Health Australia could become first nation to outlaw smoking

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Australia could become the first major nation to outlaw smoking, with a federal government-funded trial about to test the viability of electronic cigarettes as a safer, permanent replacement for tobacco. Medical experts, cancer groups and anti-smoking lobbyists battled for decades to rid cigarettes from public spaces.

''E-cigarettes'' are battery-powered devices that simulate the effects of smoking by heating a nicotine liquid into vapour, which the user then inhales and exhales. Electronic cigarette. While the gadgets have been hailed as a safer substitute for cigarettes, there is no comprehensive scientific research into the health risks of inhaling vapour.

The Sun-Herald can reveal that as part of its anti-smoking reform agenda, the previous Labor government committed more than $1 million to a pioneering study that, by 2015, will determine whether or not e-cigarettes could be utilised to phase out traditional cigarettes altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I mean, I can't say it's a bad idea. I wonder how well it'll go over.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say its a bad idea.
I am not a smoker, but I hate it when the government is trying to force something upon their citizens. Its a piece of freedom which these people will lose.

FireCat

Reaction score
Smoking does lead to health costs! Just saying Well, they can always test this idea!
But this doesn't mean, smoking will be outlawed!

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
I FUCKING HATE SMOKERS that smoke indoors or near gathering places like bus stops. You have no idea how awful they are to non-smokers, and they don't seem to give a shit about the people around them having to breathe in second hand smoke either. Cigarette makers should all die. They do nothing but earn big bucks by wrecking the health of others and polluting the air.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I FUCKING HATE SMOKERS that smoke indoors or near gathering places like bus stops. You have no idea how awful they are to non-smokers, and they don't seem to give a shit about the people around them having to breathe in second hand smoke either. Cigarette makers should all die. They do nothing but earn big bucks by wrecking the health of others and polluting the air.
I, too, endorse the killing of people I dont even know.
I would say that everybody who is not a friend of mine or somewhat beneficial for my personal comfort should die a horrible and painful death. This is the only fair solution to the problem at hand: the lack of violent murder in the world.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I, too, endorse the killing of people I dont even know.
I would say that everybody who is not a friend of mine or somewhat beneficial for my personal comfort should die a horrible and painful death. This is the only fair solution to the problem at hand: the lack of violent murder in the world.

Unfortunately death by second hand smoke doesn't discriminate against stupid people and politicians.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
would be lovely if they went ahead with it

although to avoid some of the backlash, they should make a law against smoking in public areas

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If they do my base jumping trip is moving elsewhere.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Well, here's another reason I'd never move to the land down under, although technically it's more like the land to the right of me. I'm assuming they already have a heavy tax on tobacco products?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I have some friends that were there hiking a little bit back and they said a pack was running 15 to 20 US dollars or some shit in most places.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
15USD for a 20 pack (I'm assuming)?. Damn, we buy ours here in South Africa for about 3 - 4 USD and out tax on tobacco is already about 300% (which is such a joke). I remember about five years back it cost about 1 USD.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
I smoke and it shits me off how many places I am not allowed to smoke now in Brisbane (QLD, AUS). You cannot smoke in the biggest street in the city, or in any of the streets that branch immediately off of it without getting a fine. You can't put a cigarette butt out anywhere without getting a fine.... It's ridiculous. AND THE PRICE OF CIGS IS over $20 AU for 40 smokes :O And that's a cheap brand...

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here in Quebec you can't smoke anywhere in public, and that's good. I was so tired of all those smokers poisoning us wherever we went, second-hand smoke is really nasty and is pretty much the same as smoking.

I totally support banning smoking altogether. The health costs it generates to the government are skyrocketing every year, those people that end up at the hospital at 60 for smoking 30+ years continue smoking even though they're dying. Each one of them dies 20 years younger than they should have, and cost several millions to the government while doing so. In fact, I would pass a law that if you are a smoker, you forfeit any right to the public Health Care system by doing so.

In fact, I would pass a law that smoking is illegal as it is as harmful as most illegal drugs.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If they got 80, 90 or even 100 years old they would cost the government too. If you talk about cost I'd say kill everybody over the age of 70 instantly.

I do not smoke. I had cigarette smoke, but this is about freedom. I want people to have the right to smoke if they want to. They should be allowed to smoke everything they fucking want to. Its their life.
Nobody asked the government to pay for their lungs, just depart them and burn them in concentration camps if you like, but give those guys the right to smoke if they want.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I would say its a bad idea.
I am not a smoker, but I hate it when the government is trying to force something upon their citizens. Its a piece of freedom which these people will lose.

while I generally agree, the government is also obligated to protect its citizens.. if granting a privilege to a minority causes suffering to others, that is where I would draw the line and say the government should step in - second hand smoke, medical costs, and even the littering that is caused by cigarette butts is a burden on everyone else needs to be weighed against the benefits that smokers receive, and I think the scales lean towards the former rather than the latter in this case.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
while I generally agree, the government is also obligated to protect its citizens.. if granting a privilege to a minority causes suffering to others, that is where I would draw the line and say the government should step in - second hand smoke, [...]
Second hand smoke is a joke. Those people are smoking for 20 years when they finally hit the grave from lung cancer. Do you think being exposed to second hand smoke for a few seconds has a big effect? Just imagine how many exhaust fumes you inhale every day from the millions of cars driving around town. Just imagine all the fumes from the coal power plants. And what other toxic waste we are all exposed to in our everyday life.
Second hand smoke is a joke compared to that. Nobody forces you to go into their houses, and many places are already smoke free.

[...] medical costs, [...]
Just screw those people. Let them die and dont give a shit.

[...] and even the littering that is caused by cigarette butts is a burden on everyone else [...]
Should the government forbid the use of any plastic packaging because some people litter? This is how we do law now?
"...but this guy there is littering!" => *Punish everybody!*

This is ridiculous. Its like some kind of your personal crusade against smokers. If you hate them so much then set their houses on fire but dont try to abuse the law for this purpose!
Policeman are already working hard enough to clobber homeless people and <that word I am not allowed to use here because I get banned if I do>

FireCat

Reaction score
Just screw those people. Let them die and dont give a shit.
Then you would become a heartless fucker! Well, some people they still don't know what it does or even what it means. And I don't agree that people smoke, take drugs! But they're still human beings. We should blame drug dealers and cigarette makers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.