Blizzard North's Diablo 3 - What could have been

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I was lurking the interwebs when i came across something; it was screenshots of the first Diablo 3, the one that was cancelled when blizzard north fell apart in '05. And i found it very interesting to see what could have been with this game compared to what is now:

IncGamers said:
Kotaku has posted 17 screenshots taken from the early/canceled version of Diablo III, developed at Blizzard North from 2000-2005. There’s nothing in the post about where the shots came from, not even one of those, “an unnamed source” type mentions, so we’ve got only the visuals to go with.

At least those are gorgeous, in terms of the level artwork and design. The interface is a rough draft, and the characters and monsters (some of which were leaked previously) don’t look as far along in the development as the backgrounds, and they don’t really seem to “fit” properly into the levels, but I feel confident in asserting that it looked better in motion than it does in still images.

The most detailed rumor about Diablo III came in 2005 from a bridge-burning ex-Blizzard employee named Chris Hartgraves, (details in the Diablo 3 History article) in which he reported that Diablo III was set largely in the High Heavens. That’s where most of these screenshots were taken, and we even see Tyrael and another archangel in one shot.

This was posted in February, but the screenshots are from, well, 2000-2005.

The images

Apperently the game was supposed to be based among the High Heavens to contrast that of diablo 2's Hell gameplay. Also, Blizzard North's Version was supposed to be a direct sequel, as is seen with very similar UI's, same resource systems, and a general similar feel amongs the screenshots, while the new Diablo 3 is a 'Reboot' as you will of the diablo game. (at least thats what ive read)

Personally i think that the current one being produced is a lot... 'cooler' than those screenshots, and i feel like the current diablo is coming along very nice right now and i cant wait for it, but those screenshots are from '05 so who knows what the game could've eventually be. Its fun playing the what if game.
Just some interesting pics i figured id share

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
I agree. The current Diablo 3 style looks much cooler, but the graphics are a bit lacking.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree. This is a true diablo, just look at the level desighn, and UI. Don't get me wrong I don't have a grudge with the version that will come out... well actually I do, somewhere across the line where skill points were removed, skill cap was made to 50-60(can't remember which one exactly) the talents from wow were implemented, with a minor tweak (they have bigger effect than in wow) and they made the cold, bloody, dark world of Diablo 2 into a fucking cartoonish Disney wonderland... As a true fan of the REAL Diablo universe(the one from the first 2 games and the books) this is more than I can handle. All that doesn't mean I am not as hiped as hell about the game though :D:D:D

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I disagree. This is a true diablo, just look at the level desighn, and UI. Don't get me wrong I don't have a grudge with the version that will come out...

I havnt seen the actual UI for the current d3 in production so i cant comment.

well actually I do, somewhere across the line where skill points were removed,

There are pros and cons to this, and the skill system in d1 and d2 were completely different, so making it different in d3 isnt really straying from the norm

skill cap was made to 50-60(can't remember which one exactly)

Its 60. But saying it isnt in line with diablo is wrong because the diablo 1 skill cap was 50.

the talents from wow were implemented, with a minor tweak (they have bigger effect than in wow)

Never played WoW, so i don't know how it worked in that game, im assuming it didnt work well if you dont like it being implemented in d3?

and they made the cold, bloody, dark world of Diablo 2 into a fucking cartoonish Disney wonderland

The screenshot's from the blizzard north version are pretty cartoony and colorfully bright as well, so it isnt better in that case either from the old version. Also recent diablo 3 videos and screenshots looks pretty dark actually so im a bit pleased with that.

... As a true fan of the REAL Diablo universe(the one from the first 2 games and the books) this is more than I can handle.

the books are awesome (and this is coming from a guy who LOATHES readin). also fighting in the heavens doesnt seem very... diablo-universy. the hell invasion seems a lot more diablo in terms of atmosphere and the way the universe functions. only thing that seems out of plac in the universe is the different resource names. If they kept the resource system but kept the name 'mana' id like it a lot more.

