Are you Goth?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Oh, lol :p Sorry, then :eek:

Grah, I'm not as angry, now, but I am still furious at these people. I'll NEVER join that church, or any with coinciding beliefs -_-

Ha, lol, at one point the pope was more poweful than the king (because, of course, he could (and occasionally followd through) threaten them with ex - whatever it was :p Excommunication, that's it. As if one man really has the power to say, "You are no longer holy. God, our (just, wise, and loving) Lord no longer likes you! Be gone, foul beast, unless you can redeem yourself through currency and favors!" . . . UM? And what about selling indulgences -_- Here, for 1000 dollars, you too can buy your way into heavan! (all applicable taxes apply)

List of Gothic people or things:

~Star Wars (instead of god, we have this Force nonsense, and the dark side triumphs through all but the last movie)

~Most sci-fi movies and series like Star Trek (what happens to Armageddon, huh? The human race isn't wiped out in THOSE movies, nor is it alone. And science is the BASE of those movies)

~Pretty much all non-Christian monks (no matter how nice, good, and caring they are, no matter how much they long for good, world peace, and inner balance)

~All movie/pop stars, period. Quite a lot of sports stars.

~Everyone who doesn't IMMEDIATELY [pick up the phone and] reform! (fees do apply; hey, it isn't like they love you THAT much!) I sense over 90% of the world, including some devout Christians (Christianity isn't even the majority percentage, is it?! So over 90% of the world is damned to hell, apparently)

~Video games, video gamers, and video game makers (even sports ones ~~~ haven't you see how violently mangled the players get? But then, I thought sports were NON-gothic activities ... hmmmm). Apparently, trying in the only way you know how to bring fun and enjoyment on a large scale to the general public is now a Gothic Sin)

~EVERYBODY, really, because even THEY studied science in school, I'll bet. THEY were probably Gothic because of that. Isn't pretty much EVERYBODY Gothic?

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Yup, the world is one big gothic paradise, according to this.

By the way, reading more closely, I noticed Silverhawk say something about expecting this from the SOUTH?

Why? :p

North eastern America was where it all began, and that's where the Puritan settled. Hell, I'm sure it's STILL vaguely Puritan (Puritans are very VERY devout Christians. Read The Crucible for more information about them) so I'd expect this from rich, white North Eastern Americans :)

Just a little fact for your day ;)

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of those are way OFF!

The only definition of "gothic" is claiming themselves to be "gothic". Don't these people know that being "gothic" is a CONCEPT?

But I must say, this is my favorite of those you pointed out.

-Eats goth-related foods. Count Dracula cereal is an example of this.

ROFL

I also like the excessive or little sleep. Man, doesn't every father express the latter if they work like an average citizen (who does do work and doesn't sit on the couch at home all day eating junk food)? You pointed out the same, my father stays up to like 2 am in the morning working on his programming and wakes up every day at 6 am to get started on his programming and take my siblings to school! My mom sleeps all day and trust me, she doesn't follow any of the gothic stereotypes >_>

----------------

According to this, I am gothic too! I wear rock band t-shirts...of christian bands. I wear black clothes some of the time, too! Doesn't everyone who doesn't really give a crap about what color they wear?

Sargon

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Yup, the world is one big gothic paradise, according to this.

By the way, reading more closely, I noticed Silverhawk say something about expecting this from the SOUTH?

Why? :p

North eastern America was where it all began, and that's where the Puritan settled. Hell, I'm sure it's STILL vaguely Puritan (Puritans are very VERY devout Christians. Read The Crucible for more information about them) so I'd expect this from rich, white North Eastern Americans :)

Just a little fact for your day ;)

New England isn't very Puritan anymore. It hasn't been for a good while, too. This sort of list is generally from the more southern or western parts of the country.

Malice-

Endlessly Known
Reaction score
This makes me feel disgraced to be a christian lol... Nah I can believe in god and read the bible on my own time but jesus CHRIST this is why I don't go to church.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Shadowy Fear said:
I am just geniuly furious at these people. How could they POSSIBLY group philosophy and science (?) in the same LIST as Satanism and Pagism, let alone right next to each other!?

According to this list, I am a Gothic.

I expect over 80% of the world is, too. Wow, no wonder these freaks are so desperate . . . (they are plainly listing the sins of all life, not just Gothic symptons; what kind of Goth spends his time thinking of philosophy or school? There have been a few teachers I hated. And what the f*c* does sleeping have to do with being Gothic? :confused: :confused: :confused: Apparently I should tell my parents to contact 'my local mental health center' immediately! I can feel the Devil stirring within me -_- They must be very desperate at the way society has turned, and obviously think they can reverse it by sending out such idootic messages) GRAH! Such stupidity. . . it is good that a.) these people are nuns and priests, and therefore cannot add their harmful genes to the human genome pool, and b.) are safely kept in monastaries and nunneries, thus keeping them out of the way of society.

