Art of Battle

keychup

Reaction score
I've been working on this one for a while and it has gone through remakes many times. However I seem to be getting closer to a consistent style. The goal is somewhat becoming clearer to me.

How to play:
The game is played by 2 to 12 players divided into 2 teams.
Each player chooses an officer and must work with their teammates in order to achieve victory.
A team wins a round when no other players from other teams are left standing.
At the end of a round the next round begins with the entire team fully refreshed.
After a number rounds the team with the most number of victories wins the game.

Features:
Each hero has 2 passive abilities and 4 active moves.
Multiple heroes may share the same passive abilities.
They may also share the same moves but their different combinations give them their niche.
All moves have already been maxed out at the beginning of the game.
Some moves can be upgraded with the right equipment.
Some moves are unique to only one hero.
Upon leveling up a hero is granted 1 skill point.
Heroes that die in battle are also awarded 1 skill point.
Skill points can be spent on increasing attributes: Strength, Intelligence, or Agility.
Each of these attributes increases HP, MP, or MS by 10 respectively.
The manner in which players choose to spend these points affect the hero's performance.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Far Seer should be renamed, since he doesn't really "see" much. (Lightning Mage?)
Frost Shaman's abilities need renaming too. Too many "Ice" abilities don't sound nice together. (Hall of Crystal, Icicle Shards, Frost Shaver & Ice Wall)

If there aren't any creeps, that means that the game isn't very noob-friendly, and someone who gets a lucky kill at the start will easily own the others.

As for a goal, hero kills or level caps are the most common options.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
you could do something like what this one game i used to play does, every time someone dies, increase their stats by 10% (damage armor health mana regen speed attack speed all of it) that way even if someone gets a ton of good items, if they keep killing the same person, all of a sudden they become a force to be rekonned with regardless of how skilled they are, if you take 5 hits from someone and die but know how to kite it is a more fair match

keychup

Reaction score
Just posting to make sure no one thinks this project is abandoned. I assure you I'm still working on it.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
i would recommend looking for a main goal, i think that is what is keeping back the support for u

keychup

Reaction score
Due to recent inspirations i have decided to dash the current heroes and make a new set of heroes that will fit the purposes of the goal i have in mind

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Far Seer should be renamed, since he doesn't really "see" much.
[Seer or Seers or SEER may refer to:
Predicting the future
A clairvoyant, prophet, oracle, or diviner]
People always assume that Seer refers to actual physical see'ing; infact it actually refers to fore-seeing. Common mistake. Regardlessly, this name has no link to the Abilities. But the model is commonly associated with that name.

But then again most hero's abilities are not based on the name of the hero, I mean Blood Mage has no blood abilities or reference and he has mainly Magic effects, why not call him Arcane Mage? Names dont have to be a complete explanation of the Hero.

--

Any chance that there could be a BETA map so we could test it?

keychup

Reaction score
There will be. but alas i am only one boy and im still setting up the heroes. i will start out with the 16 default race heroes with their opriginal names. afterwhich i will be stocking up shops, then hopefully by the time i get to the terrain i will be able to be with my friend to make it. (somewhere from march-may). then after that, organization of phases, boards, etc.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
People always assume that Seer refers to actual physical see'ing; infact it actually refers to fore-seeing. Common mistake. Regardlessly, this name has no link to the Abilities. But the model is commonly associated with that name.

I'm perfectly aware that a Seer foresees things rather than just seeing them; IMO a Seer shouldn't have actual sight. The default Far Seer had Far Sight, perfectly relatable to the name, but keychup's Sight only reveals nearby units. I was thinking more along the lines of a passive granting True Sight on surrounding units, and gives vision of them for a while after they leave the area.

But then again most hero's abilities are not based on the name of the hero, I mean Blood Mage has no blood abilities or reference and he has mainly Magic effects, why not call him Arcane Mage?

The Blood Mage was one of the Blood Elves, hence the name. Several of WC3's heroes have their name basis in the campaign.

Names dont have to be a complete explanation of the Hero.
But the name can be a deciding factor in your choice of hero. At least in my case, I look at hero names, and if I think the hero's abilities will be fun based on the name, then I continue with the description.

I have a question: how limited are units in terms of movement along the spaces?

keychup

Reaction score
1 space is 100 units in distance.
An Orb of Lightning casts its own Truesight as well, the difference being it's reveal has a smaller AoE than the hero's Sight ability. Being able to move to any part of the map makes it a kind of "Far Sight" ability. Another difference is that it doubles as a snaring mechanism due to its added slow, as well as the fact that the farther away you want to see, the longer it will take for the orb to travel to that spot.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Ah, so it can move. From the description, I thought it was fixed to the target location, like a Healing Ward.

keychup

Reaction score
Hehe, double post there.
btw, i added an elemental feature. You now deal 2x damage if super effective and ½x if not very effective. I'm also going to have to adjust alot of other things.

keychup

Reaction score
Scrapped the old project and started the map from scratch. I really have to learn to be consistent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.