EDIT: also the potions in the old D3 look really bad, like, worse than diablo 2 quality bad

EDIT2: Also the camera angle on the new D3 looks more like diablo then those screenshots, those SSs seem more like its from a lower PoV

EDIT3: also the graphics, while 3d, seem even worse than d2 in those pics D:

EDIT4: Also thats not how i thought the high heavens would look. i was expecting them to look better :(

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>Its 60. But saying it isnt in line with diablo is wrong because the diablo 1 skill cap was 50.

Also the game was made a at a time where if you used 256 colors in a game the PC would explode ; )

>Never played WoW, so i don't know how it worked in that game, im assuming it didnt work well if you dont like it being implemented in d3?
It is not how it works, it is where it is taken from, what it replaces and the fact that it is REALLY unoriginal or innovative.

>The screenshot's from the blizzard north version are pretty cartoony and colorfully bright as well, so it isnt better in that case either from the old version. Also recent diablo 3 videos and screenshots looks pretty dark actually so im a bit pleased with that.

They are bright because of the setting (heaven) not cartoony at all, that was the grafic in 2005 -_-

All in all these are alpha-beta screenshots... I would have liked to play that game, because it is a direct sequel and all... On the bright side, DIII has shown some epic level design in concept art. ^_^

My beef with the new systems is that they make the game simpler, for blizzard to balance. Why do they want to balance a game like that to begin with ? I mean, the pvp will be for fun, Diablo was never a real pvp universe... so why cut the classic systems, replace them with crippled systems from wow and... /rant over

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Also the game was made a at a time where if you used 256 colors in a game the PC would explode ; )

That isn't a valid argument in terms of skill cap because i hacked my d1 char to be level 99 all the time, meaning it was possible just wasn't done.
It is not how it works, it is where it is taken from, what it replaces and the fact that it is REALLY unoriginal or innovative.

I agree fuck WoW. As long as it works though i dont mind too much.

They are bright because of the setting (heaven) not cartoony at all, that was the grafic in 2005 -_-

looks like WoW GFX a bit to me :x also, the Pandimonium Fortress from D2 was supposed to be a part of the high heavens and was still dark and gloomy so that argument can be countered in terms of setting.

All in all these are alpha-beta screenshots... I would have liked to play that game, because it is a direct sequel and all... On the bright side, DIII has shown some epic level design in concept art. ^_^

The level design looks amazing to me actually. concept art though isnt relevant to gameplay but it is always nice to look at :>

My beef with the new systems is that they make the game simpler, for blizzard to balance. Why do they want to balance a game like that to begin with ? I mean, the pvp will be for fun, Diablo was never a real pvp universe... so why cut the classic systems, replace them with crippled systems from wow and... /rant over

Blizzard has already stated that there will not be balancing done so don't worry. they said if people complain about balance then they will tell them to fuck off (not literally but yeah) also they stated that they removed stat points because there was never diversity in it... Str and dexterity only so you can equip the things you need and the rest into vitality. Always the same for every character. no customization. if anything it was crippling d2. Same with skill points. all it was was max ur main spell then pump synergies. i like nostalgia and keeping things the same and all that but i also like having things that make the game better.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>That isn't a valid argument in terms of skill cap because i hacked my d1 char to be level 99 all the time, meaning it was possible just wasn't done.

pwn'd :D

>The level design looks amazing to me actually. concept art though isnt relevant to gameplay but it is always nice to look at :>

Hm.... you need to play to see the actual level desighn. Everything looks cool from a specific angle (I am a bit of nazi when it comes to level and game desighn since I was doing that for ~1year and I had the pleasure to be thought by a professional about that... sadly my PC erased all data of itself, killing my 90% finished project in the process. I had only achivements and loading screen to make T_T)

>Blizzard has already stated that there will not be balancing done so don't worry. they said if people complain about balance then they will tell them to fuck off (not literally but yeah) also they stated that they removed stat points because there was never diversity in it... Str and dexterity only so you can equip the things you need and the rest into vitality. Always the same for every character. no customization. if anything it was crippling d2. Same with skill points. all it was was max ur main spell then pump synergies. i like nostalgia and keeping things the same and all that but i also like having things that make the game better.

Those things were never really a problem for me, it was how the game was, fine by me... what makes me freak out is that: wc3, epic game, a tone of new systems --> that shit wow. DII, epic game, same systems from WoW --> ????

