Book Recommendations

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Book Recommendations

Anyone have any books they'd like to recommend to other members? Post a book's Title, Author, and a short description of the book, and why you would recommend it. :)

Book Recommendation Forms - An optional template to help you make a recommendation for books to other members.

Optional Recommendation Form said:
Title:
Author:
Genre:
Themes:
Number of Pages:
About:
Opinion:
Notes: (If Any)
Suggested Guidelines

• Spoiler Tags - Are required for any spoilers or given information that could spoil or damage the plot, climax or interesting part of a Story
  • Respect Others - Not everyone has the same opinions as you, so if you dislike a book that someone suggested or someone dislikes the book you recommended. Please be respectful to that person's opinions.
  • No Adult/Erotic Content - Mature Content is allowed, but sexual and erotic novels are not supported.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Title: Homeland
Title: Exile
Title: Sojourn
Author: R. A. Salvatore
Description:
The Dark Elf Trilogy is a group of books about Drizzt, who is nothing like his race. The Dark Elves are a race with laws based upon evil and chaos, where killing is the only way to stay alive. Drizzt however, is an honest, thoughtful person, who refuses to harm anything if he can help it, even if it means harm will come to himself.
Homeland is about his life growing up within the Dark Elves, Exile is about his escaping his heritage, and Sojourn about his new experiences on the surface.

I would like to recommend The Dark Elf Trilogy to any of those who like Lord of the Rings. It is set in the same time, and it has a lot of similar themes in it. The author has become one of my favorites, and I'm currently reading the third series of this Larger series. (The Dark Elf Trilogy is the second series, and there are a total of five series').

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Reader's Forum: Step 1

Hey, all! I thought I'd get it started with a little something simple. Let's talk fiction! Furthermore, fantasy genre (since Warcraft is... well, won't get any deep into it than that).

What's your favourite series/author?

Mine's definitely R.A. Salvatore's stories of Drizzt; namely, the Dark Elf Trilogy. The stories of Drizzt's world are so often duplicated in character names and references on other programs that it's a little funny.

The Author
This may be innaccurate and if that's the case I apologize to people who know the tale better than me. R.A. Salvatore's literature is the basis for a number of different references in the Dungeons and Dragons books/world; it was his creativity alone that spawned the Underdark (a reference can also be found on Traxex from DotA, if you read her flavour text). Salvatore's imagination has spanned to a great number of interweaving series, his writing style maintaining a simple enough style for the average reader to grasp it, while providing a deeper picture for advanced readers all the while. He is a master of plot; his ability to weave a story around a story is remarkable and it, alone, makes him worth reading.

The Plot - contains spoilers!
Homeland
This is the story in which Drizzt is born; it illustrates his purity in the corrupt world of Menzoberranzan, showing his growth through his childhood and teenage years. This book shows the nature of Dark Elf society, and Drizzt's place within it.
Exile
The second in the series revolves around Drizzt's primal side, as he makes a living for himself in the wilds of the Underdark while struggling through the dangers of the Dark Elves that hunt him and the past that haunts him. In this tale, Drizzt finds his way to the surface.
Sojourn
In the final book in the Dark Elf trilogy, Drizzt struggles to adapt to the new world around him, and tries finding a place amongst a civilization that shuns his kind for their evil ways. This is the story in which Drizzt finds himself a place to call home.

The series is well over 20 books, and wildly successful for a very good reason. I'll be a Salvatore reader for the rest of my life, I already know it, and I hope you take the time to give him a chance! Start from the beginning, and I guarantee you, you'll work your way through them all!

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'm not a big fantasy fan. I don't know any fantasy writers.

Chao

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks.
I'm also a huge Stephen King fan. I'll post stuff on him soon!

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Merged both of your two threads...
Speaking they looked exactly the same and were about the same books Oo

I personally like Political Satire Books (Animal Farm) and Fantasy (Wizard of Earthsea); I will be posting about those soon.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Lol! Dead crazy coincidence!!! lol
I'm not good at writing book reviews >_< but here's a shot.

Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
Genre: Psychological Fiction; Third Person.
Themes: Perfection, Sacrifices.
About: A perfect utopia in the future, where people have their life chosen by 'The Elders'. Jonas (protagonists) is living in his small community. He's exciting to get his 'job' at year 12, but is noticing that something is missing. There are times where he can't describe himself, and feels as if words were missing, or feelings were missing. When he receives his job, he finds out the truth of his community, of the perfect society. Together (the reader and Jonas) finds out why perfectionism might not be right.
Opinion: This book was really good. It has good description and gives a thoughtful perspective of Jonas' life and world. We soon find that it is possible to live in a perfect world with no violence, pain, or hate. The cost however, would be feelings and emotions, which to some, is the reason we live.

Title: Go Ask Alice
Author: Diary Anonymous, Beatrice Sparks?
Genre: Diary; First Person.
Themes: Drug Addiction, Hope.
About: A 14 year old girl writes a diary of her life, and her drug addiction. How it started, ended, and started many times again. The people she meets, what she goes through, how she feels, and her hopes. A very descriptive and emotional diary, as the reader can notice her sudden change of mood when she's addicted to drugs, and when she's not. See what she goes through in life to get some drugs, like LSD and Acid, like runaways, sex, and rape.
Opinion: I really enjoyed this book. Made me sad at times, and gave me a somewhat new look at life. Even though you may be trying your hardest, there will always be others that try to bring you down and who bring temptations. I've known drug addicts, and many times they've tried to break their addiction but they don't manage to.
Note: The author is controversial. The diary is supposed to be anonymous, but Beatrice Sparks, a psychologist, says she published it as one of her patient's diaries. She has published other patient's journals and diaries, and some have been proven to be made up, which may leave the doubt that Go Ask Alice was made up as well. Nevertheless, a great book.

@Ken: Animal Farm was GREAT!!!
Random note: I think Darthfett's signature stretches the page... :p

Chao

Reaction score
Title: Needful Things
Author: Stephen King
Genre: Horror/Thriller
Themes: Desire, Deceit
About: A small "everybody knows everybody" town gets a new store; the owner, a man named Mr. Gaunt, is charming, and his store seems to have something for just about everybody; items so rare and wonderful and valuable that the people who want them don't think they can pay for them! Alas, it's not money Mr. Gaunt wants... and the favours he asks for cause more devasastation than any town should ever endure....
Opinion: Honestly one of my favourite books, ever. It's so twisted, and so well put together, that it just baffles me! I had never had my jaw drop reading a book until this one!

Title: The Zombie Survival Guide
Author: Max Brooks
Genre: Field Guide
Themes: Survival? Haha...
About: It is LITERALLY what it says it is. There is no plot basis, but there are still tremendous amounts of creatively put information. The book itself looks like a field manual for military operation; very plain looking. It's about 260 pages.
Opinion: Honestly, after I finished reading this, I thought to myself, "man, if zombies ever did... I'd be set." If you're the type who wouldn't mind immersing yourself in a scenario like that, then I have to label this a 'must read' for you!

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Title: Murder on the Orient Express
Author: Agatha Christie
Genre: Mystery
Themes:
About: Famed detective Hercule Poirot is snowed in on a train with a dozen interesting passengers, when a murder is committed. Soon it becomes evident that things are not as they seem..
Opinion: One of the best endings in fiction.

Title: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Political Satire
Themes: Nationalism, anti-Semitism, Sexual Repression, Censorship
About: A futuristic, dystopian society.
Opinion: Very entertaining and thought-provoking.

Title: The Count of Monte Christo
Author: Alexandre Dumas
Genre: Romantic Adventure
Themes: Revenge, Forgiveness, Justice, Mercy
About: Edmont Dantes is a dashing young man who becomes captain of a prosperous ship, marries a beautiful woman, and is loved by everyone around him. Almost everyone, that is.
Opinion: Shows the roots of modern adventure.

Title: The Catcher in the Rye
Author: J.D. Salinger
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Themes: Coming-of-Age
About: When he gets expelled from a boarding school, Holden Caulfield embarks on one of the most iconic journeys in American literature.
Opinion: Changed my life.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Ender's game/shadow are great Books.
I didn't feel like doing all that descriptive stuff.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Title: Cirque Du Freak 1: A Living Nightmare
Author: Darren Shan
Genre: Horror/Adventure
Description: In the tradition of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, the bestselling Cirque Du Freak is the frightening saga of a young boy whose visit to a mysterious freak show leads him on a journey into a dark world of vampires. Author Darren Shan's vivid detail and original voice will have young readers glued to their seats in terror. Filled with grotesque creatures, murderous vampires, and a pretrifying ending, Cirque Du Freak will chill, thrill, and leave readers begging for more.
-Copied from the book.
Darren Shan is an ordinary boy, living an ordinary life. He and his 4 best friends find a mysterious flyer advertising a traveling freak show, and soon, Darren is entangled into a dark world of horror! (lol, tried to make it cool)

And I also suggest the rest of the 12 in the Cirque Du Freak series. I have them all. :D They are amazing!

Reaction score
Title: Brave New World
Author: Aldous Huxley
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia

Title: Catch-22
Author: Joseph Heller
Genre: Satire, Historical Fiction

Title: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Author: Robert A. Heinlein
Genre: Science Fiction

Title: Neuromancer
Author: William Gibson
Genre: Science Fiction, 'Cyberpunk'

Title: Notes from Underground
Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Genre: Memoir, Psychological Fiction

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Nice picks TheDamien and Seb. I really can't think of anything to add. I'm a bit brain dead... Hm...

