Spell BlinkBJ

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The name isn't that much of an issue. It's not right, but it's not something that's in need of immediate change either...

I'm not convinced about your map-bounds checking reason to use this over the built-in blink. Since you're using vJass global blocks, you might as well put the code into a scope and make the functions and globals private (and use constant functions for level-based values, such as range). I also fail to see how any of those constant values can be changed dynamically.

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
>You can copy paste the blink ability and change it in game, or even do something clever with ability levels for units.
That would be really lame. And would also increase loading time.

>I also fail to see how any of those constant values can be changed dynamically.
They can be used or ignored.

Code:
function BlinkBJ_Action takes nothing returns nothing
local string array rand_fxs
rand_fx[0] = "some effect"
rand_fx[1] = "other effect"

// use different effect path from some other place and or use the defaults
call BlinkBJ(rawcode,[B] rand_fx[GetRandomInt(0, 1)][/B], [B]BLINKBJ_DEFAULT_EFFECT_TARGET_POINT_LOCATION[/B], ...)
endfunction

In the action function all kinds of logic can be implemented for some of the parameters of the BlinkBJ function and then just pass them. Also the BlinkBJ function can be changed (ex to include bounds checking) but you can't change Blizzards code can you?

>Add a trigger when blink is casted and order the unit to stop if it is outside of map bounds.

And if I want to change the minimal cast range that you specified in the OE?!
Or the errors it displays? or.......... you got my point right?

Thats the whole point of "rewriting" a Blizzard spell.

>Look at spells in the spell section, and see how yours compares in quality.
Yeee...

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Hotkey : B -> S(Stop)
Then you can blink without interrupting cooldown.
Cool flaw.

Sgqvur

Reaction score
>Hotkey : B -> S(Stop)
Cool flaw.

You know what's a cool flaw?
Being able to blink from ensnare, entangle roots etc. =)

Also while giving spell immunity seamed to work it had a very unpleasant side effect of debuffing. Lets say your hero was buffed with inner fire, bloolust etc. and you blink you will lose those. But if your hero was crippled, slowed, polymorphed, etc. blinking would also clear those negative buffs so it was a bad workaround. The new fix is giving 'Avul'(invulnerability) instead of 'ACmi'(spell immunity).

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every time you post you take the issue given to you and just ignore it. Is that a strategy, or do you just choose to not improve your spell?

Sgqvur

Reaction score
>Every time you post you take the issue given to you and just ignore it.

Can you decode for me what this means:
>Hotkey : B -> S(Stop)
Cool flaw.

Hotkey? In the OE or in the function parameter?

With such little information what do you want me to do?
I couldn't reproduce this blinking without interrupting because point target spells with hot key "S" just don't work(hotkey is ignored) try with any other point target spell.

>Is that a strategy, or do you just choose to not improve your spell?
If you carefully read my posts you will notice I do try to improve it.

jrhetf4xb

Reaction score
It still doesn't dodge incoming non-triggered projectiles... The only efficient way I can think of right now is giving it invisibility for a very short period but the flaw with it is that True Sight counters it.
Another thing you might have not noticed - Blink's special effect is created on spell _CAST response, not _EFFECT (interrupt normal Blink's casting and you'll see the sfx appear).
And "Select Target" and all your other SimError messages overlap, making it difficult to distinguish what each other says.

> How do you reset cooldown?
And what hacky stuff?

I don't know why are you acting like you didn't script this spell but your code obviously has this function UnitResetAbilityCooldown() and its uses are very odd. I'll once again suggest you to do all the error displaying upon SPELL_CAST and get rid of this usage.

Also...

Code:
    // ensnare, roots etc.
    if GetUnitMoveSpeed(hero_nakamura) <= 0.0 then
What if the unit by default has 0 speed (OE data)?

I feel that this is like replicating Impale or other ladder skills... :| It just loses the feel of the original spell.

Sgqvur

Reaction score
>It still doesn't dodge incoming non-triggered projectiles...

Well kinda yes but I think blinking right after a storm bolt (800 test range)
and the 0.4 TSA expiring and removing invulnerability is a rare event.

>The only efficient way I can think of right now is giving it invisibility for a
very short period but the flaw with it is that True Sight counters it.

Invisibility takes a bit of time to kick in unlike invulnerability which is instant
so it won't work in this case.

>Another thing you might have not noticed - Blink's special effect is created on spell _CAST response,
not _EFFECT (interrupt normal Blink's casting and you'll see the sfx appear).

Yes =). But you are reffering to Blizzard's Blink ability.

>And "Select Target" and all your other SimError messages overlap,
making it difficult to distinguish what each other says.

"Select Target" is not a message that the ability displays by it self.
Difficult? Well it's not perfect overshadowing but I wouldn't say difficult.

>What if the unit by default has 0 speed (OE data)?

Don't give blink to a building maybe?

>I feel that this is like replicating Impale or other ladder skills... :| It just loses the feel of the original spell.

Hope now it doesn't =).

>I don't know why are you acting like you didn't script this spell but your code obviously has this function UnitResetAbilityCooldown() and its uses are very odd.

And not needed yes tnx.

Also:

Fixed the cooldown problem that I think kingkingyyk3 was referring to.
The spell properly takes mana away now =).

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well kinda yes but I think blinking right after a storm bolt (800 test range) and the 0.4 TSA expiring and removing invulnerability is a rare event.
But that's contradicting the fact that this is supposed to be identical to Blizzard's spell.

Yes =). But you are reffering (referring) to Blizzard's Blink ability.
I thought that this ability is supposed to mirror it.

Don't give blink to a building maybe?
What about a dummy unit with no move speed? Just another reason I should use Blizzard's blink rather than this.

And you still don't dodge incoming projectiles, and have not given me a reason to use this spell.

Sgqvur

Reaction score
>But that's contradicting the fact that this is supposed to be identical to Blizzard's spell.
>I thought that this ability is supposed to mirror it.

"BlinkBJ tries to mimic as much as possible the behavior of Blink."
The thing jrhetf4xb mentioned was a funny "exploit" that can be used to constantly create
effects without actually using blizzard's Blink. It goes like this: Using blink's hotkey (B) you order the unit
to cast it in a valid point and then very quickly pressing "S" for stop or "H" for hold position.

>What about a dummy unit with no move speed? Just another reason I should use Blizzard's blink rather than this.

Why would you want your dummy unit to be able to blink anyway?

>And you still don't dodge incoming projectiles,

If you at least test the map you will see it does. Can be tweaked to dodge them with more probability but yes it's not perfect at the moment.

>and have not given me a reason to use this spell.

2 words: not static

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.