Back to mapping

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
So it has now been three years since I last logged onto thehelper.net.

At the time I was using the wc3 world editor.

I'm just wondering how different the SC2 map editor is compared to the wc3 one and how hard it will be for me to adapt (extremely rusty)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's significantly more advanced and complicated. It's not really 'adapting' through a transition; it's a totally different thing altogether.

Jokker

Reaction score
I came from WC3 editor. So did x-maul. It is pretty hard but not impossible. You will be very familiar with terrain & triggers. Any kind of data (abilities, units and so on) is a story of its own.

But if you are patient and read some guides, I am sure you will be making progress fast :)

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I also came from the WC3 editor. Really the only new aspect is the data editor. Everything else stays pretty much the same as WC3 just with some minor improvements. As Jokker said, just read some tutorials/guides and you should be able to pick up the major aspects of the Data Editor

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
It's really not that complicated once you learn it (lol). The learning curve, however, is pretty steep.

What I would suggest you to do, is to look at how the current abilities and units in the data editor is set up. Once you figure that out, it get's a lot more easy.

But yes, as Jokker said, it's a good thing to read some guides on how to get started.

This is a very good guide to start with :)

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
Trigger Editor:
More options, functions, variable-types, local and global variables [even static and constants]...
Takes a bit longer to create @default triggers", such as a dialog. Some of the rapid developement from World Edit is lost, but the logic "events, conditions and actions" stays the same.

Terrain Editor:
Lowering, raising cliffs, chosing tiles is more or less the same. Placing of units and regions
(now you can also place Points/Locations, so no need to remove point-memory-leaks, and no longer need to "center of region"). Learning where and what all the neat doodads/destructibles are, is a chapter on its own though.

Data Editor:
They've messed this one up, totally.
Any triggered spell in wc3 is now "possible" within the Data Editor, for the cost of friendlyness and rapid mapping.

Bit "rant":
Why some fields like "Combat - Amount (the damage an object does)" requires to be double clicked (or enter on the field), to popup a dialog, to then fill the value in a textbox, to then click "Ok" in the dialog, instead of having the field "Combat - amount" be a textbox... Its lazyness (not by my side, but the programmers...).

Here is an example of what objects that are required to be changed for creating one unit with one ability (Sc2 vs Wc3):
Code:
Wc3 list:          Sc2List
Ability          Ability + Button, Behavior, Effects, Model, Actor...
Unit            Unit + Behaviors, Effects, Weapon, Actor, Model, Movers...

Last in the ranting section, I want to say something about the tooltips:
Code:
Level 1: 100dmg
Level 2: 200dmg
Clicking OK in the tooltip-dialog after you wrote the above, then entering the tooltip dialog again:
Code:
Level1: 100dmg\nLevel2: 200dmg
Hello readability! The same happens when adding colors to tooltips:
Code:
<c val="000000">D</c><c val="000000">i</c><c val="000000">s</c><c val="000000">t</c><c val="000000">a</c><c val="000000">n</c><c val="000000">c</c><c val="000000">e</c><c val="000000"> </c><c val="000000">D</c><c val="000000">a</c><c val="000000">m</c><c val="000000">a</c><c val="000000">g</c><c val="000000">e</c><c val="000000">
</c><c val="000000">
</c><c val="000000">L</c><c val="000000">e</c><c val="000000">v</c><c val="000000">e</c><c val="000000">l</c><c val="000000"> </c><c val="000000">1</c><c val="000000"> </c><c val="000000">1</c><c val="000000">0</c><c val="000000">0</c>
Yes, this did happen in World Edit too, but... Remember that this cannot be undone, there is no "undo" option (at least not on this computer's editor), and readability is totally gone.

Why they have not seperated colors (solid or gradient) and text into two different fields, and why they add "\n" within the tooltip itself (which they did not in Wc3 if you clicked Enter [if I remember correctly], is above my understanding (not really, its lazyness, I bet). While I am at it: Why having a 55 seconds drop time in-game for arcade, and its not editable? Small things, huge impact. My point? Do not add colors to tooltips, let them be white. :)

Comment:
I have two computers, computer 1 does not have the option "View" > "Show Advanced Fields", but it is able to show the coloring tool for tooltips and a button to toggle it.
Computer 2 does have the "Show Advanced Field" option, but the coloring tool is missing, and no toggle button to turn it on or off... Strange, my fault? Right... Anyways, I'll stop there. :p

Summarize:
Learn the difference between copy and duplicating a unit
Learn how a unit it attached to other objects.
Learn when you need to create something from "scratch" [right click > Add New Effect] versus searching and copying/duplicating an effect.
Finding the "game play constants" as World Edit calls them, is "hidden" everywhere within the Data Editor.

It will not be too difficult (nothing really is, it's all about time, if you can afford investing your time...), your experience does come in handy, but there are a lot of new things to figure out, which will take time. No idea if there are anyone out there who hasnt touched any editor before, and still goes strong within the GE... But start in the Data Editor!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.