Title: Cat's Cradle
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Genre: Science Fiction

Title: Of Mice and Men
Author: John Steinbeck
Genre: Fiction

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Title: A Roadside Picnic
Authors: Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
Genre: Science Fiction Short Novel

Probably isn't in print anymore. It was written in the 1970's... in the Soviet Union. Good story though.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Title: Fahrenheit 451
Author: Ray Bradbury
Genre: Science Fiction(Sort of...)
Theme: Censorship

Title: Sword of Truth Series(Lots of books)
Author: Terry Goodkind
Genre: Fantasy

Title: Among The Hidden
Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Genre: Not exactly sure
About: Because of a supposed food shortage, a limit of two children per family has been implemented. This is about Luke Garner, a boy with two older brothers. An illegal third child. First in a series, the rest is also recommended.

Title: The Hitchhikers Guide (A trilogy in 5 books)
Author: Douglas Adams
Genre: Science Fiction, Humor

Title: Artemis Fowl Series
Author: Eoin Colfer
Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy

Title: Lord of The Flies
Author: William Golding

Not exactly a "book", but read as books in my english classes.
Title: Anything by Shakespeare
Author: Shakespeare

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Title: Nine Stories
Author: J.D. Salinger
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Title: It
Author: Stephen King
Genre: Horror

Title: Watership Down
Author: Richard Adams
Description: A group of rabbits fight for a new home in the heroic style of Homer or Virgil.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Updated the 1st post (made it look more official, and added some "suggested guidelines".); Though you can change it if you wish. (I thought it would help people out.)

I also cleaned up the thread... (From when I merged the threads)

Title: Animal Farm
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Political Satire
Themes: Fairy Tale, Soviet Union Satire
Number of Pages: 91
About: The short novel is an allegory in which animals play the roles of the Bolshevik revolutionaries and overthrow and oust the human owners of the farm, setting it up as a commune in which, at first, all animals are equal; however, class and status disparities soon emerge between the different animal species. The novel describes how a society's ideologies can be manipulated and twisted by those in positions of social and political power, including how a utopian society is made impossible by the corrupting nature of the very power necessary to create it.
Opinion: I enjoyed the book, but you need to get the background that it is making fun of the Bolshevik Revolution and the Soviet Union to get some of the knowleadge. The book is nice and short; Though I suggest it to everyone.
Notes: None

Chao

Reaction score
Very nice pick. One of my favorite series.

I could NOT finish these. I don't know why; the fifth/sixth ones kinda led me in a different direction and I ended up back on Salvatore; Goodkind's a great writer, but there was just something about his style in portraying the conflicts that just shut me down.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Looking back at my post, I don't see how I managed to forget my favourite series of all time...

Title: Bartimaeus Trilogy
1. The Amulet of Samarkand
2. The Golem's Eye
3. Ptolemy's Gate

Author: Jonathon Stroud
About: A world where magicians rule. Magicians have no real power, except one: They can summon "demons" into the world, and bind them into the magicians service. This trilogy focuses on three people: A magician, John Mandrake, A "demon", Bartimaeus, and a commoner(Those that are not magicians), Kitty Jones.

And just to throw in another good book
Title: The Outsiders
Author: S.E. Hinton
Genre: 1960s gang fight (Positive that's not a real genre, but whatever, not sure exactly how to classify it)
About: The war between "Greasers", the poorer kids, and "Socs", the rich kids. It's an old book, but really good. Focuses mostly on the lives of Ponyboy and his family and friends.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
trb. You just named the 3 books I just finished reading. And I have to say, it was very satisfying.... Though, I can't believe the ending. :/ Won't say what happens.... OK MAYBE I WILL!

Can't believe Nathaniel died. I would have thought Stroud'd make him and Kitty get together. You could tell he made them have feelings for each other.

Title: The Count of Monte Christo
Author: Alexandre Dumas
Genre: Romantic Adventure
Themes: Revenge, Forgiveness, Justice, Mercy
about: Edmont Dantes is a dashing young man who becomes captain of a prosperous ship, marries a beautiful woman, and is loved by everyone around him. Almost everyone, that is.
Opinion: Shows the roots of modern adventure.

I'm going to read that book :D

Anywho, here's my suggestions:

Title: The Inheritance Cycle (Yeah. Now it's the 'Cycle')
Author: Christopher Paolini
Themes: Dragons and Dragon Riders. Don't forget the occasional Tyrant thrown in.
About: The Inheritance Cycle is about Eragon and Sapphira. They are Rider and Dragon. The last free Rider and Dragon. Free of Galbatorix's control that is. They fight along side the Varden, the Elves, and the Dwarfs against Galbatorix's army and ever-growing might. Can they stop him? Find out in Eragon, Eldest, Brisngr, and whatever Paolini decides to name the fourth book.

Title: The Mortal Instruments (A Trilogy)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Themes: Demons and Shadowhunters (Demon killers/hunters etc.) And the insane Tyrant..... Again.
About: The Mortal Instruments is centered around Clarissa Fray, a mudane. Or is she? In this action-packed story, love-strewn Clary must find Valentine, a rogue Shadowhunter who wants to kill all Downworlders, or Half-Breeds of Demons and Humans. Can Clary do it? With the help of her friends Simon, Jace, Isabelle, and Alec we'll just have to read on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.