Are you Goth?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargon

Reaction score
First of all, I wouldn't rely very much on claptrap novels like The da Vinci Code. Second, the Bible, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, have been translated tons and tons and tons of times. You lose things in translation. So it has been corrupted through translations, but it's not really corrupt persay. It's just a certain amount inaccurate, as opposed to how it was a few thousand years ago.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
ATTENTION!

Please be on the lookout for serious conversation in a humorous thread about some guy who made a newsletter saying chocolate cereal is now the work of Satan! Please remember that this is not a discussion of religious history, or the flaws of any religion, but merely to point out that some people are stupid and do not have the brain to research before they open their ignorant mouths!

SII (Stupid Ignorant Idiots) Inc. thanks you for being on the lookout for this dangerous lack of a sense of humor!​

:D

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Rinpun said:
Wow, that's the craziest statement I've ever read from you Silverhawk! :eek:

1) Don't you know that the Bible itself (and I believe the Jews might admit the claiming part) says that the disciples received the holy spirit and the prophetic dreams with which they wrote the stories of the Bible (obviously the secular guys would say this is a claim but, as a religious person, I am willing to believe it for much more stable truths the Bible has to offer). It was NOT a "word of mouth". This is something that was written by scribes from its origin!

2) Wow, you read too many fictional articles. The Gospels were written by the disciples to portray Jesus's life. There were not any more written than were put in the Bible beforehand.

Well, that's only partly true.

1) That's only true of the prophetic books. There are several others, like Genesis and such. Those were passed down by word of mouth.

2. That's right, they never were put in the Bible. But, they were written. I think (not sure though) that the unincluded ones are kept in the Vatican Archives.

Yes, I realize that The Da Vinci Code is only fiction. I was simply recommending it, while on the subject.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
1) Where does the Bible say that Genesis was passed down by word of mouth?

2) Really? I mean to suggest that ALL of the gospels written were ALL thrown into the Bible. Every disciple contributed their own refined portion. If there were any others, they'd be rough drafts that would have been destroyed nearly two thousand years ago.

Do you realize that since everything was on scribes back then that the whole mention of things against Christianity would have been passed by word of mouth, too? That is, if someone made a rumor about lost books and et cetera, it would have to be back then in order to be fully reasonable, since the past isn't the present. Of course, the most reasonable way to pass this rumor about is by word of mouth, no? Scribes back then only worked on truly important documents that usually support each other or act alone.

---

All that aside, is it even possible to state Genesis by word of mouth? I do believe God would have given the disciples a vision and have them write it in the bible, instead of hearing from some random neighbor "oh, in the beginning, there was nothing, and God created the world! Somehow my great times 3000 grandfather was alive to witness that and pass it down via descendants...."

---

I mainly just disagree with Genesis being passed by word of mouth. I have reason to believe that stories like Esther and Joab were passed by word of mouth. But I also have reason to believe that because both stories are highly realistic without any crappy movie-sounding plot-device in them, there was no real corruption from the some centuries beforehand, if you know what I mean. Esther foiled a plot on the Jews by a Persian King's (who does seem to show up in the history books...) righthand man. Joab had the casual thing happen to him that happens to quite a few humans, he lost everything he owned, even his family. And yet through all that trouble he did not take it against the Lord.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but isn't our year (2005) based off when Christ died? Since it's considered 2005 A.D. right?

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
. . . . . . No, it's based off of Micheal Jackson's birthdate . . . NO! WAIT! ITS THE CONSTRUCTION OF STONEHENGE!

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
This is probably a stupid question, but isn't our year (2005) based off when Christ died? Since it's considered 2005 A.D. right?

A.D. = Anno Domini = In The Year of Our Lord

1) If my memory serves me correctly, everything in the Bible was passed down by word of mouth until David's rule. He had it all written down.

2) A few years ago there was a cave found somewhere in Israel with several "lost Gospels". There were definitely far more than four. I'll see if I can find a link about it.

-Edit-

It seems I need to brush up on my history a bit...

They're called the Dead Sea Scrolls, and they were discovered in 1947. Google it and you'll find plenty.

Sargon

Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:

No. It's from the date of Christ's birth. Actually, the church officials who figured it out sometime in the 600's or something were a bit off, but I can't remember exactly how much. But anyway, it's supposed to be based off of the birth of Christ.

Sargon

Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
So Christ was born exactly 2005 years ago?

I think it was more like 2012 years ago, since the monks or whoever got the date wrong, but when it's that far back, it doesn't really matter, so yeah.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Of course not :p (although the church might like to think differently). For one, it wasn't completely an acccurate measurement to begin with. The 'year' concept has been messed with several times, and was different then (Julius Casear switched to the 364 and 1/4 days year or whatever it was, but added another like +100 days to the current year to make up for it; it was called the Year of Confusion if I remember correctly :))

Of course, when I invent a time machine and journey back to that time, we will be able to accurately measure the 'AD Years' concept, but until then, we will just do with a relatively accurate estimate :)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
But our whole timeline on years is absed off when he was born right? That's my whole question. :p

And thanks for allt he info!

