Sci/Tech Artificial light causing drowsiness

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
Our internal clocks are drifting out of sync, and indoor lighting may be to blame. A new study suggests that just a few days in the great outdoors puts us back in tune with the solar cycle, and reconnecting with the Sun could make us less drowsy.

Electricity has given us the freedom to choose our bedtimes; staying up after dark is as easy as flipping a light switch. But we pay a price for this luxury, says the study's leader, integrative physiologist Kenneth Wright of the University of Colorado in the US.

People with later bedtimes and wake times are exposed to more artificial light and less sunlight, he says, which means their bodies aren't getting the natural cues humans once relied on.

To understand how falling out of sync with the Sun changes our body's internal clock - or circadian rhythm - sleep researchers look to the timekeeping mechanisms in the brain, particularly how we regulate the hormone melatonin.

More: http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/8996912/Artificial-light-causing-drowsiness

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Artificial light makes me less drowsy.. On account of it being like a Sun that never sets..

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
In the summer I become like super lazy. When the sun is shining without mercy and its burning hot outside, all I want to do is lay down and take a nap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.