• Yes

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 94.5%

• Total voters

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
if you are going to support/show interest into the ipad, then you should be listening to reviewers.

[Youtube]anEouIbCX2c[/youtube]

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
if you are going to support/show interest into the ipad, then you should be listening to reviewers.
I'm watching the video right now, but I have read plenty of reviews, including the one by David Pogue, Edward Baig, Walt Mossberg and PC Mag. They all say it's going to be a success, and I agree with that.

I finished watching that video, I can't wait to get my hands on one -- 2 or 3 days now :)

The iPad has the A4 processor (ARM8) at 1GHz, its twice as powerful as that in the iPhone 3GS.
It also has 256MB of RAM, like the 3GS and it uses the same PowerVR SGX 535 graphics chip that is in the 3GS.

The screen real estate will allow for computer-like applications to be built, and will be great for all sorts of use.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm watching the video right now, but I have read plenty of reviews, including the one by David Pogue, Edward Baig, Walt Mossberg and PC Mag. They all say it's going to be a success, and I agree with that.

I finished watching that video, I can't wait to get my hands on one -- 2 or 3 days now :)

The iPad has the A4 processor (ARM8) at 1GHz, its twice as powerful as that in the iPhone 3GS.
It also has 256MB of RAM, like the 3GS and it uses the same PowerVR SGX 535 graphics chip that is in the 3GS.

The screen real estate will allow for computer-like applications to be built, and will be great for all sorts of use.

If your going to use it to browse sites/pages it's going to be a lot faster than your laptop browser and iphone/ipod touch [as you saw in the video(s)] all the apps run faster than the iphone I have. Youtube videos work well with HD quality (used NetFlix too) the battery hasn't died on me while using it for a day (usually gets to 59% or so) I just hoping for more web development tools like html editor/ftp/css app and I might consider it as a mobile site debugger for html5 and all iphone/ipod touch/ipad users for my sites. The only thing that's not keeping me from selling it is the potential it has as a nice debugger and software testing for my developments. The speakers and mic are nice, really loud and a good mic for skype calls. I don't mind using it as a ipod as well but just laying it on a table to do my work rather than taking it around (zune/iphone) are much more portable. Pandora Radio is usually what i'm using to save as much space as I can on it. So if your willing to spend the money for a nice browser size viewer, movie watcher, music listening, and a game device it's not bad deal, can't say much about the kindle comparison, don't know much about E-Paper or whatever they call it, I have some free books i'm just speed reading and a few comics from Marvel Comics which I think is really neat app. Yes all this can probably work on a iphone or ipod touch but it really depends on the screensize comparison, would you rather watch a movie on a small screen or a descent one? (same thing with games/website/etc). There are some apps that seem pointless on the ipad and some that feel pointless on the iphone...it really depends on what your seeking out of the app. I think as the ipad as a nice HD dvd movie player with a browser,games, and a few "gadgets" for about 500$ and that's pretty descent comparing how much portable movie players cost. (and I haven't seen something that can play videos with that good quality on the go) My laptop plays blueray videos but it only lasts for 2 hours and its bulky (18.4 inch monitor) and still only plays it at 720p so i rather just take the ipad to view my movies and keep the laptop at home for my home theater (hdmi output). It doesn't replace a laptop and a laptop doesn't replace it, if you have the iphone/ipod touch and you like it's apps and features, that's good, if you need a little more "space" for your viewing than get the iPad. I don't know anything about the 3Gs service since all the places I go have wi-fi and I don't fell like spending more money on my at&t service than what I have. Overall this what I give the iPad

4stars.png
Movie Watching: 4/5
3stars.png
Games: 3/5 (needs more time)
2stars.png
Reading: 2/5 (kind of hard to take outside and read...indoors ok)
4stars.png
Browsing: 4/5 (needs flash support, or more html5 support)
5stars.png
Apps: 5/5 (all apps work on ipad either iphone/ipod touch or ipad versions)
1stars.png
Music Player: 1/5 (just don't try it as a portable player, use another portable music device)
Overall: 18/25

That pretty much sums up what I think of it so far, from a non-mac user side of view.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Sounds good, how do you find holding it? Is it too heavy to hold for long periods with one hand or two hands in landscape and portrait?
Also out of curiosity how does it feel? Good to hold in the hand?

ReVolver

Reaction score
Sounds good, how do you find holding it? Is it too heavy to hold for long periods with one hand or two hands in landscape and portrait?
Also out of curiosity how does it feel? Good to hold in the hand?

It's got a good weight and usually i have it around my arms like a binder or a notebook and it doesn't feel like it's a problem for me hold it all day while walking. I usually have it on my laps to watch a video or I have it on a table/desk. I have hold it to plays games for several hours so its not problem with holding it naturally. I haven't used one hand that often only for a couple of minutes. I don't know how it feels w/o the case (since I bought one) but it feels really good to hold it with the case, no problem there. Pretty much the weight feels like a 100 or so paged notebook.

