Autocast spell targeting ground

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
I need a spell which can be cast on the ground (and on widgets), but which allows rightclicks to be detected. Someone an idea?

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
If nothing has changed with these spells, then no.

I want to make an ability, which has an normal shockwave style effect via leftclick (triggered ofc, press hotkey and select target point) and when rightclicking on the ability I replace it with an no order ability which shoots the shockwave simply in the facing direction (simply press hotkey). Rightclicking on the no order ability exchanges these 2 abilities again.

Seprest

Reaction score
I really don't quite know what you exactly want based on the info you've provided. Do you want to be able to face a direction and simply press a hotkey to fire a shackwave in that direction? That would b pretty simple to do...

"when rightclicking on the ability"
"ability which shoots the shockwave simply in the facing direction (simply press hotkey). "

Right clicks can be detected by checking if a unit is ordered to move, you might be able to check if your ability has been right clicked(made to autocast by the name of the topic?) and cast the ability at the target point. Modify with conditions for the cast such as range and whatnot.

Do you mean you want to be able to detect if the autocasting of an ability is turned on/off, or are you just trying to make a multi-functional button to cast differnt modes of a spell? Maybe if you turn autocasting on/off, you just replace the ability with a different one that just takes info on where you right click(target issued order - move) and cast the spell at that location? You could make the spell visually identical, but you will be able to differentiate the spells when checking if a triggering unit has the ability.

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
I apologize for my inability to ask understandable questions.

Do you mean you want to be able to detect if the autocasting of an ability is turned on/off, or are you just trying to make a multi-functional button to cast differnt modes of a spell? Maybe if you turn autocasting on/off, you just replace the ability with a different one that just takes info on where you right click(target issued order - move) and cast the spell at that location? You could make the spell visually identical, but you will be able to differentiate the spells when checking if a triggering unit has the ability.

That's exactly what I want to do.
But the problem is: Tell me an ability which can be autocasted and target ground.

Seprest

Reaction score
I don't think there is one! Everything would have to be triggered :banghead:

I was thinking something along the lines of...
Trigger:
  • trigger1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order with no target
    • Conditions
      • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(myAbilityOn))
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to someUnitGroup

Trigger:
  • trigger2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) is in SomeUnitGroup) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Triggering unit) is in (Units within 600.00 of (Target point of issued order))) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)'s attack animation
          • -------- Creat and move a dummy units with shockwave animation to target point --------
          • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 50.00 towards (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Move To (Target point of issued order)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing

And a trigger to remove the unit from the unit group...

I was thinking this for something like a starcraft terran tank in siege mode... Or that mini game in Uther Party, where the riflemen have to try and shoot the really fast bunny by right clicking.

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
The trigger is really not the problem ;), but thanks anyway.

I could maybe use kaboom, react to the kaboom order, replace kaboom with e.x. carrionswarm cast carrionswarm to the ordered point and replace carrionswarm again with kaboom to be ready to catch the autocast event.
But that would be the ugliest workaround I can imagine..

Seprest

Reaction score
That wouldn't be that ugly. Since kaboom! targets an acquired unit, it would work fine to get coordinates from, just make sure to stop your unit from running over to the target afterwards >.>

I get what you mean now, you want to be able to attack to move and have your ability auto cast on units, but targeting the ground. I thought you wanted to be able to right click on a place on the map and make a unit cast a spell on it haha. By right clicking you just mean turning on auto-cast the whole time?

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
That wouldn't be that ugly. Since kaboom! targets an acquired unit, it would work fine to get coordinates from, just make sure to stop your unit from running over to the target afterwards >.>

One example problem:
Kaboom ordered
Kaboom exchanged with shockwave
Shockwave will be exchanged with kaboom again after finishing the spell
=> All rightclicks on the shockwave icon while casting will be useless

Kaboom ordered
Kaboom exchanged with shockwave
Shockwave will be exchanged with kaboom directly after the "spell effect" event.
=> Hero animation fails

you want to be able to attack to move and have your ability auto cast on units, but targeting the ground

Not exactly.
I make an example:
Your hero has the ability shockwave. The normal shockwave. You can walk around, click on the shockwave icon (via leftclick) and choose a target point on the ground (via leftclick) as normal. But now you click with rightclick on the icon. My trigger fires and exchanges shockwave with a dummy ability like roar without effect. From now on clicking the 'new' shockwave button will result in a shockwave to be casted simply in the facing direction of the hero.
Rightclicking on the dummy ability again, will bring the normal shockwave back.

I'm developing a fast assassin-style map atm (shockwave = shuriken :)), so this would maybe speed the game a little bit up.

By right clicking you just mean turning on auto-cast the whole time?

Correct :thup:

Seprest

Reaction score
You can use the condition from my first trigger to detect when the autocasting of the ability is turned on, then replace the ability with a second one that gives a different functionality, and with autocasting on so that it appears that it is the same spell. Each spell that can turn on/off autocasting should have a string it for the action of turning it on/off. Wouldn't this way of detecting when the ability should be changed, be more fluid?

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
You can use the condition from my first trigger to detect when the autocasting of the ability is turned on, then replace the ability with a second one that gives a different functionality, and with autocasting on so that it appears that it is the same spell. Each spell that can turn on/off autocasting should have a string it for the action of turning it on/off. Wouldn't this way of detecting when the ability should be changed, be more fluid?

YES. The reason for this thread is to find a spell which can target ground, is autocastable and can be configured to be casted without having any effect.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
I can't think of any auto-cast spell that isn't unit/corpse/no target.

Curse
Heal
Cold/Searing/Black/Poison Arrows
Phase Shift
Get Corpse
Raise Dead
Spirit of Vengeance
Carrion Beetles
Frenzy
Bloodlust
Abolish Magic
Spell Steal
Inner Fire
Slow
Web
Unstable Concoction
Essence of Blight
Orb of Annihilation
Spirit Touch
Repair/Restore/Renew
Frost Armor
Faerie Fire
Replenish Life and Mana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.