Discussion Attack Indexing Solved

So... today I solved attack indexing

Previously, people attempted to index attacks using debuffs. This wasn't possible because the data wasn't stored on the projectile. Thus, when the projectile would hit the unit, it would do something like fire events for the source, which would in turn add the debuff (ability is probably registered to some event).

So what data is on a projectile?

The target (x,y or unit)
The source
The damage

I was not sure about the third point, but I tested it, and certainly, the damage was stored on the projectile. Using a Bonus system, you can set the damage to some index and then, using a DDS, transform that damage into the actual damage using that index. This will mess up the UIs, sure, and it will force you to do custom armor types (you can't use vanilla warcraft 3 armor), and it will force you to do custom attack types (you can't use vanilla warcraft 3 attacks or attack types), but it will let you do custom attack types, custom armor types, and oh so much more.

I'm already wanting to do a few things with this

1. Accuracy based on distance and z-height

2. Custom armor types using an armor item whose item charge is the armor value (click it for more stats)

3. Custom attack types using weapon items whose item charges are attack values (click for more stats). Furthermore, these items each have their own cooldowns. Also, recall that some items enable units to target air. Brilliant? Yes. They can also have their own cooldowns.

There is oh so much you can do with attack indexing, it's unbelievable. This is a very good day for me : D. I have wanted to do attack indexing forever.

I'll release an attack indexing system soon. Right now I'm working on the documentation for the new DDS.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
I'll try to get your system to a broader public, so they can use and provide feedback for it.

Last edited:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
You got a feedback:

FourOranges said:
What does this mean in layman's terms? I'm reading his entire post and I can't seem to figure out what any of it means. What can you do with this?
fiqar said:
Pretty cool that there's still mapmaking innovation even after 10+ years

Last edited:

jonas

so for every projecile (e.g, attack on a unit), we need a unique amount of damage? Then this damage identifies the attack/projectile, and we can do the real damage by hand? And war3 armor does not work because it modifies the projectile damage?

yea

the unique damage is automatically assigned by the system using something like Bonus. Rather than putting a unit's stats into the object editor, you'd put them into a struct or something ^)^.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm a bit worried about the future of data science, there's an influx of incompetent people hired by incompetent managers, that can't last. But I'm sure smart data scientists will always be useful and hireable. Same as smart security people.
  • jonas jonas:
    My sister in law worked in a vegan food truck, the owners were also making a killing, added several trucks and opened two restaurants over 5 years
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The CompTIA stuff is pretty much crap unfortunately. The places that ask for those low-level certs aren't likely places you want to work. For IT you really want a degree, but in the meantime you need to figure out some way to learn the skills. Cybersecurity is really hot right now so competition is fierce.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I realized I don't have anything much to say, other than "Good luck!". Compared to other places, I'm just very lucky we didn't have a lot of surges of cases coming in.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My daughter just got back from school at Georgetown TX, outside of Austin and said there were 100 cases in the last week but she also said nobody was wearing a mask anywhere so people mask up and stay safe!
    +2
  • thewrongvine thewrongvine:
    happy thanksgiving folks!
    +1
  • Ralle Ralle:
    PLOOB
  • Varine Varine:
    @Gyah Yeah I figured they aren't particularly valuable, but they'll at the least act as a baseline for some entry level work somewhere.
  • Varine Varine:
    I now see how horribly I spelled @Ghan
  • Varine Varine:
    I had a rough morning
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that field is going to explode and though there is competition there is going to be room for all levels in the coming years imho.
    Why are we competing for rough mornings? :(
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't want to compete for that, yall can have it.
  • Varine Varine:
    @The Helper I'm trying. Once I am more prepared to be figuring out school I'll probably ask for your advice
  • Varine Varine:
    Right now I'm just trying to get through the pandemic and figure out how I'm going to pay for it, and figure out what I need to get a job at Best Buy instead of a kitchen somewhere.
    oy just catching up on the discussion above. @Varine yeah I usually alternate between claritin & zyrtec, depending on whatever my body decides to reject at the time lol
    the more I use it the less effective it gets over time as my body accustoms to it so I try to not use it every day
  • S songbird:
    Glad to see some interest in the IS3 NUON reprint. :)
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Thank you Carl for making that happen that just might be the spark we need.
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm confused and amazed that NUON and TWV's news postings are the things still active.
  • Varine Varine:
    Or Tom Mai, not TWV
  • Varine Varine:
    Whatever happened to Cheshire? Or Firecat, whatever his real name was?
  • Varine Varine:
    I've been using both claritin and fexofenadine or something like that recently alternately and that's been kinda working, I don't feel like my face is going to explode at least. Eyes are still itchy as fuck though
    I dunno, haven't seen Firecat in a long while now.
    By the way, we have new file attachment size limits now.

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop