Report Boredom has more to do with you than the situation

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It creeps up on you as you sit at your desk. You yawn, scan the web, check Facebook but still the ennui lingers. At some point almost every day we feel bored, at least for a little while. We’ve all experienced that feeling of listlessness, but what is boredom? Is it not having something exciting to do? Is it being unable to pay attention to what you’re doing?

One team of Canadian researchers was apparently interested enough in boredom to find out. "Intuitively, it is pretty clear that boredom is a common human experience and little research has been done to bear out that fact,” says John Eastwood, an associate professor of psychology at York University in Toronto.

Eastwood and his colleagues observed that people believe boredom relates to their environment: We think if a lecture or a conversation is boring, we can simply change topics to avoid the dullness.

“We attribute [boredom] with problems in the environment rather than the problems with ourselves,” explains co-researcher Mark Fenske, associate professor of neuroscience and applied cognitive science at the University of Guelph and co-author of the book, “The Winner’s Brain.”

I wondered if the environment you are at right now affects how bored you are if you have to do something at that place, but you can't seemed to be inspired to finish it. I know I have come across similar situations plenty of times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
Oh, boredom is subjective... Really big suprise there...

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Being forced to do 3D modelling when I have little interest in making it..
That makes me bored..

Having to teach designers how to use Unity3D..
That make me bored, too..

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Climbing up and down ladders, that gets old real fucking quick.

Waiting in line at Walmart... I go from being like "About to check out, about to check out, I'll be home before I know it." It ends with me, flipping through the magazines, going "Wow this chick I don't know got really fat for her new role in some fucking thing...." Speaking of which, Cosmo has a shockingly little collection of hot girl pictures. 17 Magazine, on the other hand, has what might be minors, I'm not really sure, but it's best to be safe and not look at. Which makes me sad when I'm in the Walmart line about to check out. So double emotions FTW.

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
There was a spammer that posted after varine, his post has since been deleted

Varine

Reaction score
What, you can't be me? Whatever dude I'm awesome. World could use more me's. An army of me's would solve all the worlds problems.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What, you can't be me? Whatever dude I'm awesome. World could use more me's. An army of me's would solve all the worlds problems.
At least the food problem would be solved if an army of "you" would suddenly appear.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, It depends what kind of food you mean. Btw: Hunger isn't the only problem out there.
I guess you can also drink their blood and use them as slave workers.
Their rotting carcasses could also fertilize the ground.

Varine

Reaction score
Uhh no. I would just eliminate everyone else, and we would have world peace with primarily me's enforcing order of other people who for the most part agree with what I think. Very effective method of achieving world peace.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I guess you can also drink their blood and use them as slave workers.
Their rotting carcasses could also fertilize the ground.
That sounds absolutely disgusting. Why in the world would someone drink their blood?

Uhh no. I would just eliminate everyone else, and we would have world peace with primarily me's enforcing order of other people who for the most part agree with what I think. Very effective method of achieving world peace.
Holy crap hmm.. But wouldn't it be a boring world, if all agreed with you?
Well and also, "don't be so sure it would be peace!"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.