Health Brain On Sugar: Study in Rats Shows High-Fructose Diet Sabotages Learning, Memory

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
ScienceDaily (May 15, 2012) — Attention, college students cramming between midterms and finals: Binging on soda and sweets for as little as six weeks may make you stupid.

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning -- and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

While earlier research has revealed how fructose harms the body through its role in diabetes, obesity and fatty liver, this study is the first to uncover how the sweetener influences the brain.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Memory loss does not make a person stupid :rolleyes: Btw: Did they ask the rats to take a IQ test?

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
ya they did. They came up with the iphone during there iq test. Thus they deemed them stupid.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Oh, damn!
I eat nice candy every day!
I guess I better check in to a mental institute..

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Memory loss does not make a person stupid :rolleyes: Btw: Did they ask the rats to take a IQ test?

well it's not really memory loss, its hampering memory and learning. Meaning one cannot learn as effectively as one that takes more omega 3 than sugar, and so when you can't learn or remember as well as another you would normally be deemed 'stupid'.

Luckily for me since ive started gym ive cut down severely on my sugar intakes and who knows i might just get high distinctions in my finals :D

camelCase

Reaction score
I am so going to fail =(
I qwerty derp herp *@&#! yololololololo dvorak =/

FireCat

Reaction score
Meaning one cannot learn as effectively as one that takes more omega 3 than sugar
Everyone knows any kind of sugar isn't healthy, but does it really make you stupid?
Seriously, this research Using poor rats and been fed with soda and sweets (24/7 eh?) hmm six weeks. and nothing else? It's no wonder they would feel a bit messed up.

i might just get high distinctions in my finals :D
Good luck :p

Zakyath

Reaction score
>Everyone knows any kind of sugar isn't healthy, but does it really make you stupid?
Seriously, this research Using poor rats and been fed with soda and sweets (24/7 eh?) hmm six weeks. and nothing else? It's no wonder they would feel a bit messed up.

you didn't actually read the article, did you? :p

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Memory loss does not make a person stupid

what about the inability to remember things? such as things that you need in order to learn? does that make a person stupid? if not, then please clarify what is the distinction of a stupid person

FireCat

Reaction score
what about the inability to remember things? such as things that you need in order to learn? does that make a person stupid? if not, then please clarify what is the distinction of a stupid person
Stupidity takes many forms. Well, you see "Someone can be smart but still make stupid decisions" But Seriously. there are many different causes and symptoms of memory loss
and it can include the inability to remember things either short term Or long term. Such as Under stress, Alzheimer’s disease, recent head injury, feeling tired etc...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
My kind of life:

"Oh my god! I feel so stressful after finding out I am about to miss my project deadline. The professor may or may not be satisfied. What do I do? What do I do?"

IQ drops 1 point for every 3 minutes passed thinking about this without doing anything.

camelCase

Reaction score
Stupidity takes many forms. Well, you see "Someone can be smart but still make stupid decisions" But Seriously. there are many different causes and symptoms of memory loss
and it can include the inability to remember things either short term Or long term. Such as Under stress, Alzheimer’s disease, recent head injury, feeling tired etc...

A smart man making stupid decisions is still smart =)

We don't really care about the "many different causes and symptoms of memory loss".
We care that eating foods high in HFCS harms your memory; and, from this article, it does.

The reason many people do not normally consider those afflicted with "stress, Alzheimer's disease, recent head injury, feeling tired etc..." stupid is because it's considered politically incorrect; you get slammed by others for doing so.

Still, those people are, indeed, stupid while under the afflicted.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The term stupid is very vague. I dont think all of us define it the same way.
I wouldnt call somebody stupid because he is inable to learn something (whatever the reason might be) but because he doesnt want to learn something for no apparent reason or a clouded mindset.
But thats me.

FireCat

Reaction score
The term stupid is very vague. I dont think all of us define it the same way. I wouldnt call somebody stupid because he is inable to learn something (whatever the reason might be).
+1

We care that eating foods high in HFCS harms your memory; and, from this article, it does.
Show me real proof that someone become stupid from fructose ?
Just don't show me a rat lol

camelCase

Reaction score
Why do I need to show you proof?
I just said that the article mentions that it hampers ones memory and learning and that's all everyone was discussing; all everyone cared about.
Until you brought up the fact that other things cause the loss of memory and inability to learn.

I never said the article was absolutely right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.