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Hm.... you need to play to see the actual level desighn. Everything looks cool from a specific angle (I am a bit of nazi when it comes to level and game desighn since I was doing that for ~1year and I had the pleasure to be thought by a professional about that... sadly my PC erased all data of itself, killing my 90% finished project in the process. I had only achivements and loading screen to make T_T)

Im going off of videos ive seen and the way its designed looks really cool, with multiple levels in one level and such. but like you said they probably only show the best parts of the level for publicity and all that. also, get better PCs that dont erase themselves :p

Those things were never really a problem for me, it was how the game was, fine by me... what makes me freak out is that: wc3, epic game, a tone of new systems --> that shit wow. DII, epic game, same systems from WoW --> ????

cant rly compare wc3 to wow. sure its the same universe but the genre and playstyle is completely different. idk tho i like being optimistic. i dont want to get myself down on a game that i havnt played yet.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I don't understand the arguments people have about graphics. Blizzard makes all their games cartoonish, with their use of color contrasting; so this isn't new even from Diablo 2. Also, older engines have a harder time with lighting and shadows, so the fact that a lot of older games are darker is partly smoke and mirrors in order to make the game look nicer by taking your attention away from engine and graphic inadequacies. Diablo is a darker more gothic type of game and I promise you, it is dark and scary. I am not sure what you guys are referring to. In it's current incarnation, from videos and from the chances I got to play D3 at Blizzcon last year, it definitely seems dark and scary.

In the 2005 version, it looks pretty bright and that's because it's in Heaven. I hope we still get a piece of heaven in D3... at least with some lore.

I'm not sure what you are talking about "talents from wow" there are no talents in D3... And D2 had talents that were similar to what WoW used...so...They did use the idea of glyphs in WoW to build one of the coolest systems ever though (runes). It is going to be pretty damn cool imo.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
God...

Blizzard already announced that skills will be learned ones and that there will be passives which will enchance them. Exactly like the talant system works in WOW.
D
II didn't have talents at all. There is a difference between talent and a passive.

By the time DII came out, this was as much realism as the game in a fantasy setting cloud have.

As you apparently don't know the game from which the cartoon style grafics in RPG's, Shooters and any big games at all started was silver fall. -_-

ScreenShot3.jpg

Also, what exactly is cartoonish in Starcraft II ?

Dan

Reaction score
God...

Blizzard already announced that skills will be learned ones and that there will be passives which will enchance them. Exactly like the talant system works in WOW.
D
II didn't have talents at all. There is a difference between talent and a passive.

By the time DII came out, this was as much realism as the game in a fantasy setting cloud have.

As you apparently don't know the game from which the cartoon style grafics in RPG's, Shooters and any big games at all started was silver fall. -_-

ScreenShot3.jpg

Also, what exactly is cartoonish in Starcraft II ?

L2Read I never said anything about anyone being the first to do anything. Fail.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how they plan to do all the skills and passives in D3. I know they said there wouldn't be a "talent tree" at some point so I'm not sure what that was referring to. If you can pick through passives that change the effectiveness of your spells that would be kind of disappointing in a way though.

All Blizzard games have a certain quality to them that goes against realistic qualities while still being pretty cool. Blizzard uses bright colors and contrasts them with one another. Do your own research and stop flaming me.

Dan

Reaction score
And where exactly did I flame you ?

The part where you say "God..." and then accuse me of something that you have no way of knowing to be true because it's completely off topic. right there.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I was clearing out what cartoony graphics are, that is why I went as far as posting a screenshot. Like I said on skype, report me if you feel flamed.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I disagree. This is a true diablo, just look at the level desighn, and UI.

As you may have heard, an ex-blizz employee leaked some pictures and videos of the beta (il be posting a new thread for this in a sec), and the UI looks exactly liek the UI from the old diablo 3, except it doesnt stretch from one end of the screen to the other and the 2 spells left/right click are among the middle rather than the sides. i whited out the main screen incase of spoilers, but i will be making a thread for the actual leak so you can see the pics/video in there. personally i havnt watched the video and the only pic i looked at was this one for the UI and some non-ingame pics for lack of spoilers.

New D3 UI:
leaked.png

Old D3 UI:
diablo_3_2005_10.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.