Lambda_drive

Reaction score
At first I thought that the ipad was pretty stupid, but being able to hold Revolver's ipad in my hand it's actually not as bad as I thought. Sure it's just an oversized iphone, but just by having a bigger screen it's versatility went up a lot. It's kind of like a swiss army knife. It can do a lot of things decently, but it's not really a master at anything, but when you buy a swiss army knife your not expecting it to be more than what it is.

The ipad is a pretty handy little gadget, When I was driving around with Revolver yesterday we wanted to go to a wendy's, which is the White Castle of the west coast ;), to get some burgers but we weren't sure which one was the closest to us. So I said, "quick find me the closest wendy's to our location" and revolver took out the ipad when we were at a stoplight, found a wifi point and had a map of all the wendy's in our location before the stoplight turned green.

Not too shabby. It did help that we were in the downtown part of our city so there were a lot of shops around us with open hotspots. The ipad has a decent wifi chip but it's range is pretty mediocre. With my laptop I can see 20 different wifi connections but with the ipad only 3 show up. Like I said, it's decent at a lot of things, but it's not a master at anything.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Wendys+WhiteCastle+BurgerKing+McDonalds+KFC is the White Castle of the east coast ;)

lol

But is it worth $500?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
If you want the slate form factor, then yes.

These are two competitors of the iPad:
HP slate and the Gemini slate

I think they will both fail, for similar reasons. The HP & Gemini slate have 16:9 ratios, great for movies but not so much for anything else.
The HP slate's battery life is poor, up to 5 hours with Windows really means < 3 hours doing anything intensive.

The Gemini slate doesn't list battery life, with it's much higher power usage I'm guessing it's ~5 hours watching video, but also another thing they don't mention is weight, which is likely to be ~2 pounds or more. I'd say the Gemini slate would be great if its battery could last 10 hours, the device not overheat, and be as light as the iPad, and somehow make the 16:9 ratio work, but thats not possible IMO.

ReVolver

Reaction score
At first I thought that the ipad was pretty stupid, but being able to hold Revolver's ipad in my hand it's actually not as bad as I thought. Sure it's just an oversized iphone, but just by having a bigger screen it's versatility went up a lot. It's kind of like a swiss army knife. It can do a lot of things decently, but it's not really a master at anything, but when you buy a swiss army knife your not expecting it to be more than what it is.

The ipad is a pretty handy little gadget, When I was driving around with Revolver yesterday we wanted to go to a wendy's, which is the White Castle of the west coast ;), to get some burgers but we weren't sure which one was the closest to us. So I said, "quick find me the closest wendy's to our location" and revolver took out the ipad when we were at a stoplight, found a wifi point and had a map of all the wendy's in our location before the stoplight turned green.

Not too shabby. It did help that we were in the downtown part of our city so there were a lot of shops around us with open hotspots. The ipad has a decent wifi chip but it's range is pretty mediocre. With my laptop I can see 20 different wifi connections but with the ipad only 3 show up. Like I said, it's decent at a lot of things, but it's not a master at anything.

Lol the adventures of Harald and Efren go to white castle xD yea it's a nice little device to mess around with like you said "a Swiss army knife" it could do many things but don't expect it to be your only tool to have around.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Mine arrived to day, earlier than expected. I'm thoroughly impressed and having a ball.
I've bought brushes, real racing, uno, nova, adrenaline golf, man it's impressive.

Noticed little bugs here and there, for example zooming in all the way at Apple.com in the customise section of say, the iMac it is jittery etc...

Pretty impressive for initial release, can't wait til the updates and particularly the OS 4.0 preview.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]<object width="1300" height="765"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1300" height="765"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Will it blend? That is the question.

Don't cry you lovers.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ReVolver

Reaction score
Just an update on emulation and gaming, here's a video of the iPad playing Super Mario Kart, I'm really hoping for a bluetooth controller that would sync to play, like the Wiimote

[YOUTUBE]P3J0cMAwHUo[/YOUTUBE]

Seprest

Reaction score
It's because the iPhone is a success that not many people will spend $500 for another similiar thing with a bigger screen.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
This isn't as big of a deal as it's being made out to be (it's not like your credit card info is retrievable). The compromised information consists only of up to 114,000 iPad 3G user's email addresses, and their ICC-ID.
ICC-ID stands for integrated circuit card identifier and is used to identify the SIM cards that associate a mobile device with a particular subscriber.
The Gizmodo Article.

It isn't Apple's fault. The hacker exploited vulnerabilities in AT&T's server, which has been fixed. Albeit, no one wants their e-mails being sold to spam, but it's not your credit card info.
Also, this is very bad press for Apple, since no doubt every news article is going to be coming out with something like "Apple's worst security breach" or "iPad hacked, private info stolen".

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
I finally played with one. Nice, but damn that thing is heavy. Some applications preloaded are very interesting, some are better executed on the iPod Touch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.