So we would have been better off without Newton and Einstien (Einstien was, btw, a very firm supporter in Jews, and donated/contributed/supported extensively Jews and other various factions)? Without Shakespeare, Neil Armstrong, Bill Gates, Christopher Columbus? And how is Buddhism a cult religion! It's hardly even a religion (no offense to any Buddhists reading this); it's more of a state of mind and life that practices peace and inner balance.

Do they have wars over Buddhism?

No.

Do they have wars over Christianity (and even AMONG Christians?!)?

Yes.

Does Buddha subconciously command his followers to attempt to slaughter all non-belivers and make miserable the lives of the rest (No offense to Christians reading this, either, I am 1.) venting my anger and 2.) overgeneralizing on some ... past disputes in history)?

No.

Do Christians? (think of the Protestant>=<Catholic wars, the bloodshed, the conflicts between them and Muslims, even today [Madrid bombings, very recent London bombings, of course 9-11, and so many other attacks])

Yes.

This is just pissing me off so much; I could (and did) laugh at the rest, but these fanatical nuts are trying to put limits on society that it just can't take, and are carelessly slandering some of the most important aspects of society.

I would like some other opinions here, as well, to see if I am alone in my thinking (seething rage) or not (probably am; I am quite the amateur philosopher - I do quite a lot of thinking about matters - and science is pretty much what I am preparing my life for)

This (the paper on gothics) is a very bad example of christiandom. Nothing is wrong with the Christian's absolutes--it's just when you're making crappy absolutes like "cannot wear band t-shirts" :D

We do accept wars.

I'd also like to point out that Islamic and Buddhism and whatnot do not promote fighting out right and neither does christiandom. They all promote fighting back under the worst circumstances.

Problem is, and this gives a bad name to all the religions (making science seem all the more amazing when it really isn't), is that when you have this crazy dictator who picks up a popular religious book and figures he'll arouse fame for himself among fanatics and then from there on build a nation of fear for the dictator. Isn't that somewhat what Osama and Saddam did? Isn't that what Venice way back when did to christiandom?

DM Cross

Reaction score
Oh my, you think Christianity has been given a bad name? Think of just about ANY Pagan religion, dude.

Hell, Christians tried, and did a pretty damn good job at it, too, to burn these religions down, by burning the people who were a part of them at the stake. And they might have succeeded, had they not lost sight of the goal. They gave into superstition. Again, read The Crucible. For those of you wondering, it's about the Salem Witch Trials. A group of girls were found dancing in the woods in a Puritan town and claimed to be bewitched, to avoid punishment. They blamed women they had a grudge against as the Witches bewitching them. All these people were hung, even elderly devout Christians. Hell, the girls even turned on the court when they began to doubt what they were doing.

No offense, but with a history like that, Christianity deserves a relatively bad name. But not JUST Christianity. Even religion has it's black sheep.

Sargon

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
Problem is, and this gives a bad name to all the religions (making science seem all the more amazing when it really isn't), is that when you have this crazy dictator who picks up a popular religious book and figures he'll arouse fame for himself among fanatics and then from there on build a nation of fear for the dictator. Isn't that somewhat what Osama and Saddam did? Isn't that what Venice way back when did to christiandom?

You forgot the Spanish Inquisition.

Saddam Hussein didn't really do anything of the sort. He was a criminal, for sure, but not a very religious one. In any rate, the extreme fringe of any religion always manages to give the rest of them a bad name.

One other thing, what does science have to do with this?

DM Cross

Reaction score
The newsletter claims that the study of science is satanic, Sarg :p

Insanity, is it not?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Truly amusing, I think.

Nothing's wrong with the study of science; it's the "new" system that we state theories are "true and totally backed up" that is wrong.

"Saddam Hussein didn't really do anything of the sort. He was a criminal, for sure, but not a very religious one. In any rate, the extreme fringe of any religion always manages to give the rest of them a bad name."

If I'm correct, he has/had (rofl if it's "had") reporters that spread lies and attempted to say that Saddam was fighting a holy war and therefore should be helped. I don't think it worked as well as it did with Osama, though.

"You forgot the Spanish Inquisition."

Sorry, I didn't make it my mission to recall EVERY "holy" war (dang that phrase is so oxymoronic) :)

----------

Dang it, the Salem Witch Trials and the Crusade are the two examples of why Christiandom has been given a bad name.

The only error I see here is "killing someone in the name of God", which is a piece of crap oxymoronic statement. God, for goodness sake, says "thou shalt NOT murder". His book, in no lines, says that killing is right in ANY regard. Just because people have made mistakes or were wolves in sheeps clothing in the first place does not mean that Christianity is bunk.

