Blizzard job opportunity: Level designer

Mind

Reaction score
-Why do they need level designers?
-What are they going to do with the maps?
-How skillfull is skillfull enough?
-Will Blizzard accept average and less then average levels?
-Would I ever grow skillfull enough to be accepted?
-How long will they accept mapdesigners?

Please do not ignore my questions… Please?… :(

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to understand that we are not Blizzard - nor are we officially affilliated with them. Here are my guesses.

-Why do they need level designers?

Probably do not have enough of them.

What are they going to do with the maps?

They are going to use them to judge the skill of the applicants. In all the creative positions at Blizzard they require a sample of your work along with your resume

-How skillfull is skillfull enough?

Blizzard tries to hire the best.

-Will Blizzard accept average and less then average levels?

I think you are thinking they are going to use the maps for an add on or something - I don't think that is going to happen. Only Blizzard knows exactly for sure but I bet they just keep them until the decision process is over and either delete them or file them with the resumes.

-Would I ever grow skillfull enough to be accepted?

You can do and be whatever you aspire to be - as long as you work hard and have the desire.

-How long will they accept mapdesigners?

Only Blizzard can answer that question.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the partial need for a level designer is to continue making and releasing maps for warcraft 3. You may have noticed that there was a large period where no extra maps were released, and everyone was asking for a long time why there were no maps of the week like in starcraft. Then blizzard started to eventually do this, though this was only in recent times and on an irregular basis. They might just want to hire someone to continue releasing maps more regularly so they can put more resources into WoW or something.

Eventually, there is a chance that the level designer will give input and contribute to Starcraft 2.

Would I ever grow skillfull enough to be accepted?

If you're serious about applying, I will try my best to help you out wherever you want help.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know figures, but entry level positions into games companies aren't that flash, you will need to spend some time there first before your salary becomes decent. Like any job though, your initial pay will depend on how skilled you are and how much value you can add to the company.

I forgot you were an engineer hehe. I guess I should tell you I just finished my engineering degree in december, and I should be graduating in July :)

god, I am soooooooooooooooooo sick of studying..... :-(

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get the job you would have to work in Irvine CA. I mean if you lived close enough to drive that would be fine but they are looking to fill a full time position at there offices.

As far as pay goes, you have to also take into account the high cost of living in California. A dollar in Texas or in Flordia is not a dollar in California or New York. The cost of living in California is HIGH.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I also wanted to add - once upon a time a long time ago I had a chance to work for Blizzard as a Tech Support person. It was during the heyday of my Helping on the Blizzard forums. I decided against it because I was making good money, the relocation issue, and the high cost of living in CA. When I look back I realize that I made a mistake. I should have taken the job because then I would have been doing something I love to do. Now, I am a divorced burned out programmer working a job I hate.

If I could go back in time I would have made the move - but unfortunately time travel is not possible. If you love to do level design go for it. Sure it is not alot of money and you have to move but you would be in the door in the Video Games business working at Blizzard. Just my 2 cents.

Mind

Reaction score
What does payment matter? The only goal I would have is, well, the goal. And, of course, the pleasure you have in creating the levels.
I don't think Blizzard would ever pay the designers of the map.

I'm certainly going to do my best to design levels that could be accepted by Blizzard.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Mind - they are looking to fill an employment position. It is a full time position at Blizzard - working at Blizzard - getting paid by Blizzard. They are not asking for map submissions to make a map pack. They are looking for samples of work to go along with your resume. In other words they are looking to give someone a job. When you have a job you get paid.

Understand that this opportunity is just like if you picked up your newspaper classified adds and were looking for a job. It is not send in your level so it can be included on an expansion or something. Don't send in your level unless you have a resume attached to it and are at least serious about applying for the job. Human Resources have enough to do than to go through mails of people who are not responding to what they asked for. If you just send in your level you are wasting your time.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The Helper

Well, remember, as any new job can start out fun, different, and interesting. As the years grow, a job is a job, and you'll get burned out on it. Things become less fun when your "obligated" to do it, and you don't get to make all the decisions. I use to love 3D design, but try it for 7 years - LOL.

About pay -

I'm sure if you sent your resume and sample portfolio, and you were accepted, they would contact you. Thens the time you ask about pay, benifits, hours and relocation. You can always decline! Employment is a competition, people. Go for the more green grass. I'm sure Cali is a lot more fun to live in than OHIO

Darg - Engineering
http://www.progage.com

Not only did I design some of the "showroom" products, I also wrote the entire page from scratch. LOL. Check it - its pretty neat... and rarely do I get feedback :)

Wow.... I really didn't realize how much I do.... web programming, perl, CAD, PLC, network admin, fighting, motorcycles, maps... jesus AHHHH

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know - I have been doing the Blizzard Tech Support thing for about 6 years now and I am still here. Of course noone is telling me I have to do it or do it a certain way :) I also took some hefty breaks in between. I don't think they would let you do that if you worked for them :)

Mind

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Helper
Mind - they are looking to fill an employment position. It is a full time position at Blizzard - working at Blizzard - getting paid by Blizzard. They are not asking for map submissions to make a map pack. They are looking for samples of work to go along with your resume. In other words they are looking to give someone a job. When you have a job you get paid.

Understand that this opportunity is just like if you picked up your newspaper classified adds and were looking for a job. It is not send in your level so it can be included on an expansion or something. Don't send in your level unless you have a resume attached to it and are at least serious about applying for the job. Human Resources have enough to do than to go through mails of people who are not responding to what they asked for. If you just send in your level you are wasting your time.

*sigh* Of course, stupid, foolish, unexperienced me.

Sorry for moaning about the fact that I'm such a misfit, but I just occasionally want to get rid of my opinion about myself.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Mind - don't worry about it. I just wanted to clear it up for you so you did not spend alot of time making a map for them and have them not even look at it. I wish they would do something with all the map submissions they are going to get. Put out a free pack for download off there site of all the submissions they get. That would be pretty neat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.