Bootcamp drivers XP

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a MacBook running 10.6 OS X.

I am using Boot-Camp to run Windows XP SP3 as well.

I do not have the original OS X install disc to download the required drivers, so I fetched them from apple.com.

However, when transfred to XP with a USB stick, the files will not execute. When clicked, run, anything... NOTHING happens.

I've read about finding certain registry keys (something to do with language), but they don't exist, or aren't found on my computer.

Help!?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a MacBook running 10.6 OS X.

I am using Boot-Camp to run Windows XP SP3 as well.

I do not have the original OS X install disc to download the required drivers, so I fetched them from apple.com.

However, when transfred to XP with a USB stick, the files will not execute. When clicked, run, anything... NOTHING happens.

I've read about finding certain registry keys (something to do with language), but they don't exist, or aren't found on my computer.

Help!?
Any BootCamp drivers obtainable from Apple.com are updates, not full software (unless I'm mistaken and you found them somehow for your specific model?). You also need the installation disc for your specific Mac.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL830

That is the link to where the drivers are downloaded.
That's for Leopard (10.5) not Snow Leopard (10.6). It's also an old version, too. And, it's also an update.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Hmmm... Well the Disc is not an option (I'm currently in Montreal, and the disc resides in a box in North Carolina). Is there a way to specifically download the drivers?

This is what I understood to be the drivers:
Apple.com said:
Note: This download contains complete copies of Boot Camp Windows XP Drivers (version 2.1). If you have Boot Camp drivers already installed, it will update them. If you do not have any Boot Camp drivers installed, it will install version 2.1 drivers onto your already installed Windows OS.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Well, since you're using Snow Leopard, I'm pretty sure you need the Boot Camp 3 updates which aren't available without Boot Camp 3 first installed. Keep in mind, that the drivers on the disc aren't just for Boot Camp (i.e: reading Mac partitions, support for brightness controls on the keyboard, etc.) but also for your specific Mac's mobo, GPU, CPU, and whatever else. That's mainly why I don't think it'll work even if somehow you did get 2.1 working.

I'd recommend asking on forums.macrumors.com. It's a pretty big Mac forum, and you should be able to get more help there.

EDIT: IIRC, a couple of days ago when I looked at the drivers link you posted, it said you must install BootCamp 2.1 prior to SP3. So, I don't think 2.1'll work anyway.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I'm honestly quite confused, I don't understand what you're saying, other than go to macrumors. (I read some solutions there, which did not work, as I noted: checking language etc.)

The website said the drivers are all you need to run SP3 XP on your mac --> Doesn't work =confused

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'm honestly quite confused, I don't understand what you're saying, other than go to macrumors. (I read some solutions there, which did not work, as I noted: checking language etc.)

The website said the drivers are all you need to run SP3 XP on your mac --> Doesn't work =confused
In short, I'm pretty sure you're downloading the wrong version of Boot Camp. This is version 2.x which is for Leopard (10.5), version 3.x is for Snow Leopard (10.6).

It also says that Boot Camp 2.1 (which you are downloading) must be installed prior to Windows XP SP3 which you already have, so that might be why it isn't even running. Even if it did work though, it'd probably be wrong/old drivers and software.

I don't know a work around for this, but others on macrumors might, so I suggest making a new thread there.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
But I'm not downloading Boot Camp 2.1, I'm downloading the drivers for XP. Boot Camp comes standard on every Snow Leopard OS.

I suppose I will make a thread there, thanks for your help! (I believe I already +rep'd you)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
You've got Boot Camp Assistant on Snow Leopard which lets you easily make a second partition for Windows. You've got Boot Camp drivers (which you're trying to download) and you've got the Boot Camp software it installs in the Control Panel.

It's Boot Camp 2.1, and includes driver support for XP. It's the wrong version though, you need the newer one.

All right, hope it gets solved for you! No worries, and cheers :)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Sorry about that, you're right. I just didn't understand your older post. I need the 3.1 and 3.2 drivers, which I have now downloaded - and am currently transferring over.

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.