Battle.net - No Variety

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
I remember back when I first got WC3 and its expansion. I would go onto battle.net, and be greeted by numerous games. All kinds of arenas, TDs, non-rigged/pr0nographic LOAPs, very little DOTA, all kinds of maps.

Now, I play on Azeroth (east). These days, all I see are arenas and DOTA. Barely any variety. I sort of miss the days when there was all kinds of nice, enjoyable, and sometimes humorous maps set in the Warcraft era. All the things nowadays are about anime or the modern era. What happened to all our interesting concepts?

Are the other servers like this? Because I am getting sick of this...

This is mainly a mini-rant, but I want to know if anyone agrees that battle.net has lost much, and now has little to offer but anime and DOTA.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Battle.net has lost it's originality. Just like Diablo did. In Diable 2 I would do all the quests and listen to the story. Now, when I played it, I always do Rushes, Tristrum Runs, Baal Runs, ect. Always the same.

So yes, it's not as great as it once was. Though, part of this is the fact that you have played many of the games, so they get boring after time. Though, there is still hope! Oneday, someone will create a new interesting game that is always original.

Nice mini-rant :p

Z

Zero R.

DotA has made a monopoly on B.Net. The only variety you would see is the ones when you get in Closed Beta. The rest is all rigged versions of Dota. It's time to take a stand!

Let's getthe dota opensource, and rig it. When someone plays, the text 'GET OFF YOUR SEAT; STOP PLAYING DOTA!' would flash over and over again until the player becomes insane.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Zero R. said:
DotA has made a monopoly on B.Net. The only variety you would see is the ones when you get in Closed Beta. The rest is all rigged versions of Dota. It's time to take a stand!

Let's getthe dota opensource, and rig it. When someone plays, the text 'GET OFF YOUR SEAT; STOP PLAYING DOTA!' would flash over and over again until the player becomes insane.

Lmao another DotA-Hater standing up ;) Lets try not try to get the thread closed.

But we do need a new map, to get some variety. I know there are many projects on TH alone, so maybe one will get big.

P.S. Make it a cinematic, it makes them all go insane...

Z

Zero R.

Halo_king116 said:
Lmao another DotA-Hater standing up ;) Lets try not try to get the thread closed.

But we do need a new map, to get some variety. I know there are many projects on TH alone, so maybe one will get big.

Okay, that was harsh. Though I loved your idea. Cinematics away! Though, you have to admit, you would dance in joy when you see something different for once.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Last time I looked, there were plenty of different games though.
One was "-ap", one "-ar", one "-ap, no noobs", "no noobies", "no download", "pros only", ...
Don't know what you're complaining about... :p

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
The exact reason my Battle.Net dialog button is getting dusty and rusty...

N

Nareg

What needs to happen is there needs to be a map just as popular as dota... if there are two people will look for more.

How can you do it?....

one day gather 10 or so hosts and flood the game select screen with similar titles.

since people are sheep they will play it. People dont want to bother learning to play a map that isnt popular. If they suddenly see XXX new map! dominating the list theyll try it out and host it themselves to show their skills.

This is what im planning on when im done with my map some day :p

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Nareg said:
What needs to happen is there needs to be a map just as popular as dota...
Except that the problem we ran into was that DotA is impossible to out-popularize because of all the bloody noobs that wont try anything else. The only way to beat it woulf be to screw over a version of it (just add little triggers here and there that have a random chance to happen at certain events that cause droppage, laggage, instant full-team deathage, and cause-spell-to-cast-100-times-when-you-only-clicked-it-onceage). w/e. For now we'll have to stick with melee and an occasional good game if you know people that can host.

though the mass hosting idea theoretically could work.

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
If we have a DOTA competitor map created, we may soon have that rise to be the new equivalent of what DOTA is right now.

There are thousands (maybe even more) battle.net maps, including Blizzard's works. They all have a fair amount of glory, before cast aside by DOTA. Some friends of mine have come to this possibility as well, that we rig the DOTA maps and/or site.

Ever notice that, when looking for a game, suddenly you see a new version of DOTA? Refresh once, suddenly that new version is all over. I don't get how the DOTAnites, as I call them, are so good at getting up-to-date versions, unless they share the same brain. DOTA both kills bnet's diversity, as well as the minds of its victims.

Anyway, I cannot imagine making a DOTA competitor without doing the monopoly all over again. All we can do is hope the better AoS maps (my favorite are Emnity and AoM, but some other good ones include: Everything) will become more popular, until the average DOTAnite can see the difference.
---
<offtopic>Do you need to make a new account to go onto another server? I guess so. The change server button is just, say, if you have a Lordaeron account, pick Lordaeron so you can use it. Pick Azeroth to use your Azeroth one. For some reason, I always thought that button was simply to change where you log onto, but that does not work.</offtopic>

There are so many "pros only" games of DOTA...not enough "noobs only". I've played AoS maps, and won at them. Yet DOTA is different. For some reason, in DOTA, it feels like it's much, much easier to die (along with your allies flaming you upon first blood). I just cannot get into DOTA...something about it is different.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
AceHart said:
One was "-ap", one "-ar", one "-ap, no noobs", "no noobies", "no download", "pros only", ...
Don't know what you're complaining about... :p
:D
bnetdiversity.jpg

http://www.wc3sear.ch/viewtopic.php?t=18711

>Do you need to make a new account to go onto another server?
Yes, but you can use the same loggin information :p

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Thats must be edited. :p

Hehe, I'm no expert, but I think I see a blur around the text.

Just add an arena in there and it's about as real as it can get ;)

PB_and_J

level 85 anti-spammer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AceHart
Don't know what you're complaining about...

Lol that made me giggle.

Halo_King:

That picture itself may be edited, but I have seen that exact scene a few times befor on Bnet. :banghead:

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that before. It seems quite edited, but it could just be the terrible quality...

...that or the person who took the image haxx0r'd the bnet filter to only show DOTA games.

Y

YosLin

It seems as though DOTA has grown beyond the point where it can be stopped it will continue to corrupt and consume everything in its path until it is the only game left on B.net. Already most of my friends on B.net who used to hate DOTA now cannot stop playing it. I used to like it..... but the constant allies yelling at you because you got killed or something similar.... the real question is: Can it still be stopped?

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
One of my friends succumbed to DOTA's evil clutches a few weeks ago...and we're normally part of the DOTA-Hating Cult.

Do you think, deep down, bnet and Blizzard hate DOTA, or love it? The mind wobbles.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Kenito said:
One of my friends succumbed to DOTA's evil clutches a few weeks ago...and we're normally part of the DOTA-Hating Cult.

Do you think, deep down, bnet and Blizzard hate DOTA, or love it? The mind wobbles.

DotA makes them money.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
I do think that they should change the Bnet filter so it would have a Not DotA filter on it. It would be easy enough to program.

I've seen that happen so many times, I don't care anymore. What we SHOULD do it constantly play the game, and kill ourselves repetedly on purpose, and see what happens lol >:)

This is also why I switched to WoW.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.