Sargon

Reaction score
Alexander said:
The newsletter claims that the study of science is satanic, Sarg :p

Insanity, is it not?

Wait, so they're trying to say that being a chemist for a fertilizer company is satanic? How is making fertilizer satanic?

For that matter, how is a chocolatey breakfast cereal satanic? Do these people seriously believe that?

DM Cross

Reaction score
I certainly hope not.

Anyone think it's funny that we're seriously discussing a funny document that was made to be serious, in a funny forum? :D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Yes! :D

Sargon

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
Truly amusing, I think.

Nothing's wrong with the study of science; it's the "new" system that we state theories are "true and totally backed up" that is wrong.

"Saddam Hussein didn't really do anything of the sort. He was a criminal, for sure, but not a very religious one. In any rate, the extreme fringe of any religion always manages to give the rest of them a bad name."

If I'm correct, he has/had (rofl if it's "had") reporters that spread lies and attempted to say that Saddam was fighting a holy war and therefore should be helped. I don't think it worked as well as it did with Osama, though.

You do make a good point with Hussein there.

I doubt that anyone you've heard call a theory "totally backed up" is a good scientist, or, if they're not a scientist, has a very good grasp of how science works. Basically, we can't have a theory that's totally backed up because scientific theories are too big and we're only human. It's impossible.

Alexander: People who take themselves too seriously are definitely very funny. Including us, probably.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder which of these apply to me! :D Let's see, shall we? ;)

-Frequently wears black clothing.

Yup, I do. But mainly so people don't whine and complain that my colors don't match, or my whites aren't bright enough. Black is just easier to get by with.

-Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include: reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.

I'm a devout Wiccan, and damn proud of it! I respect my chosen path enough to wear the Pentacle around my neck. However, I also wear a cross, believe it or not. It once belonged to a close friend of mine who has passed away since, but I wear it to remember him.

-Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.

Hell, yeah, I want tattoos! Plan to get turned into a work of art when I'm legal to not have to have my parents sign for it.

-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)

I listen to music that expresses how I feel most of the time, or that I can relate to. That makes me goth? Oh man, I'm in trouble.

-Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.

Lol, well my friends and I are "Vampires", so I guess this counts, huh?

-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.

Can't play sports due to a lasting knee injury and natuarlly I don't go to a church I don't believe in. Needless to say, there's very few Wiccan churches (not that we call them churchs, anyway)

-Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic, the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.

Again, Wiccan and Vampire apply to me. Neither have anything to do with Satan. As a Wiccan, I don't really believe in God OR Satan. Or any "evil" being. I joke about it, sure, but I don't believe it for real. As for the Vampire thing, that's a personal thing. Vampires, in my opinion, express power and seductive energy.

-Takes drugs.

This used to apply to me, but not anymore.

-Drinks alcohol.

Hey, I'm 16. Every kid drinks as a teenager, regardless of the fact that the legal age is 21! Hell, my sister started drinking when she was 14.

-Is suicidal and/or depressed.

Not anymore, there's no need to be nowadays!

-Complains of boredom.

Damn it, this list is boring me.

Oh... Shit -.- nevermind!

-Sleeps too excessively or too little.

I'm an insomniac by heritage, that's being held against me? What about forgiveness here?!

-Is excessively awake during the night.

Read above.

-Dislikes sunlight or any other form of light. (This pertains to vampires promoting the idea that His light is of no use.)

I just happen to be very into computers, so I'm not as outdoorsy as everyone else may be. Hey, just because my hobbies aren't your hobbies, I'm a goth?! Wow, that's stereotypical.

-Demands an unusual amount of privacy.

I think we all do, at least a bit.

-Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult.

What sane teenager wants their annoying old embaressing parents around?

-Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and elders are but a few examples of this.

Well if some of them weren't such pricks, I wouldn't disregard them.

-Misbehaves at school.

Read above.

-Misbehaves at home.

Read 2 up.

-Eats goth-related foods. Count Dracula cereal is an example of this.

Um, I eat what I enjoy eating. I hope I'm not goth now for that?

-Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood. (Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)

I explained this above somewhere.

-Plays videos games that contains violence or are of a role-playing nature.

Video games don't teach you violence. A father who throws you through a glass door teaches you violence. Having to fight at school just to walk home teaches you violences. Living in a town where walking around requires a knife in your pocket teaches violences. The games keep me away from all that, so I think, if anything, the games are my savior from violence.

-Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer.

Explained this above.

-Makes Satanic symbols and/or violently shakes head to music.

If a song hypes me up, I headbang to it. It's just to move, instead of just standing there, with all that pent up energy! Isn't that bad for you, anyway?