Sargon

Reaction score
Shadowy Fear said:
Of course not :p (although the church might like to think differently). For one, it wasn't completely an acccurate measurement to begin with. The 'year' concept has been messed with several times, and was different then (Julius Casear switched to the 364 and 1/4 days year or whatever it was, but added another like +100 days to the current year to make up for it; it was called the Year of Confusion if I remember correctly :))

Of course, when I invent a time machine and journey back to that time, we will be able to accurately measure the 'AD Years' concept, but until then, we will just do with a relatively accurate estimate :)

Well, they worked through all the corrections when they tried to figure out his birth year, and they still were off by a bit. But it's accurate within a few years, so they did a pretty good job. Also, Julius Caesar lived over 500 years before the Church tried to fix the date of Christ's birth, so they would have had plenty of time to adjust.

But yeah, it is based off of his birth.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
SilverHawk said:
A.D. = Anno Domini = In The Year of Our Lord

1) If my memory serves me correctly, everything in the Bible was passed down by word of mouth until David's rule. He had it all written down.

2) A few years ago there was a cave found somewhere in Israel with several "lost Gospels". There were definitely far more than four. I'll see if I can find a link about it.

-Edit-

It seems I need to brush up on my history a bit...

They're called the Dead Sea Scrolls, and they were discovered in 1947. Google it and you'll find plenty.

1) Uh...I'd like to brush you up on quite a few points :)

a) MOSES wrote the first five books of the bible during his 40 years in the wilderness before his death. He really had nothing better to do :D Know what this means? It means that David was most definitely not the first to start writing books of the Bible. The accuracy of the first five books, particularly the later four, is high since quite a good amount of it was what Moses lived through and what laws God had to say and all that.

b) My Dad, who is an avid user of Google among a "bible-belt" as you guys might want to put it, has informed me of his explanation for this matter. There are two different ways to pass down by "word-of-mouth". It's the exact same as literature...don't make the stereotype that since literature isn't in people's minds but rather on paper it is more stable.

b1) Story-telling. This is what you guys seem to fully associate "word-of-mouth" with. When some guys get around a fire and one guy decides to tell some stories, though he may know the full version from his origin, he will change the story a bit to hone it in on his audience, obviously. Suddenly a historical figure would be made out to be like an idiot, if the storyteller's audience would like idiotic humor and the like.

b2) Heirloom story. Some stories are just so important that you don't want to twist them and corrode them. You pass them down to your descendants carefully making sure to not disrupt its meaning. That is how Genesis was passed down and the book itself would clearly have arised when God would have contacted Moses and his Jews' ancestors, perhaps all the way back to Abraham, who knows?

My friend, it's the comparison between the fisherman's tale and a tale such as Cain and Abel, which you must admit sounds realistic.

2) I still don't know what you're talking about. The Dead Sea Scrolls, which give us a glimpse once more into Jerusalem's deep history, are all books from the Jerusalem Bible, which is all Old Testament. They don't even bother to portray Jesus! They do, however, vividly act as some old Hebrew texts, such as untranslated Isaiah.

P

Pimp_Chris

Satan followers

This is a web of satan followers

Satan These are true facts.
|
Barney
|
|
/ \
osama Sudam
| |
| |
Teletubbys Rollie polly olie
\ /
\ /
Dragon Tales Characters

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Ha, lets not forget:

Confucious

J.K. Rowling

George Lucas

Pretty much all medieval Europe kings ...

Mr. Quaker Oatmeal

Pretty much all cartoons ...

Pretty much all teenagers ...

Pretty much everybody who takes a science class (escept for the teachers who teach it :confused: )

My dog

Me

George Bush

Abe Lincoln

The gov't --- that's right, the mailman who brings you mail is Goth!

Ancient chapel architects (they are the ones who originally started Goth --- isn't it ironic that the Gothic term originally came from a CHRISTIAN CATHEDRAL BUILDING STYLE!?)

All popular bands nowadays, even religious ones like Switchfoot

Can anybody find out the website this was originally posted it? I don't mean the original review, I mean the actual site where this originated.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Maybe I can...

DM Cross

Reaction score
(Sorry for the double post)

one of my friends joined this group on myspace "MASS DEBATORS" and someone posted this for a bulletin...thought it was too funny

I guess if you want to search Myspace for MASS DEBATORS, you'll find it :p

ROFL, it was originally on a myspace site... My respect for these people dwindles into the night...

Sargon

Reaction score
Myspace, eh? I smell a hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.