Sci/Tech Astronomers discover diamond-studded planet.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
London, Dec 9 : A team of astronomers, led by an Indian-origin boffin, has discovered the first carbon-rich planet, orbiting a star 1,200 light-years away, which could have an interior abundant in diamonds.

Unlike Earth, which is rich in oxygen and has much smaller quantities of carbon, the planet WASP-12b is dominated by carbon and depleted in oxygen.

The finding points to the existence of planets with compositions very different from those of our own Solar System.

The planet was originally found last year by the Wide-Angle Search for Planets (WASP) project, the UK’s leading team of planet discoverers, using the WASP telescope in La Palma funded by the Science and Technology Facilities Council.

Now Nikku Madhusudhan and colleagues of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have further observed WASP-12b with NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope and found that its atmosphere is dominated by molecules containing carbon.

“This is new territory and will motivate researchers to study what carbon-rich planets are made of”, said Madhusudhan. “Although WASP-12b is a hot, Jupiter-sized ‘gas giant’ planet that would not have a surface, smaller rock planets could also form in such planetary systems”.

-------------------------------------------

That also means, diamond prices will drop very sharply...:thup:

Last edited by a moderator:

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Gogo!
Make some planet-warping device and send two planets crashing!
We'll have both oxygen AND diamonds!

I choose to patent this idea.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
isn't diamond almost indestructible?

One would think that, but since diamond is a very stiff material it get's some vulnerabilities because of that. Not that it matter for the scale that we use diamonds now a days anyway.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
The diamond from outer space (if an easy way to transport the diamond from there to here was found) would be worth more because, it's from outer space.

And diamonds aren't the hardest physical material on earth (or space), but one of them. Destructible nonetheless.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That also means, diamond prices will drop very sharply...:thup:

I missed this the first time around, but no, the planet is the size of Jupiter and contains nearly no oxygen - how would a space ship lift off from such a planet? we can't even get a spaceship to go to mars and back, much less travel from a giant planet that is much further away

esb

Reaction score
Since some lady owns the sun, and some dude owns a few stars and planets, that means I'm going to own this planet, and all it's diamonds

esb

Reaction score
Rules of Dibs isn't a legal term! D=<

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
In that case, I get the second dibs in case you need a successor.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
I've already got my patented technology that's sending the Earth on a crash collision with Herr Diamond-studded panet here.

After the crash, who the planet belongs to won't matter <.<

esb

Reaction score
But until then, it does matter who it belongs to.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Diamonds prices aren't going to drop no matter how much diamond we get. Diamond is completely price controlled.

esb

Reaction score
Diamond prices would drop if everyone had a lot. And competition would come up with 'better deals', if there was a lot.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If there was a huge supply of diamonds, then yes, diamond prices would drop (simple supply/demand theory).

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The reason the price wouldn't drop with this discovery is because of the cost of mining it. At the moment, it's like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Okay, we know it's there. But how do we get it (cheaply)......

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Arn't you guys forgetting.... Its on another fricking planet. We aren't getting access to them anytime soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.