General BodyGuard glove packs a 500,000 volt punch

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
bodyguard-360.jpg

As fictional nerd Sheldon Cooper once said: "Given enough startup capital and adequate research facilities I could be Batman."

Demonstrating this to be true, Dave Brown and his ArmStar company have unveiled The BodyGuard 9XI - a lightweight crimefighting glove containing a fistful of cool gadgetry.

Brown designed the glove to deter violence but - in case negotiations break down spectacularly - a safety pull-pin preps the four wrist electrodes to function as a stunner and a button in the palm unleashes half a million volts of electricity to temporarily incapacitate the target (the company website assures us that this is all "less than lethal").

Read more here.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I can see it as being non-lethal since it would only go a short distance from one knuckle to another, as opposed to more dangerous combinations like a police officer's tazer or a person holding 2 wires, 1 in each hand that would have the electricity going across the heart/etc.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I just wanted to zap people from a distance. Hoduken-ing eelctric fireballs, much cooler than anything else.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it even legal to wear something like this in public? i mean, this is a weapon or not?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Like this won't get abused.

Is it even legal to wear something like this in public? i mean, this is a weapon or not?
It would be crazy if that was legal. It doesn't matter a "weapon or not" :rolleyes:

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It's more expensive than any other firearm. I can only see this used in corporate back-dealing with shady characters...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It's more expensive than any other firearm. I can only see this used in corporate back-dealing with shady characters...

Whenever I read "shady characters", I always think of Agent Smith doing some Crysis 2 stuffs...

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Now you don't have to be pumped to be a bodyguard :D
Imagine a broken glove and 500000 Volts of Electricity get through your body.
Well, who wants a fried "Human chicken"!? hehehehe

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Imagine a broken glove and 500000 Volts of Electricity get through your body.
Well, who wants a fried "Human chicken"!? hehehehe

I don't think you understand volts and amps. If there are too few amps then it doesn't matter how many volts you have, it won't do anything to you. I could have a trillion volts and 0.001 amps and nothing would happen to me.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
I don't think you understand volts and amps. If there are too few amps then it doesn't matter how many volts you have, it won't do anything to you. I could have a trillion volts and 0.001 amps and nothing would happen to me.
I very strongly doubt that your body has 10^15 Ohms of resistance, though, which would be required for a trillion volts to yield only a 1mA of current.
I also disagree with your assumption that generating a gigawatt of power, which is implied by those voltage and current values, is similar to "nothing happening."

Assuming ideal behaviour of all components and dry skin where the source makes contact (Admitedly, this is a ridiculous assumption. That much voltage and current would make the system behave all wonky.), a human body usually has in the realm of 10^6 Ohms of resistance. Apply a trillion volts across that, and you're looking at 1000000 amperes of current. The power output would be enormous; 10^18W.

The real question there would be what the heck your source is; sustaining 1MA of current for more than a mind-blowingly small fraction of a second is unbelievable no matter what your source is or what your wires are like. Unless you have superconducting wires 30 feet in diameter, and your power source is the Sun, or a magical capacitor of nigh-infinite capacitance, or something.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Shh. I'm making an example. I didn't know the body's natural resistance and didn't care to go look it up so I could have accurate numbers. The point was that if the amps are too low, then a high amount of volts won't do anything.

I would think you did realize this and are just throwing this out to "be smart".

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
I would think you did realize this and are just throwing this out to "be smart".
Possibly. But it's still relevant, because:

The point was that if the amps are too low, then a high amount of volts won't do anything
The issue, though, is that the product of the two matters. If you apply 1TV over something and only get 1mA of current, then the resistance of the thing is 10^15 Ohms. 1mA may not be much current, but 1mA running through a 10^15 Ohm resistor is still going to generate a mind-blowing amount of heat.

V=IR and P=VI

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.