Block Style - For Puzzel Game (Need FeedBack)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
the last one, would be nommal blocks, I would make it big like the faces.

Looking feedback for block type, colors, and background. The blocks with faces would be alive, and react and some. they wouldn't be static pic.

The Game Is Frog Jam, the blocks arnt suppose to be frogs. so if you think it doesn't fit the game title, then let me know as well.

Capturesss.PNG fullface1dir.PNGfullface2dir.PNGmorecolors.PNGnoface.PNGPGame4.PNG

*Edit,

Added A Few more

eggs22.PNGwithShapes.PNG rocksNoFace.PNGwithshapesNoLine.PNG

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Faces looking in different directions is the best, but I'm not diggin' the background so much in any of 'em. How's this game work?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually dont like any of them in particular. It would be nice if you could give us a little background information on the game. What is it exactly that you are dropping there, is there some kind of "storyline" or at least a theme in the game.

rover2341

Reaction score
I actually dont like any of them in particular. It would be nice if you could give us a little background information on the game. What is it exactly that you are dropping there, is there some kind of "storyline" or at least a theme in the game.

Sure.

Imagine cup, is a student contest from Microsoft, and they do them yearly.
We are in the game contest, Windows phone contest, and Windows 8 Contest.

We decide to make a multiplayer "Tetris" Type Game strongly based off of Pokémon puzzle league, in the video above. Its being built for windows phone 7,8 and windows 8.

We have been trying to go with a cartoon type style up beat theme.

Basically in the game there are blocks that come up from the bottom, and you switch them around to get 3 in a row, or a col.

Puzzle Mode, is a bit different, that's where you have to try to remove the blocks given in the least amount of moves possible.

Story Line - We hope if time, to have a single player mode, where you the frog play vs 10 other frogs. one at time, with a simple plot line. but it would mostly be jokes and low key. But at this point we may not have time for it.

Here are the menus we currently have. We haven't updated the online ones, to match the current them so I didn't attach them.

Main Menu.pngAwards.pngSettings.pngLevels (Puzzel Mode).pngLevels 2 (Puzzel Mode).pngWorld (Puzzel Mode).png

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you are playing a frog how about making them blocks various kinds of insects a frog could be eating?
Or maybe lillipads on a lake.
Or something else that is frog-themed?

rover2341

Reaction score
"insects a frog could be eating?" we decided that would look nasty.
"Or maybe lillipads on a lake." that could be good, I fear we may have over used the lilipads though.

One member of our team is pushing for frogs as the blocks that march or jump forward up the screen, but I fear it will be too distracting from the game.

not sure though so far leaning on cartoonish blocks, with water, like in the pictures above. but not sure yet.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I just feel like shapeless blocks would take away the "face" of the game. Its name is Toad Jam but there is no connection to frogs, toads or anything in the actual gameplay.
That might leave a cheap and unpolished feeling about the game.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
If you want a cartoon style make it more appealing and.. fun. Now it has too much gradient.
edit: unless these are alpha graphics, or something.

rover2341

Reaction score
Nope. not alpha. Maybe it should be, but we wont be able to poor tons more time onto this project, we will push it hard for another month, and try to support it after that. We have a deadline in 4 weeks, and one next Sunday. My brother recently added sound effects though out, they arnt industry standard stuff, but the best he could find In a few hours.

So your suggesting make it more "appealing and.. fun". Ya that's the goal.
How can we do this?

Ok, so remove or lessen the gradient is your suggestion. I can see if it looks better. by removing some of it on the buttons.

iPeez

Reaction score
Or maybe just add small fish to the Pond button, Grass, Rocks, you name it, something you can associate with the colour AND the word of each button. And the 'Mountain' and 'Unknown' text seem faded or a different shade of white.

rover2341

Reaction score
"And the 'Mountain' and 'Unknown' text seem faded or a different shade of white. " this is to show there locked.

And thanks for the help :) we got another crazy block style down the pipe ill add when it gets a tad more polish.

iPeez

Reaction score
Could make the "locked" ones text be pressed inn, while the open ones could stand out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.