-Expresses an interest in sex.
I'm an animal, I'm allowed my instincts, damn it!

-Masturbates

Uh... Um... Yeah, next question?

-Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism.

I'm Wicca, but it's not a cult religion as I've explained above.

Well, I'm going to Hell! :D

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Rinpun said:
it's just when you're making crappy absolutes like "cannot wear band t-shirts"

That is because in John 1:73 it clearly states, "And for he who gave his band t-shirt to his brother, he would be rewarded with a thousand pigs" - Clearly meaning, take your band t-shirt off, or burn in the depths of bloody Hell with Satan and Michael Jackson.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Well, this has been interesting...

Two things two say...

Shadowy Fear said:
What media source ISN'T corrupted?! OH, I KNOW, THE BIBLE! That's all I got . . .

Actually, you'll find the Bible is quite corrupt. I don't really feel like going into detail, but there are several reasons why this is true. Here's a few.

1. Much of the Old Testament was originally passed by word of mouth, meaning it got exaggerated and changed and such. Ever played the game "telephone"?

2. The are four Gospels in the Bible. (For those who don't know, the Gospels are the story of Jesus' life.) These were selected by officials from well over 80, because of the way they portrayed Jesus. Read the Da Vinci Code. :D

Anyway...

About my comment about the South, I said that because states like Alabama, Mississippi, etc. have a reputation for believing religion = LAW. Think of incidents like the Ten Commandments being displayed and the dispute about it with the Supreme Court.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Sorry, Rinpun, I wasn't trying to slander Christiantity, Christians, or you. I am just outright furious at these people (I usually try and control my feelings on the net, but this is just too much, and I got carried away) I apologize for my prior outbursts.

Heh, Alex, remember our maping projects? :D I think that definately qualifies as some of those Pagan evil things ;)

Lol, let's not forget ANY Inquisition ;) But ya, I overgeneralized, and for that I apologize.

(I still am not trying to offend anybody, and apologize gravely in advance for anyone I do offend)
These people are more like the pre-Reformation Catholics who sold indulgences, outcasted non-believers, were unwilling to change their beliefs, etc. They aren't really like Christians to think so negatively, ignorantly, oxymoronishly, and unconclusively.

By killing in the name of God, I meant the Inquisiton, mostly, where both Catholics and Protestants killed, torchered, and abused the others. I REALLY don't want to get into a religious fight here, so I'll just end with that and try and take this whole thing more lightly :)

LOL! Count Dracula cerial? I guess 7-year-olds can be Gothics too :D

Hmm, the Gothic term originally came from an architechtural style applied to Christian Churches. How it got so convulted, I do not know . . .

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Ye I had two girls in my school last year... One came everyday with pins everywhere on her sweater.. the other 1 came with them on her ears..

Every time at break, you'd see them hiding (bad hiders Lol:p) and pocking each other.. and by poking I mean poking as hard as going through flesh..

By the way.. They wore black cloth, pink lips, Black hair, some hair highlight..

Once during class. A guy told me that that girl (the one with the pin earing)
Stapled her finger.. I mean like right on the nail!!..
And she said it felt good.. and thats true.. every1 saw (except me :()

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
That is because in John 1:73 it clearly states, "And for he who gave his band t-shirt to his brother, he would be rewarded with a thousand pigs" - Clearly meaning, take your band t-shirt off, or burn in the depths of bloody Hell with Satan and Michael Jackson.

ROFL

SilverHawk said:
Well, this has been interesting...

Two things two say...

Actually, you'll find the Bible is quite corrupt. I don't really feel like going into detail, but there are several reasons why this is true. Here's a few.

1. Much of the Old Testament was originally passed by word of mouth, meaning it got exaggerated and changed and such. Ever played the game "telephone"?

2. The are four Gospels in the Bible. (For those who don't know, the Gospels are the story of Jesus' life.) These were selected by officials from well over 80, because of the way they portrayed Jesus. Read the Da Vinci Code. :D

Anyway...

About my comment about the South, I said that because states like Alabama, Mississippi, etc. have a reputation for believing religion = LAW. Think of incidents like the Ten Commandments being displayed and the dispute about it with the Supreme Court.

Wow, that's the craziest statement I've ever read from you Silverhawk! :eek:

1) Don't you know that the Bible itself (and I believe the Jews might admit the claiming part) says that the disciples received the holy spirit and the prophetic dreams with which they wrote the stories of the Bible (obviously the secular guys would say this is a claim but, as a religious person, I am willing to believe it for much more stable truths the Bible has to offer). It was NOT a "word of mouth". This is something that was written by scribes from its origin!

2) Wow, you read too many fictional articles. The Gospels were written by the disciples to portray Jesus's life. There were not any more written than were put in the Bible beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.