Authentication tools for the Nuon

gameblabla

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
So i tried to get further so we could eventually boot homebrew games on DVD and earlier units like the Toshiba SD3200 which is a bit more common than the Samsungs units.

Anyway, while i made a bit more progress, i am stuck again.
The authenfication tools on Dragon Industries said the passphrase is "Past Is Prologue 6x7yc93".
That is not the case. I feel like employees must know the real meaning of Past is Prologue and are expected to replace it with what they were being told... but what ?
So my only resort is to brute force the GPG key. It is an El-Gamal 1024-bits key.
Unfortunately, it is not the weakest of keys.

The header itself however uses a MD5 hash, which should be easily hackable in theory but the Nuon also expects a certain header (which the bless tool does create it seems).
Thankfully, the NUON does not make use of BCA (unlike the PS1 and Saturn) but it's still not straightforward. The security is similar to the 3DO except said key is stronger.

Anyway, my computer ran out of memory and i couldn't any further.
I also don't plan on adding more DDR4 ram especially now... So if you happen to have a linux distro or WSL, then feel free to give it a try and brute force the key yourself :

https://github.com/gameblabla/nuon

The PGPCrack-Ng tells you how to run it. Use that along with my exported private key in the repo.
Maybe we'll get somewhere but i feel like this is just the beginning...
Anybody willing to give away or sell a NUON to me ? I'm in France and european models are impossible to find.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Just going to say this is good information. Always wanted to be able to burn the homebrews to DVD to play on the 2300 as that really is my favorite Nuon model. May have to tinker with this.

As for Nuons to spare, not at this time.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
So i tried to get further so we could eventually boot homebrew games on DVD and earlier units like the Toshiba SD3200 which is a bit more common than the Samsungs units.

Anyway, while i made a bit more progress, i am stuck again.
The authenfication tools on Dragon Industries said the passphrase is "Past Is Prologue 6x7yc93".
That is not the case. I feel like employees must know the real meaning of Past is Prologue and are expected to replace it with what they were being told... but what ?
So my only resort is to brute force the GPG key. It is an El-Gamal 1024-bits key.
Unfortunately, it is not the weakest of keys.

The header itself however uses a MD5 hash, which should be easily hackable in theory but the Nuon also expects a certain header (which the bless tool does create it seems).
Thankfully, the NUON does not make use of BCA (unlike the PS1 and Saturn) but it's still not straightforward. The security is similar to the 3DO except said key is stronger.

Anyway, my computer ran out of memory and i couldn't any further.
I also don't plan on adding more DDR4 ram especially now... So if you happen to have a linux distro or WSL, then feel free to give it a try and brute force the key yourself :

https://github.com/gameblabla/nuon

The PGPCrack-Ng tells you how to run it. Use that along with my exported private key in the repo.
Maybe we'll get somewhere but i feel like this is just the beginning...
Anybody willing to give away or sell a NUON to me ? I'm in France and european models are impossible to find.

If you ever read this please post back I can arrange a NUON for you, it is not working but it is just the DVD drive mechanism should be an easy fix it is a N501. Also, I have contact info for Dragonshadow I can probably get that key.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
How about this, I would be willing to send one of my N501s to France for you to try to encode homebrews. If you get it to work, I get to play Nuon homebrew games on my favorite 2300 and I no longer will need that extra N501 and you can keep it.

If you don't, you get to pay shipping back to America. :D

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Interesting - not sure how I missed this thread. It showed up when I did a search of the passphrase :) I only have 16GB RAM in my machine. I wonder, if the program doesn't work on my machine, just how much RAM would be required? Pretty cheap and easy to spin up an Amazon EC2 instance for a temporary job like this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.