Book Club?

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! It seems that the Book Recommendations thread has done wonderfully, and I'd like to thank those who are taking the time out to share their favourite lit with the class :p

I was wondering if perhaps we could start some sort of a "club" for it? Set a date, pick a book, and have that peice read and ready for discussion by said date? Whoever "hosts" the book can perhaps pose a debatable question or two to get the mindcranks working.

As for reading timeframe, I don't think it's impossible to say two weeks, but maybe improbable; I also think that a month would probably take too long; perhaps a compromise at 3 weeks would be best?

I know that I often have a difficult time sitting down and reading unless it's compulsory or the internet's out (darn that internet!) so I think this could be a great gateway.

As far as literary genre, I think a fair mixup of books would be the obvious...

And as for the first one, I would like to put my name in the hat as the host, and pick something out of the Recommendations thread that I've never picked up before. Of course, nothing's going to be decided without at least a few people interested. That said, anyone who would like to throw some input down on the idea of a literary group, please do!

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
interesting idea, I would try it but i lack the one thing i would need, a library within reasonable distance. :(

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I have a big library close to my school, all I would need to do would be get a membership thingy, which I probably will soon to join =D

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I think there should be different book clubs - like a fantasy, fiction, poetry, Harry Potter, Nancy Sue, etc. How the books shall be picked in each club is up to the club. Anyways, different clubs would be efficient because some members wouldn't want to read Harry Potter while others may. But all clubs would have to start their month book by the beginning of the month till the end of the month, so we can have a steady pattern. Therefore members will be able to keep up with all the clubs, and if the members wants to join multiple clubs then he/she can. Then when a new book month begins, a book will already be chosen for each club. The members can then make a schedule and decide which book(s) is best for them that month.

Also, each club can have other traits. Such as, the fiction club could have more philosophical debates and discussions, while the fantasy club could dig into the text to understand symbolic metaphors, etc.

Book clubs sound great, and I always wanted to join one. :)

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
We could also have individual threads devoted to a book. For example, I could have a thread - The Hobbit. In the thread the people could discuss it, its metaphorical meaning, why it is so good, and anything about it.
Just a suggestion, something else to think about.

esb

Reaction score
I suggest first getting a list of members that would be interested and willing to take their time to go to the library once (or more) a month for a book, and that would be willing to participate in the Book Club.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
We could try to start it (I wouldn't mind helping) but it would be easier if we had User Groups... though sadly we don't so we will just have to make with what we got

I suggest first getting a list of members that would be interested and willing to take their time to go to the library once (or more) a month for a book, and that would be willing to participate in the Book Club.

Well the members booklist would be optional but if you really want to be a member, You think you would go out and at least check for the book...

We could also have individual threads devoted to a book. For example, I could have a thread - The Hobbit. In the thread the people could discuss it, its metaphorical meaning, why it is so good, and anything about it.
Just a suggestion, something else to think about.

I assume that was the original plan (at least for me)... Much like Anime Guides, books guides/threads could be a good idea. I believe we are working towards that point :thup:

I think there should be different book clubs - like a fantasy, fiction, poetry, Harry Potter, Nancy Sue, etc.

As it is, we don't actually have enough members involved (so far) with these ideas. So I think one club (for now, anyways) will meet its purpose. Though we could work out a voting of some kind, etc. (We also have resources such as the Chat and PM system...)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
As it is, we don't actually have enough members involved (so far) with these ideas. So I think one club (for now, anyways) will meet its purpose. Though we could work out a voting of some kind, etc. (We also have resources such as the Chat and PM system...)

I believe there should be genre groups, but should be restricted to several genres. Then those genre groups can become sticky threads while other ones about a certain series or alternative genre can be just regular threads.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I believe there should be genre groups, but should be restricted to several genres. Then those genre groups can become sticky threads while other ones about a certain series or alternative genre can be just regular threads.

We have to get our own forum before that can happen ;)

If we had our own forum I would probably support it, because we could have many more groups. Though, I think it could be discussed what these genres would be restricted too.

I assume genres like; Horror/Mystery/Suspense, and Fantasy/Sci-Fi?

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
And a club leader could decided weekly (monthly?) books.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I assume genres like; Horror/Mystery/Suspense, and Fantasy/Sci-Fi?

Yep, but I think fiction should be added instead of mystery or horror. I dunno, we could have a group of Fiction/Sci-Fi, Horror/Mystery, and then Fantasy alone because it's such a huge favorite.

And a club leader could decided weekly (monthly?) books.

Sounds good to me.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
As for a club leader, I think it should rotate between different people that perform well in the group discussions; like a torch that gets passed around, book-to-book.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Yea, I was thinking that too, but I'm not so sure how the leadership thing would work out... Unless we all decide to mature up and choose a good leader instead of a control freak.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, but I think fiction should be added instead of mystery or horror. I dunno, we could have a group of Fiction/Sci-Fi, Horror/Mystery, and then Fantasy alone because it's such a huge favorite.

We maybe able to work things out, but for now. Lets try one club and if we get a forum we may consider getting more of them. (My Reasoning is it's best to start small then get bigger, then plan big and fall short)

As for a club leader, I think it should rotate between different people that perform well in the group discussions; like a torch that gets passed around, book-to-book.

Yea, I was thinking that too, but I'm not so sure how the leadership thing would work out... Unless we all decide to mature up and choose a good leader instead of a control freak.

Just an Idea, how about going alphabetically down the username list or something around those lines. Its bascially for the most part fair.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Yea, there's another thing I was pondering on, Ken. I'm going to fence sit this topic because if we did that, then members could control two threads at once, which would make things confusing. How about we do what you suggested, and that person can only control one thread per month or something...

Anyways, when someone feels comfortable enough they may post the first book club thread, but I don't think we have enough ideas on paper yet. Just a bit of a warning to the newbies or younger folk, if you post a book club and it's really lame you might get shunned by the community for a few days. Haha, no pressure. ;P

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I am still planning out the layouts for the actual book threads, assuming they are probably like the Anime Guides (Maybe alittle shorter or longer, depending)

But Yes, I still think this Book Club idea is still on the drawing table. Speaking we haven't gotten everything exactly decided yet.

esb

Reaction score
I personally don't quite like Genres. I'd rather go based on theme. You can have many types of horror. Accidents, bad events, murder, ghosts, monsters, zombies, big foot, etc. But it usually depends on the theme of the book to make it enjoyable, not some random slaughter and spread blood, Rinse and repeat.

One more question/comment, how would we choose the book? Would the leader have to already read it? Or will they choose sort of randomly?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well the reader, I think should have some knowleadge about the book and as for now. To make things less complex, I still think 1 Book Club for the Entire forum (for now) would help us keep our sanity (if any of it is left...)

esb

Reaction score
Yes, one book club at a time should be good. I don't think we even have enough members for one :p

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Maybe we should tally up who is interested so that we could get a rough idea of a group.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.