Tutorial Basic Knowledge in Regions

eubz

Cool Member
Reaction score
Basic Knowledge in regions

Region prop.jpg
A Region Property

This tutorial is for new map makers who would like to learn the basics in using regions. With the examples given, I am sure that they can get some information
that regions are important in a map.

Regions

Regions need triggers to reference them so that they can be properly used. Otherwise, they will have no effect in the game. They can be used to set off triggers or to delineate areas a trigger will affect. Regions are invisible in the game but they are present there. They are made as reference of some events or actions that an editor wants.

You can rename a region as you like. Be sure that the name you will give to that region will not confuse you at the time you will use it.
You can also reset the color of a region. You may re-size a region. Just left-click the region you'd like to re-size to select it. left-click hold
at the edge of that region to re-size it as you desire.

Uses of Regions
Regions are used as reference.

1. In choosing hero in a Hero Arena. See This Tutorial for detailed explanations about Hero Arena.
2. Creating Special Effects
3. Spawning/creating Units
4. Killing/removing units from the game
5. Moving units from one region to another

Actually, there are many actions that can occur referencing a region but just to give you some ideas on how you can use regions
here are some triggers that I can give you for now.

Select Hero
Events
Unit - A unit enters Mountain King <gen>
Conditions
(Entering unit) Equal to Wisp 0003 <gen>
Actions
Unit - Create 1 Mountain King for (Owner of (Entering unit)) at ((Owner of (Entering unit)) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
Unit - Hide Mountain King 0001 <gen>
Unit - Remove (Entering unit) from the game
Selection - Select (Last created unit) for (Owner of (Entering unit))

Spawn units
Events
Time - Every 5.00 seconds of game time
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Create 1 Villager (Male 2) for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of Region 000 <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees

Move Units
Events
Unit - A unit enters Region 000 <gen>
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to Villager (Male 2)
Actions
Unit - Order (Entering unit) to Move To (Center of Region 002 <gen>)

Special Effect on Region
Events
Time - Elapsed game time is 10.00 seconds
Conditions
Actions
Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of Region 002 <gen>) using Abilities\Spells\Orc\Voodoo\VoodooAura.mdl

Special Effect on unit
Events
Unit - A unit enters Region 001 <gen>
Conditions
Actions
Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the right hand of (Entering unit) using war3mapImported\4.Armageddon (Fat).mdx

Remove units
Events
Unit - A unit enters Region 002 <gen>
Conditions
Actions
Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Entering unit) using Abilities\Spells\Human\MassTeleport\MassTeleportTarget.mdl
Unit - Remove (Entering unit) from the game

I hope that this tutorial helps you. If you still need knowledge or more informations on how to use regions, you can do experiments on using
regions. Don't rush yourself in knowing too much. Getting knowledge takes time. I think there are still tutorials here like mine. Try to look for those tutorials.
The map for this tutorial can be downloaded here
You may also try to read Archian's Basics of Regions here
Thanks...

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
To be honest, the layout of the tutorial is horrible. The green color adds nothing to the tutorial.

Please take time to rethink the layout and make it pretty.

No comment on content until the layout is better as content makes no difference if it's too ugly to read :(

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
use some bbcodes to make it more eye-candy :s like the [wc3*]<your trigger>[/wc3*] (remove the *)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Less green, more bold/bigger size for subtitles, and
Trigger:
  • tags please. Why all the new lines?
    • Also, as a more general comment, check over your spelling and grammar.
    • &gt; A map without region(s) isn&#039;t a good map. I have not seen a map that do not use regions, send me one if there is.
    • This is a ridiculous claim.. Almost everything regions do can be achieved through other means, and simply not having region&#039;s isn&#039;t something to judge a map on.
    • <blockquote data-attributes="" data-quote="" data-source=""
      • class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
      • <div class="bbCodeBlock-content">
        • <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandContent js-expandContent ">
          • Regions need triggers to reference them so that they can be properly used. Otherwise, they will have no effect in the game. They can be used to set off triggers or to delineate areas a trigger will affect.
    • Regions are invisible in the game but they are present there. They are made as reference of some events or actions that an editor wants.
      • </div>
      • <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandLink js-expandLink"><a role="button" tabindex="0">Click to expand...</a></div>
      • </div>
    • </blockquote>..So what <i>is</i> a region?
    • Not only do your triggers leak, but they don&#039;t help at all in terms of the tutorial. You could at least explain what each of them are doing, and why regions are used/useful in that situation.
    • Don&#039;t be in a rush to write tutorials. Learn to map properly first, and gain some knowledge and experience with the editor. Once you know exactly what you&#039;re doing, and are confident with explaining things and teaching others, then you can write a tutorial. This isn&#039;t explained in nearly as much depth as a good tutorial would be.

Magthridon96

Reaction score
I totally agree with Romek.

Regions aren't imperative to the quality of a map.
Some maps can manage without them.

Instead of saying how maps won't benefit without regions, you should focus on the fact
that maps could benefit if they had regions.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
As well,

Trigger:
  • -------- Trigger tags work nicely --------

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It still seems to lack [NOPARSE]
Trigger:
  • [/NOPARSE] tags, and it seems to lack some updates that Romek pointed out.
    • Graveyarded.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.