. :(

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard about London's traffic problems even at the best of times. I do not want to imagine what it's like during the Olympics.

Londoners should have the same chance as everyone else to see the games, I should think. Ultimately, I don't think they should get priority since you have to put forth a lot of effort to actually get to host the games - it's generally a coveted honor by most nations - but nor should you get pushed to the side for everyone else.

I have no idea what "unticketed" means. Maybe that you don't have to have a ticket to see the event? That sounds like really weird wording.
And yes, the logo is terrible. Hopefully it will be manageable until it's over. :)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Oh wow, didn't even see the logo till now. That is quite... a logo.

Excited, I wouldn't say I am ecstatic for the Olympics as I was for Dark Knight Rises, but I do watch certain events. Olympic sports are always fun to watch, with all the different teams and competitions and whatnot.

Team USA! will maybe win some medals.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I do not want to imagine what it's like during the Olympics.
There's not much to imagine- It looks like a parking lot. :p

> Maybe that you don't have to have a ticket to see the event? That sounds like really weird wording.
That's what ~500 people who showed up thought too. Turns out it means the event is closed to the public.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the opening ceremony (up until it became a bit of a musical). The stuff with Rowan Atkinson and the Lord of the Rings-esque forging was pretty cool!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hmm "unticketed should mean free entry" Well, they could at least "sell a empty seats" for a small price. And Just let them in!
The London Olympics has "clearly become shameful." Don't you think so?

Fencer Shin refuses to accept 'special medal' after sit-in protest
Fencing's governing body announced that heartbroken South Korean Shin A Lam will receive 'a special medal' after she felt she was robbed of a proper one in the women's epee on Monday night.

The medal will be for 'aspiration to win and respect for the rules,' said the International Fencing Federation in a statement. But Shin said: 'It does not make me feel better because it's not an Olympic medal.
'I don't accept the result because I believe it was a mistake.'

Read Moar Here.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.