Technology Bitcoin crackdown sends graphics cards prices plummeting in China after Sichuan terminated mining operations

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
China’s ongoing bitcoin mining crackdown has sent the price of graphics cards plummeting, making the critical component in mining operations much more affordable in the country but leaving miners with fewer places to set up shop.

The Nvidia Quadro P1000 model, an entry-level graphics card, was going for 2,429 yuan (US$376) on a JD.com franchise store on Monday morning, down from a peak of nearly 3,000 yuan in early May, before the State Council’s financial watchdog vowed to crack down on bitcoin mining.

The Asus RTX3060, a more advanced card, was down to 4,699 yuan on Monday from its peak of 13,499 yuan in May on Tmall, operated by JD.com rival Alibaba Group Holding, the owner of the South China Morning Post. The price changes were tracked by e-commerce information provider Manmanbuy.

Graphics cards, typically associated with computers used for video gaming, are an important hardware component for cryptocurrency mining because of the extra processing power they provide for hashing, the complex computations used to create more digital currency and verify transactions on blockchain. The more computational power a miner controls, the better the chances of beating others to adding new blocks to the blockchain and reaping the rewards.

The price plunge comes after southwestern Sichuan province, which relies heavily on hydropower for electricity and had become China’s last bitcoin mining haven, pulled the plug on mining farms on Saturday night. Previous signals from local regulators suggested the province hoped to let miners take advantage of abundant hydropower over the summer.

However, none of China’s major bitcoin mining hubs have been spared from Beijing’s harsh crackdown in the wake of recent price volatility that saw the cryptocurrency’s value plunge by more than 40 per cent in May. Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang and Sichuan had been attractive locations for miners because of their cheap electricity, but they are now hostile environments.

Besides price volatility, the massive amount of electricity needed for the constant hashing that powers blockchains has also become a concern in China, which aims to reach peak carbon emissions by 2030 and become carbon neutral by 2060.

Read more here. (South China Morning Post)

This is a paywalled article.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Maybe one day I'll be able to buy one. I've been in EVGA's queue for a card since the day after it launched. It's been like 9 months and I haven't had a chance to buy.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe one day I'll be able to buy one. I've been in EVGA's queue for a card since the day after it launched. It's been like 9 months and I haven't had a chance to buy.

Which card? That's nuts. Have you tried NewEgg Shuffle or BestBuy drops? Might have a better chance there.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Which card? That's nuts. Have you tried NewEgg Shuffle or BestBuy drops? Might have a better chance there.
It's the EVGA 380 XC3 Black (10G-P5-3881-KR). Actually just got an email today saying they moved me into the queue for another card that limits crypto mining performance, but is otherwise identical. Don't expect to ever get it at this point. I barely even want it anymore.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking about starting to mine some Etherium and other Alt coins. I got all bills paid where I live I wonder how much power I can suck out of this thing before they kill me. I want to see what these smart contracts can do I have been looking into solidity, the block chain programming language of etherium and OK I can do that....

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I use NiceHash for mining. You run their app, and they do the conversion and pay you directly in BTC. If you have a Coinbase account, they can do free withdrawals. I think there are other services out there like them as well. Very easy to use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.