Basic Editor Question

WiseSquirrel

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to map making and have a question regarding the following basic issue:

I have made a map with 14 human players.

Each player has two unit groups, the first unit group the player can control (His Units), and the second unit group are meant to be friendly towards the player but cannot be given orders by the player (Think of them as Minions).

Units in both unit groups belong to the player, the player can only control the first unit group.

Now this is the thing I am having trouble with:

How do I turn off vision of the second Unit Group (Minions) for the player who controls them?

I want the player to only be able to see the units in the First Unit Group (Units) and not his units in the second Unit Group (Minions), I am looking for a data or trigger solution (If it requires something else I'll probably need a detailed explanation to understand). I really hope this is not impossible (SC2 editor's only good point is that it is supposedly extremely powerful, unlike other game editors).

My Attempts so far:
1) I've tried using the "Unshare Unit Vision for Player 1" action for Minions Group (Second Unit Group) and it didn't take effect.
2) I've tried using both "Unsharing Player 1's Vision toward Player 1" and the "Sharing Unit Vision" for Units Group (First Unit Group)" to disable vision of all units and re-enabling vision of the Units Group (First Unit Group). But the second action didn't work, the player can't see ANYTHING.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
This can be done by simply setting the vision radius for the unit to 0. If the minion unit is an unique type, do this. If not, make a behavior which modifies the vision radius to 0, and then give the minion units the behavior with your trigger.

By doing this, you wont be able to see the units, untill you have a unit nearby which can see them.

WiseSquirrel

Reaction score
Thanks for responding X-Maul.

Would these units still be able to see and attack enemy units with a 0 radius sight range?

I'd like for the minions to be able to fight, but from what I've read online, units can't attack units they can't see.

X-maul

Reaction score
uhmmm, I'm not sure - I do not have Sc2 installed on this computer, so I can't test it. You should try it out yourself :)

My guess is that they cant, but what is it that you want? is it a big problem that you can see them? are you supposed to be able to move the camera over the location where the units should be?

There might be another way to solve your issue :)

WiseSquirrel

Reaction score
I want them to be computer players which are allied to the player they belong to, each of the 14 players has a computer (Or non player controlled) Ally, and I want the player to only see what the units he controls see, because these minion units are just units that are friendly towards him but hostile towards other players, other players' minions and hostile player (15) units.

I've been told in another forum that what I want to accomplish is impossible though.

X-maul

Reaction score
You could do it with 7 players, and then have 7 computer players, other than that, I dont think it's possible.

WiseSquirrel

Reaction score
Thanks Xmaul, I guess I'll fall back onto my backup plan.

I'll make them all Player 0 units and make them hostile towards the correct players through triggers using unit groups. Would have been nice to have the game do all that alliance work for me though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.