bf1942--Ram Tweak

L

LT.Homer Simpson

After running some test I found out the bf1942 mp demo is one bad memory hog. I have a program that shows the memory usage and bf1942 loves the ram. And to make matters worst, during game load it uses amost all available ram and doesn't let it go. This doesn't leave much to actually run the game.
So using a ram recovery program like FreeRam XP Pro helps.
Download it here.
I would leave the box--Don't Run If Cpu Usage is--unchecked and kept the program in passive mode.--Use the auto feature.

Also adding the commandline -heapsize 128000 to the end of the target line in the properties window of the games shortcut helps tremendously.

L

LT.Homer Simpson

Here is my shortcut settings for bf1942.

Attachments

• shortcut.bmp
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,768
O

OSHEA

I tried putting ‘heapsize’ into my short cut. Must have been doing something wrong, kept getting an error message when I applied it. Here is my target:
"F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe"
I tried putting the heapsize in few different ways and no luck.

The demo played great for me, no problems. After I bought the retail version, I noticed excessive lag on multi-player games. Thought it was just the server. Then I tried a game of single player, to my surprise, my pc lagged on single player. I did a search for 1942 tweaks and that led me here!
I just tried 1942 with FreeRam XP. After loading 1942 I heard the program kick in, trying to free up ram. Not sure what the optimal way to run Freeram XP with 1942 is. I have it running in my sys tray, set on free ram when it drops below 256mb. At anyrate it didn't help much.

My System;
AMD XP 2000
Abit Nforce ATA 133 raid mobo.
G4 Ti4600
512 DDR PC 2100 <------should go buy another 512
Three 40 gb HDs..one has nothing but games on it.
XP Pro for the OS
Every driver on my PC is updated

Here is my 3DBenchmarks for this thing… http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4422481

Any suggestions would be great..thx!

O

OSHEA

Just got the heapsize thing to work. Not sure what it does but I'm going to give it a try..heh

O

OSHEA

I fixed my system for 1942 by setting the virtual mem. I'm only running 512 mb of DDR right now, I set my VM up to 1024 min and 1074 max. I have 3 harddrives so I set my VM for each of them. Now I have 3072mb of vm. What a huge diff this made. I can run everything at max level again.

O

Outl@w

Help with shortcut tweak?

Is there another file that has to be changed as far as directory goes to do the ''heapsize 128000'' tweak ? Everytime i try to do it and apply , it says that the target is not valid and make sure that the file exsists. One other thing...........I imagine it will work with the retail version the same way right ? (thats what im running). Thanks in advance !!

O

OSHEA

Not sure about having to create another file for the ‘heapsize’. This is how I have mine set up.
"F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" -heapsize 128000

Check this..if you guys have time make sure you e-mail EA and let them know about the cheats that are going around for 1942. I talked to an EA tech guy and they are supposed to be releasing a patch that helps with some of the ram issues. Hopefully it will patch some of the cheats the kids are using.

cheat.png

L

LT.Homer Simpson

What the heapsize tweak does is that it sets aside a certain amount of ram for the game and nothing else but the game.
So in using this tweak you are certain that Windows and any other app process doesn't hog all the ram away from the game.
This is why you shouldn't use more than 75% of your ram amount or you will take away ram from Windows if you set it too high.
75% of your ram is high enough.( I would not go much more 128000 for most games, but in noticing the way bf1942 hogs ram, you could try higher amounts)

The catch 22 to this is what OS your running--If your running 95, 98, ME--you need to leave at least 32 ram(min) for the kernal to run.
If your running Win 2000 I would suggest 64 min.
If your running XP I would suggest 128 min.

Example:If your running XP--you have 256 ram--heapsize would be 128000 or less.

If your running XP---you have 512 ram---heapsize would be 128000~384000.

If your running 2000---you have 512 ram---heapsize would be 12800~448000.(Even tho I think that 448000 would be a waste-the reason I say this--if your game only use, say 200megs of ram, the rest would sit there unused.)

You need to substract some ram from your total ram for windows operation, then alot the rest toward the game. Those amounts I gave you are the min requirements--This may not work for everybody. So you see it can be a little bit of an experiment to found the optimium amount for your comp.

This is the correct way to place the command in the Target:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe -heapsize 128000

Space between .exe and -
Space between -heapsize and 128000

C

curto

how much

I've got 1gig (1024MB)... how much should I be setting as a heapsize... or doesn't it matter at this point?

I'm running windows XP Pro.

G

giors.

my inconvinience

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" -heapsize 128000
the correct path is this i thing
and it slows down game as win98 32 mB ram

A

atomaro

Just a general question, the heapsize will work for virtually any other game as well, correct (MOHAA, Call of Duty, etc)? This isn't about fixing any problem, just a question in general.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.